yosco

Kingfish

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

The instantaneous scent release from bloodworms is amazing. You probably observed this more than I have, but when I had my 50 gal saltwater tank, I'd see the reponse of Spot to bloods and it was mindblowingly fast. Probably similar with kingfish.

21 hours ago, JimJ said:

When I try the surf for kings in NJ Rather than spend $13/ doz for bloods when kings may or may not be around I buy the smallest raw shrimp at the supermarket for $5-6 a pound. If kings are around shrimp or clam are almost as good as bloods.  In Florida shrimp is a popular bait as well as clam and sand fleas and is sold in bait shops for southern whiting (cousins to the northern whiting -kingfish). If no kings are around and I have left over shrimp I fry up an appetizer in butter.  Try that with leftover bloods.  Years ago (1960s) NJ bait shops would sell small frozen shrimp for kings in pint or quart containers. Shops in my area don’t sell shrimp.  No idea why shrimp isn’t popular bait in NJ any more. 

I used shrimp, blood worms and mullet when I had no idea what I was doing in the OBX one summer. Had equal luck on shrimp and bloodworms for small reds, trout and a few other spieces. For the price, the small frozen shrimp was amazing and a lot easier to deal with than the bloodworms! 

A little trick that my buddy Harry passed on to me. He uses a top and bottom rig with two store bought kingfish hooks with small spinner blades. Just about every tackle shop carries them. Harry has his favorite spots that he is pretty sure holds the kings. As soon as he sets up he waits for the first hit. Kings feed like they are on steroids and it's rattle rattle rattle. Harry sets the hook and then does nothing. Kings don't toss the hook very often and he lets it go crazy down there because it will attract other kings. He will wait about two minutes before he reels in. Amazing how many double headers he pulls in using this method. 

11 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

My buddy Harry was the best I ever seen for kingfish and he always started on Mothers Day. His favorite fish from the rocks or beach and he would try fishbites but never went without bloods. Said that it was always about 7-1 on the bloods.  

How far south ?

No way was that in MoCo

9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

How far south ?

No way was that in MoCo

Wildwood area. Harry's been the king of the kings down here for thirty years. 

8 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

I stop by his place on the boards for a gyro every time I'm down there.  But I never get the chance to say I saw him on the Kingy episode. 

2 hours ago, fishless said:

I stop by his place on the boards for a gyro every time I'm down there.  But I never get the chance to say I saw him on the Kingy episode. 

Sadly Harry sold his place on the walk last year. Not the same up there without him and his wife. Still comes down to fish but spends a lot of time traveling the world now. Great guy. We tell him he was the best and so was his food. Now he is just another guy with an accent. :D

11 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

I like the "wait for a double header" tip... I get too impatient when I hook one :)

I did find when fishing for spot when they were thick a few years ago, I'd tend to leave it / jig it, to get a double header, just never waited on it for kings

I use the fishbites for the kids on our OBX

vacation and catch lots. I use tiny pieces,

1/4 in. Do u use tiny pieces of the bw's also.?

Don't u just have little washed out skins after

a couple of minutes? Just leave them soak?

Yosco, I use small finger nail size pieces when I'm targeting Kings and that piece would last a good amount of time.  Perhaps they changed the recipe so that they dissolve quicker???

Posted (edited) · Report post

Local B&Ts down in cape may area sell spot/kingfish rigs.  Really just a top bottom rig with floats on each hook.  I like to start out with one hook with about a quarter inch of bloodworm and the other with fishbites.  I throw out as far as I can cast with a light setup, let it sit for about three mins, then take a couple reels and repeat.  Eventually I'll get a hit and try to cast to that area next.  Finding the distance from the shore where they're holding is key.  Sometimes it's just past the breakers, sometimes its right in the middle of them,  depends on the day.  They're a lot of fun but usually not much size to them.  They keep me busy during the doldrums of summer when not much else is going on out front here in CMC.  Also ideal because I can just walk my local beach which is totally flat and awful for stripers and blues.  They're very tasty, and the heads make great bait for brown sharks.  

Edited by Bluetaildragger

7 hours ago, fishless said:

Yosco, I use small finger nail size pieces when I'm targeting Kings and that piece would last a good amount of time.  Perhaps they changed the recipe so that they dissolve quicker???

My bad FL. I wasn't clear. I was trying to ask if u guys use

as small of a piece of real BW as I do FB'S. Besides catching

as well as they do, the best thing about the FB's is how long they

last and as hard as they try, the kids cant cast them off.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, yosco said:

My bad FL. I wasn't clear. I was trying to ask if u guys use

as small of a piece of real BW as I do FB'S. Besides catching

as well as they do, the best thing about the FB's is how long they

last and as hard as they try, the kids cant cast them off.

Which FB did you like the best? 

I have Shrimp, clam, Sand flea. I haven’t seen the Bloodworm ?