yosco

Kingfish

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

6 or 7 years ago I spent a weekend in the

Strathmere area and caught some kingfish.

I rarely get that far south and was wondering

if guys down that way had good success this

past season? Thanks

I've never fished for them, but whenever I try for them out front in Margate, I usually get em (obviously in the summer). They are good fun and good eating! I assume you can catch em off of any beach in Jersey

Edited by jackson515

3 hours ago, jackson515 said:

I've never fished for them, but whenever I try for them out front in Margate, I usually get em (obviously in the summer). They are good fun and good eating! I assume you can catch em off of any beach in Jersey

"Ive never fished for them, but whenever I try for them"????

Seems to be more of a South  Jersey bite as far as I no.

Might be down that way for a while this summer and

curious if it was still a worthwhile option.

We usually have a decent run of kingfish down here in Wildwood. My friend Harry is one of the best and he always starts on Mothers Day. Doesn't get many but they are the largest of the season. Just about any inlet down here has at least one hot spot and also Cape May Point area. Bloodworms. Harry and I did a show a few years back and in about two hours we had over fifty kings. Every year is different and don't believe the fishing reports. I've seen more bloodworms sold chasing kings that just weren't there.   

15 hours ago, yosco said:

Thanks. I'll be with a couple of BILs that dont

fish much and thought this might be an easy

option. How do you feel about using fishbites?

As the water warms up fishbites seem to work just as good as bloodworms, but early on the bloodworms are the ticket. 

When I try the surf for kings in NJ Rather than spend $13/ doz for bloods when kings may or may not be around I buy the smallest raw shrimp at the supermarket for $5-6 a pound. If kings are around shrimp or clam are almost as good as bloods.  In Florida shrimp is a popular bait as well as clam and sand fleas and is sold in bait shops for southern whiting (cousins to the northern whiting -kingfish). If no kings are around and I have left over shrimp I fry up an appetizer in butter.  Try that with leftover bloods.  Years ago (1960s) NJ bait shops would sell small frozen shrimp for kings in pint or quart containers. Shops in my area don’t sell shrimp.  No idea why shrimp isn’t popular bait in NJ any more. 

Unlike the years gone by KINGFISH today are primarily a surf line catch and on lumps inside 3 miles...The inshore bite has gone down hill thanks to beach replenishment destroying  the inshore creeks and channels with  imported beach sand . I have logs prior to the dumb ass ongoing beach replenishment of days with 60-80 kingfish on one tide anchored up close to an original sand bar near a mussel bed... Try finding a  mussel bed inside today??? They have been wiped out with beach replenishment sand...Just another example of politicians agreeing to the bulls@#$ put out by the Army Corp

4 hours ago, JimJ said:

When I try the surf for kings in NJ Rather than spend $13/ doz for bloods when kings may or may not be around I buy the smallest raw shrimp at the supermarket for $5-6 a pound. If kings are around shrimp or clam are almost as good as bloods.  In Florida shrimp is a popular bait as well as clam and sand fleas and is sold in bait shops for southern whiting (cousins to the northern whiting -kingfish). If no kings are around and I have left over shrimp I fry up an appetizer in butter.  Try that with leftover bloods.  Years ago (1960s) NJ bait shops would sell small frozen shrimp for kings in pint or quart containers. Shops in my area don’t sell shrimp.  No idea why shrimp isn’t popular bait in NJ any more. 

Thanks. Ill give that a shot.

Last year LBI was the farthest north that anyone got them with any consistency

I fished a number of times in southern MoCo without a single one

Been two or three years since there's been a target-able bite up here

21 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Last year LBI was the farthest north that anyone got them with any consistency

I fished a number of times in southern MoCo without a single one

Been two or three years since there's been a target-able bite up here

+1  Very respectable kingfishing in LBI last summer.  Best in a while.    

Lavalette not so much.  

Somebody mentioned Fishbites, I did well with them on Labor Day wknd a couple of yrs back in MoCo.  Last year they were back again.  Buddy did well with the same offering but I cldnt get there to jump in on the action. 

31 mins ago, fishless said:

Somebody mentioned Fishbites, I did well with them on Labor Day wknd a couple of yrs back in MoCo.  Last year they were back again.  Buddy did well with the same offering but I cldnt get there to jump in on the action. 

Yeah I usually try to get a pack of them and just keep them in my bag for the season. They work really well for small stuff (I even caught a decent triggerfish on one), but the water needs to be warm for them to be productive.

9 mins ago, jackson515 said:

Yeah I usually try to get a pack of them and just keep them in my bag for the season. They work really well for small stuff (I even caught a decent triggerfish on one), but the water needs to be warm for them to be productive.

Exactly and like I was saying I did most of my damage around Labor Day wknd and the same held true for last year into Sept. 

My buddy Harry was the best I ever seen for kingfish and he always started on Mothers Day. His favorite fish from the rocks or beach and he would try fishbites but never went without bloods. Said that it was always about 7-1 on the bloods.