The Salty Fisherman

Some Questions About the ZX-20/22

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I am potentially looking into buying a Zeebaas sometime in the future.  I have a couple of questions regarding the ZX-20/ZX-22.  For one, it would be great if anyone who owns a ZX-20 or 22  could post a picture of one of these reels with a common object, or a reel that is similar in size.  Next, I would love to know what type of rod people fish these reels on, specifically length, so I could look into what type of rod I would potentially pair one of these reels with.  And lastly, what's everyone's experience using Zeebaas reels?  

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Salty

10 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Hi everyone, 

I am potentially looking into buying a Zeebaas sometime in the future.  I have a couple of questions regarding the ZX-20/ZX-22.  For one, it would be great if anyone who owns a ZX-20 or 22  could post a picture of one of these reels with a common object, or a reel that is similar in size.  Next, I would love to know what type of rod people fish these reels on, specifically length, so I could look into what type of rod I would potentially pair one of these reels with.  And lastly, what's everyone's experience using Zeebaas reels?  

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Salty

First of all, anytime ZB comes up in a post topic its basically popping open a :worms:...

Second.. did u want a pic of it with a common object? Or another reel its size? Either way I think I've got you covered below 

ZB22 with common socks 

20190211_030846.jpg.0ba9bbbbccd65e00a912c776bec2e4ad.jpg

ZB22 with a partially used roll of TP (was gonna go with a fresh roll, but a partially used roll seemed more common)

20190211_031906.jpg.785224fe78f6a6320cef118334475eca.jpg

ZB22 with a beer.

20190211_030832.jpg.9982b0ab9b12a39a4a4e05ba776f154e.jpg

And finally... a ZB22 with a 6000 sized stella

20190211_031340.jpg.2710e8f085cd46e37c54f9d4806b52d0.jpg

Next up, rod selection.. this specific 22 has sat on several rods but it found its forever home on a GSB 1201L. It's an absolutely fantastic combo and I have a hard time putting it down sometimes... but I'll tell ya, I ordered another 22 a few weeks back and I'm literally chomping at the bit to put one on that new 10' L BH prototype rod as soon as it's available.... played with it at the show and it doesnt take a PhD to know thats gonna be a combo to recon with.. It may even retire my GSB (but I'll deny ever saying that)...

I know a lot of guys put them on 9 footers and a lot of others who have them on 11s... it's really going to boil down to personal preference more than anything else, and dont let anyone tell ya otherwise.. keep in mind it's a heavy reel..

Aaaaaand lastly.... my experience with ZB.... oh boy. Here we go.. this is usually where the s#!t hits the fan:poopfan:

I love my ZB reels and I can not say enough good things about the company, the owner, the employees, or the service... If your asking this guy, there is NO better reel made for the surf, hands down... I have now, or have had, probably every single other reel your going to see guys pop in a mention.. VS originals and X's, VR's, all the viable PENN options, Shimanos of every variety, Daiwas out the a$$ and all the other usual suspects...  in this one man's HUMBLE OPINION, ZB is the king of the hill.. I have a list of reasons at least 4 post-it notes long why it's my favorite, but I'm not gonna go on and on about it because I'll certainly find a few who will adamantly disagree with me and it's never worth the debate.. if your still curious feel free to PM me... 

Suffice it to say, if your looking for a true surf reel made to be used hard on real fish without problems caused by the harsh surf environment, you'll be hard pressed to find any better than a ZB.. plus its USA made, which should still mean something I hope.  

Side note... imho the ZB20 is a waste of time (yes... many will disagree)... still a very solid and well built reel, but not as aesthetically pleasing or proportioned as its siblings.. the body of all 4 ZB reels is the same size. Consequently, the 20 size seems like the sibling with a disproportionately small head, if that makes any sense... it feels like, and looks like, the spool should be larger to fit the body with better symmetry..

If your heart is set on 20 size, maybe reach out to them and inquire about production on their ZB lite prototype.. it's a 20 size spool and a significantly smaller body..

pics of the prototype below

20180912_185952.jpg.a627021fd240b62d766ea5ab6ff05b0d.jpg20180912_185959.jpg.e60a58f4dc26ab09a3fab7480fc762b8.jpg

Edited by Beachglass Guru

My spooled 22 weighs 21.2 oz and it's been used on 10'6" and 11' rods.  This is my second one, first was an early Gen 2 with some mechanical issues that needed to be sorted out and black anodizing that turned gold over time.  Some easily repaired mechanics with the 2nd also.  Best reel(s) I've ever owned, but heavier than I prefer.  VS 150 on 9' rules. 

Zx22 to the left (red)

zx25 in the middle (blue /silver)

zx27 to the right (black)

size comparison 

139A9FC4-9914-4A71-AB15-E6BCD88BF8AD.jpegThe body of the reel is the same for all four reels.

spools and rotor cups change with size

Edited by BassPD

Have to agree with everything beach glass said .. I was lucky enough to get 25 for little money .. instantly became my fav on my 132-1 cut down to 10’8” off butt  and built super light .. really gonna boil down to preference as to what rod /reel size combo works best for you and your size and style of fishing 

4 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

First of all, anytime ZB comes up in a post topic its basically popping open a :worms:...

Second.. did u want a pic of it with a common object? Or another reel its size? Either way I think I've got you covered below 

ZB22 with common socks 

20190211_030846.jpg.0ba9bbbbccd65e00a912c776bec2e4ad.jpg

ZB22 with a partially used roll of TP (was gonna go with a fresh roll, but a partially used roll seemed more common)

20190211_031906.jpg.785224fe78f6a6320cef118334475eca.jpg

ZB22 with a beer.

20190211_030832.jpg.9982b0ab9b12a39a4a4e05ba776f154e.jpg

And finally... a ZB22 with a 6000 sized stella

20190211_031340.jpg.2710e8f085cd46e37c54f9d4806b52d0.jpg

Next up, rod selection.. this specific 22 has sat on several rods but it found its forever home on a GSB 1201L. It's an absolutely fantastic combo and I have a hard time putting it down sometimes... but I'll tell ya, I ordered another 22 a few weeks back and I'm literally chomping at the bit to put one on that new 10' L BH prototype rod as soon as it's available.... played with it at the show and it doesnt take a PhD to know thats gonna be a combo to recon with.. It may even retire my GSB (but I'll deny ever saying that)...

I know a lot of guys put them on 9 footers and a lot of others who have them on 11s... it's really going to boil down to personal preference more than anything else, and dont let anyone tell ya otherwise.. keep in mind it's a heavy reel..

Aaaaaand lastly.... my experience with ZB.... oh boy. Here we go.. this is usually where the s#!t hits the fan:poopfan:

I love my ZB reels and I can not say enough good things about the company, the owner, the employees, or the service... If your asking this guy, there is NO better reel made for the surf, hands down... I have now, or have had, probably every single other reel your going to see guys pop in a mention.. VS originals and X's, VR's, all the viable PENN options, Shimanos of every variety, Daiwas out the a$$ and all the other usual suspects...  in this one man's HUMBLE OPINION, ZB is the king of the hill.. I have a list of reasons at least 4 post-it notes long why it's my favorite, but I'm not gonna go on and on about it because I'll certainly find a few who will adamantly disagree with me and it's never worth the debate.. if your still curious feel free to PM me... 

Suffice it to say, if your looking for a true surf reel made to be used hard on real fish without problems caused by the harsh surf environment, you'll be hard pressed to find any better than a ZB.. plus its USA made, which should still mean something I hope.  

Side note... imho the ZB20 is a waste of time (yes... many will disagree)... still a very solid and well built reel, but not as aesthetically pleasing or proportioned as its siblings.. the body of all 4 ZB reels is the same size. Consequently, the 20 size seems like the sibling with a disproportionately small head, if that makes any sense... it feels like, and looks like, the spool should be larger to fit the body with better symmetry..

If your heart is set on 20 size, maybe reach out to them and inquire about production on their ZB lite prototype.. it's a 20 size spool and a significantly smaller body..

20180912_185952.jpg.a627021fd240b62d766ea5ab6ff05b0d.jpg20180912_185959.jpg.e60a58f4dc26ab09a3fab7480fc762b8.jpg

Wow, Thank you so much for all that information.  It was incredibly helpful.  All of your comparisons were perfect, and your reels are beautiful.  A couple of follow up questions for you... You mentioned the ZB lite prototype.  It sounds like a really viable option for me, but would I be able to get one? Judging by all of your ZB reels I suppose that you have a fairly tight connection with the company.  Would a first time ZB buyer like me even be able to get his hands on one of those Lite prototypes, or is it something that they only give to long time customers?  Also, with the ZB Lite prototype, what size reel would you compare it too?  I have owned a VS 150, is that reel comparable in size to that or slightly smaller?  Oh yeah, and one other thing.  You mentioned that you ordered a new ZB a while back.  I can't seem to find any websites or stores that have them in stock.  Are you ordering the reel directly from the Zeebaas?  I can't seem to find much information on Zeebaas' website about the ordering process.  Thanks again for the reply, you have an amazing collection.    

P.S. In the last two pictures, Is that the blue dream reel that tackle advisors featured on his channel a while back? 

Edited by The Salty Fisherman

5 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

So currently the only way to get one is used? That's interesting...

He was referring to the prototype lite weight Zee. The regular ZeeBass are available. Either call them direct or shop around. Sometimes these local shops don’t have them listed in the online store inventory as they may only have a couple here and there, but if you go into some of the local stores they may have a couple. Try calling. 

Edited by DaveBKNY

2 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Oh, that makes more sense.  Thanks 

The last 2 pics are the current prototype.. I would equate it in size and weight to a VS150 I guess, shooting from the hip... although I think the vs may hold a bit more line with slightly larger spool, but dont quote me on that.. I dont own a 20 size spool for comparisons... 

If you want a new 22, the easiest way is to Reach out to J&H.. talk to Josh or matt and tell them what you want.. they do have at least 2 in stock now I believe. If they don't have what you want, he will order through ZB immediately for you.... please be aware though, if you order you may wait a bit.. they are made individually by hand. The parts are manufactured in small batcbes and consequently there is usually a backorder list... a new reel can take time (months sometimes) to get made shipped out to you...

If you do order, Just please be patient with both the shop you order from and also with ZB, it's not coming from a Chinese sweat shop and the quality will reflect that when your reel arrives... in fact, it may serve you well to just order today.. lol.. its winter and, depending on where you live, you probably wont need it until spring at least.. too many times I've heard of the impatient customer who 'NEEDS' their new ZB now (in the dead of winter)!!! What's taking so long!!! Probably even a few rants here on SOL if you dig around a bit.. but all the ranting and daily phone calls one can muster will not hasten the process.. order, sit back, enjoy the winter, sip some tea, and wait patiently knowing you've made a great decision... 

Whatever your decision winds up being, im sure you'll be happy... best of luck brother 

Edit... wow I didnt even see that.. good catch man.. yes, in the background of that prototype pic, you can see the dream reel 25/27 combo that was made for little Owens fundraiser..

Edited by Beachglass Guru

49 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

The last 2 pics are the current prototype.. I would equate it in size and weight to a VS150 I guess, shooting from the hip... although I think the vs may hold a bit more line with slightly larger spool, but dont quote me on that.. I dont own a 20 size spool for comparisons... 

If you want a new 22, the easiest way is to Reach out to J&H.. talk to Josh or matt and tell them what you want.. they do have at least 2 in stock now I believe. If they don't have what you want, he will order through ZB immediately for you.... please be aware though, if you order you may wait a bit.. they are made individually by hand. The parts are manufactured in small batcbes and consequently there is usually a backorder list... a new reel can take time (months sometimes) to get made shipped out to you...

If you do order, Just please be patient with both the shop you order from and also with ZB, it's not coming from a Chinese sweat shop and the quality will reflect that when your reel arrives... in fact, it may serve you well to just order today.. lol.. its winter and, depending on where you live, you probably wont need it until spring at least.. too many times I've heard of the impatient customer who 'NEEDS' their new ZB now (in the dead of winter)!!! What's taking so long!!! Probably even a few rants here on SOL if you dig around a bit.. but all the ranting and daily phone calls one can muster will not hasten the process.. order, sit back, enjoy the winter, sip some tea, and wait patiently knowing you've made a great decision... 

Whatever your decision winds up being, im sure you'll be happy... best of luck brother 

Edit... wow I didnt even see that.. good catch man.. yes, in the background of that prototype pic, you can see the dream reel 25/27 combo that was made for little Owens fundraiser..

Thanks again.  I'll look into ordering ASAP.  

On 2/11/2019 at 4:09 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

Any chance you have a scale and can weigh this?!  I'm literally drooling over a smaller sized ZB!  I totally agree with you on the current ZX20 being the wrong size.