icarussound

Mono vs fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Is fluorocarbon really that much less visible than mono? And more abrasion resistant? I use whatever depending on lb test and pay no mind. I did find out that mono floats and floro doesn’t ... does it make a difference?

I’ve  never noticed a difference myself in surf even with leader shy fish, but now that I’m, for the time being, on light tackle in a river (lagoon) I’m curious if I might need to change my strategy. I’ve one rod with 18lb mono and one with 20 lb fluoro. Just to see.

I’m  interested in your experience minus hype...

I don't have the tropical experience to speak from experience. I can say this: the two guides with whom I fished around Sanibel and one out of Islamorada both wanted fluorocarbon tippets. The two on Sanibel wanted 30 lb. bite tippets while we were looking for snook.

To my eye, Quattro Pro monofilament is as invisible as fluoro, but that's not to say that a fish would agree. 

I know it's a leader. You know it's a leader. A fish has no clue. I know it's a hook. You know it's a hook. A fish has no clue. 

I have seen it make an absolute difference when chunking for Tuna, not only with having to use flouro, but also having to drop down to 30lb to get a bite.

Aside from Tuna though, I have seen no difference with other fish, specifically including Striper, Fluke, tog and Sea Bass.

In a river, for Striper and Perch, I say no difference.

While lure fishing I fish floro as a leader for super clear water situations. I think it makes a huge difference. I never ran into a mono that is that clear and invisible in the water. That said, most places I encounter the water is not that clear so you probably would not benefit from it all that much. Imo it s worth have a few floro leaders tucked in your leader wallet especially if you use lighter tackle in quiet waters. A spool of 20 and 40 floro leaders has lasted me many many years. It’s not like a huge investment.

Any of you ever dip a piece of fluoro and a piece of mono of the same diameter into a glass of water? You can't tell them apart. Good fluoro, like Seagar is a lot tougher though. If you fish around razor rocks or for fish with teeth, use fluoro. If you fish most places for stripers, blues and sea robins, stick with mono and spend the extra cash on coffee

Posted (edited) · Report post

28 mins ago, Stewie said:

Any of you ever dip a piece of fluoro and a piece of mono of the same diameter into a glass of water? You can't tell them apart. Good fluoro, like Seagar is a lot tougher though. If you fish around razor rocks or for fish with teeth, use fluoro. If you fish most places for stripers, blues and sea robins, stick with mono and spend the extra cash on coffee

Agreed.  And fortunately since the amount of line stretch is exactly the same, your Hookset is also just as solid no matter if you’re using mono or fluoro.

Edited by MaxKatt

Tensile strength and diameter is what you're paying for.

Finicky fish with lock jaw. It's like trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

4 hours ago, icarussound said:

Is fluorocarbon really that much less visible than mono? And more abrasion resistant? I use whatever depending on lb test and pay no mind. I did find out that mono floats and floro doesn’t ... does it make a difference?

I’ve  never noticed a difference myself in surf even with leader shy fish, but now that I’m, for the time being, on light tackle in a river (lagoon) I’m curious if I might need to change my strategy. I’ve one rod with 18lb mono and one with 20 lb fluoro. Just to see.

I’m  interested in your experience minus hype...

Simple answer .. YES to both

I've been fly fishing in a tidal river for over 20 years. It's often gin clear ...and the fluorocarbon does in fact disappear. It also knots better IMO. Mono is a bit slippery compared to fluorocarbon, which seems a bit stiffer and seats a knot more distinctly.

It's not that mono is bad, fluoro is better and more expensive... so ... I attach a 12 inch fluorocarbon bite tippet to a 7 or 8 foot mono tapered leader. This works great as you get the best of both worlds. I rig a similar set up in the Surf / Salt with a surf rod.

Does the color affect if the line will disappear under water ???? I have been using red mono for the last ten years and found that during Fluke fishing season i'm getting hit and my fishing partners are not...

Mono does float for a bit. It will start absorbing water after some use and sink like a stone.

Flouro will always sink and because it's a 4 molecule line is stiffer and abrasion resistance less stretch

In a situation where the fish can swim around and look at your bait in gin clear water go with flouro.

I bait n wait mostly. Each time I go, seems the conditions have changed. So preparing everything using expensive flouro might, I say might work out, occasionally.

Flouro is not invisible underwater due to its molecular structure or its composition. If it were, then 200 lb flouro would also be invisible, and I’m pretty sure it is not. Flouro coated lines are ridiculous.

Im throwing five ounce sinkers beyond 150 yards. Flouro doesn’t recover after being stretched, mono does, so I consider flouro rig bodies to be a bad idea. Flouro leaders coming off a mono rig body are not a bad idea at all, but not because they are invisible. Because the material behaves differently.

To get invisible on a fish requires you to reduce the line diameter. I look for 15-20 lb flouro line that is also thin and supple. Emphasis on thin. I pay zero attention to claims that colors disappear at depth. I also prefer using fishing line vs leader material for my leader presentation. Leader material is thicker and stiffer, and I don’t have to fish amongst rocks.

They are selling some fantastic lines these days. Look about some, make your choice, and then hope for the best. Thin line that presents well is your best foot forward. If I am experiencing turbulent conditions, and the thin leaders are fouling, I grab a rig with reduced leader lengths, or a rig with heavier material. If the fish don’t seem interested, but should be, I’m wanting thin whispy line.

Everyone finds their solution somehow, and for many it comes down to confidence, not something the fish choose. There will be days where only the flouro catches fish, but it could be because of any number of reasons, never because it’s invisible due to its unique and expensive composition. Assembling based on what happened one day is not a plan. Some of the best surf fishermen in Florida use mono fishing line only. Mono offers them all they need, and the fish seem to like it as well. LOL

My advice is if you feel you need to be invisible, get skinny and long.