tomkaz

Simple & safe carry of mobile phone on beach or boat

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I recently had another angler comment on my tethered iPhone so thought I would share the idea here. The challenge was carrying a mobile phone on the beach or boat, using it as a camera and not wanting to worry about dropping it. This is a real simple and cheap hack. 

On boats it is about avoiding dropping it on the hard deck, into deck wash, chum, blood, etc. I heard of one guy who dropped a phone onto the deck of a party boat and someone accidentally kicked it through the opening at the bottom of the gunnel/rail. No bueno.

I cast off the beach here in FL almost every weekend and have the phone with me. While it is an iPhone X and is waterproof enough, there is still the issue of dropping in knee deep water, sand, etc. I have a Pelican case but never use it since it does not provide the security against dropping of this simple hack. 

This works for any mobile phone for which you can buy a cheap case. I use cases from Amazon that cost about $8 each, one for everyday use and one with lanyard. The lanyard I have is from a conference ID tag but is ideal with the thin cord and quick release buckle. The latter works when you want to use the phone off your neck quickly. Of course, this will work with any leader material or old fly line. The key is the loop connection through the speaker hole of the case. 

The optimal combination is this setup and a shirt or jacket with a chest pocket so it can be tucked away when not in use. 

It works as well with cameras that have a lanyard securing point and I use it on my Olympus TG3 as well.

ETA: This will work for wetsuit swimmers with really waterproof phones but a good dunking might require more than this if you take a phone with you. 

C99746BB-36B9-4E14-B9B8-9B4E3E9BE4C9.jpeg.a7ca4cca35a98da5ca510e80b944fcd2.jpeg

958D34C5-89B2-4E55-860E-0E6F5F042267.jpeg.46e6a802a68800a0de86c2c2cd7c96b7.jpeg

EF161DF8-30BB-45A9-B848-B71512C07AFA.jpeg.40fdca2f0cddaeba9d061501906f16f9.jpeg

412A952F-12C3-46C7-BC7C-75F845FE7585.jpeg.c7565fa081fdd695324e74d672d99830.jpeg

25CBABFA-89A2-4C01-AEAB-6E338F1BE9F8.jpeg.da44e6ca426215dc38b0623a000950bc.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

On Amazon a good lanyard is by CaseBuy and they are $7.98 for 20 pieces. And Prime as well. But a set and give them away to fishing buddies. 

44 mins ago, shark lobster said:

These work great

31FD480C-5B27-4CD5-AC6A-776AD89A28AB.png

I have one and it worked great with my iPhone 6S. Didn’t love the photo quality all the time but it did the job.

I don’t use it since I got the X and was no longer worried about splashing or a dunk. 

I've had them open up my Lifeproof cases, open my iPhones and find them rusting inside. Lifeproof really isn't. As for Pelican cases, they work fine at first. After Over half a year of heavy surfcasting and wetsuiting I haven't had any water intrusion, but the problem is that people on the other end of the line can't hear my talking sometimes. It started as just an occasional problem and then got worse. I'm not sure if the membrane over the mouthpiece got salted up, or whatever, but I now usually put it on speaker mode. I'd like to find a better case that keeps the phone dry but is still functional.

I have something like Sharklobster's drybag/case, but it comes with a hook and loop armband and a lanyard, so it's tethered to an arm at all times. I got it from Amazon, but it seems to be unavailable now, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

Tom, who is the mfgr of that case? Couldn't quite read the name.

Yesgo is the brand, though like many of the Chinese products, the same item can come from different sources. The pricing is usually $7-8 and the come in a variety of colors. I use these in conjunction with tempered glass protectors from Yesgo as well. 

1 hour ago, baldwin said:

I've had them open up my Lifeproof cases, open my iPhones and find them rusting inside. Lifeproof really isn't. As for Pelican cases, they work fine at first. After Over half a year of heavy surfcasting and wetsuiting I haven't had any water intrusion, but the problem is that people on the other end of the line can't hear my talking sometimes. It started as just an occasional problem and then got worse. I'm not sure if the membrane over the mouthpiece got salted up, or whatever, but I now usually put it on speaker mode. I'd like to find a better case that keeps the phone dry but is still functional.

See the bags shown above by the other guys. While not a hard case, those bags seal tight, transfer finger pressure to the phone and can allow a functional phone call. 

4 hours ago, baldwin said:

I've been relatively lucky with my Lifeproof cases over the years, but there are drawbacks for sure-  I've experienced the same with people saying they can't hear me on the other end of the line.

Couple things on the bag style cases-  don't cheap out.  I have learned from experience that they are not all created equal!  And even when you take every precaution you possibly can, mother nature seems to find a way to throw a wrench into the works.

Last summer I made a "commando" trip over to a isolated island with my Galaxy S7 phone (waterproof), inside a LifeProof case (waterproof), inside a $6 Walmart "el-cheapo" waterproof phone bag.  Around 2 AM I was knocked off a perch in the surf and was completely surrounded by thick mats of that sea spaghetti seaweed.  When I stood up and walked about 10 yards I noticed that the lanyard had broken off and I spent what seemed like the next hour fruitlessly digging through these mats of weeds for the bag and phone, but came up empty...

(side note-  if anyone finds an S7 out on Cutty in a lifeproof case and a cell phone bag I will pay a handsome reward...I lost about 1400 pictures that I didn't have backed up anywhere like a dope) :banghd:

a solid option is the STORMR cell phone jackets, which has a much more robust lanyard than the cheaper models you buy on Amazon or Walmart if the lanyard is a concern for people.

But to be honest other than that one (albeit costly) mishap, I had no real issues with the bag style carry case outside of being unable to take a picture with the phone in the bag as advertised.

16 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

I do the same thing, but my phone is in a lifeproof case. Attach the cord to the headphone port cover.

I will definitely look into this as an option for the upcoming season :th:

Water proof phone is not saltwater proof. Any expose metal contact will corrode. Not to mentioned salt and mineral deposit from saltwater in those nook and cranny. Think your gorilla glass is scratch proof, Think again with sand grains and dried salt crystals.

Edited by hobobob

Flea-bay also has many waterproof cases.  I wouldn't trust any of these cases for a dive down to 20' for an hour, but just as a splash proof case they are fine.  My only complaint with them is that if you record video, there are some internal camera noises that get magnified being in the case and are picked up on the video's audio.  

To clarify about my post. I have a lifeproof but don't intentionally put the phone in the water. Phone goes into an internal pocket if there is a lot of spray, or an external sealed pocket on milder days. The lanyard attaches to the jacket and serves to prevent the phone from falling if I drop it. I am not wetsuiting or swimming with the lifeproof. Overall it has worked for me, but the lifeproof on my wife's phone makes it really hard to hear her. They do have a decent warranty (and should based on the price) and I have never had an issue getting a new case if there are any issues. 

They used to also make a foam surround part that would float. The phone would snap into it while in the lifeproof case. Not sure if they still do. 

Edited by drumfish213