Bdemiri23

Best braid with small diameter

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

No braid. Berkley Fireline. I use it for salt and fresh, NEVER a problem 20 + years. Look online first for mil specs. Can't go wrong. The right knots you will bend hooks out of the rocks!

On 14/02/2019 at 2:47 AM, BrianBM said:

This touches on something that I've puzzled over.   Diameter goes up relatively slowly as breaking strain increases; a 50 lb. line is NOT 2.5 times thicker then a 20 lb. line.

on the recent years i been buying braid based on diameter rather than the indicated lb test. used to look at the lb test but its not accurate and it doesnt work for me

different manufacturer with different thickness even tho same lb if you compare with another company

On 14/02/2019 at 1:41 AM, ReelinRod said:

They are very different.  Fireline is gel-spun or fused line not tightly braided fibers, as such it is thicker than braid and 50% thicker than Whiplash 30lb (.10mm) vs Fireline 30lb (.15mm).  Fireline is great when it is new, as Fireline ages it gets fuzzy.  I don't think it effects performance in say fighting fish but I think it does cut casting distance because there's more friction through the air.

went tackleshop and the price of whiplash is afew $ more than fireline

something must be different between them for the price difference cos i believe quality come with a price tag.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, BrianBM said:

Diameter goes up relatively slowly as breaking strain increases; a 50 lb. line is NOT 2.5 times thicker then a 20 lb. line.

That's the beauty of using the line mass as indicator instead of diameter. A line with 40 lbs ABS has twice the mass of the 20 lbs ABS line,  provided the manufacturing stay constant using the same grade of spectra. 

I'm a Samurai braid junkie, the new J braid they've come with sounds interesting.  I'd never heard of Jerry Brown spectra prior to this site. 

Edited by redlinerobert