LIfishingGuy

Bonefishing Turks and Caicos

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Another option you might consider is flying to South Caicos and fishing with Beyond the Blue for a day.

Accessing the flats via their airboat is really a great experience. Nice wade fishing on firm white flats.

Bibo Jayne would be able to tell you if the inter-island flights would work out.

Though awhile ago, both times I fished there people flew in that morning, fished then flew back to Provo that evening to be with their families.

SF

82D6B9EA-E032-45AB-9524-71A785886636.jpeg

803CF525-995B-4331-9733-9C0CDD1B0B91.jpeg

I would love to fish with Beyond the Blue - I remember first reading about them in Flyfishing In Saltwater years ago. I'm glad they are still going.

I was in Provo end of February 2017 and did a bunch of research before I went. I always try to find DIY fishing at travel destinations and I often strike out haha which is what did here as well at a couple of DIY spots on south side of island. This time I also went with a guide for a half day and he put us on the bonefish. His name is Darin Bain. Very knowledgeable, professional, new flats boat and equipment. Had a few 3-4lb bonefish and numerous hook ups and I broke off a couple of big ones from setting too hard. I'm an average caster and it was windy so I could barely see any fish but he did a great job of calling out the shots and getting me on the fish.

Turks and Caicos is beautiful and there are a ton fish, but everything is expensive, including guides. I don't get to do it so often so I coughed up the cash but it is sticker shock for sure.

C56F0562-0AD6-4C3E-A840-261C5EFD011B.jpeg

E37E9059-E907-407C-90D3-937999A98B6D.jpeg

First half of day one... Keep in mind.. I am not an exceptional caster.. had a shot at probably 20+ fish.. hooked up 5.. caught 2.. one 3-4 pounds and one 7-8 pounds..

Harbour Club Villas and Marina is awesome.. away from crowds.

Darin of D and B tours was great... he could not have done better job putting me on the fish... I just didn't do my part as well as I would have liked..

I now have a new passion...

IMG_0252.jpg.c1d5e5af7da63e9b1aa10baa6531bb30.jpg

Nice! Looks like a great trip. I had less luck on my own down there but also fished with Darin and caught a few...he called out many fish I didn’t see and as an average caster I blew some shots but I too am hooked on sight/flats fishing. Nothing like casting to fish you can see. I’ll be in Key West next month and have booked a flats guide. 

I just told my wife I we shouldn't go here because I couldn't find much info on fishing. Went to Mexico instead, saw a bunch of tarpon and had a monster snook bite right through 30# shock tippet on the eat. Biggest I think I've ever seen eat my fly.

I wish I'd have seen this post beforehand, I love wading flats searching for Bones and Cudas. 

Looks lovely. I'm seriously considering going to T&C next year. But I can't justify $1k for a guide so I will be DIYing the North and Middle islands with my expectations fully in check. Are there any known tarpon/snook spots there I wouldn't mind some plan B options?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I believe I read on one of the guides websites that there are tarpon available, though that might have been on Provo.

I fished around both East and South Caicos as well as Provo and it certainly looked like there should be tarpon around, though I never saw any.

Too focused on bones.

I also caught and lost some decent sized cudas and caught some mutton and yellowtail snapper.

Also saw some decent size jacks.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

50 mins ago, JRT said:

Looks lovely. I'm seriously considering going to T&C next year. But I can't justify $1k for a guide so I will be DIYing the North and Middle islands with my expectations fully in check. Are there any known tarpon/snook spots there I wouldn't mind some plan B options?

Its a relatively safe island, so there are plenty of areas around Provo to keep you entertained with a rental car