What to make a sedotti slammer out of?

Rate this topic

t_man7

On 2/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, Mike Oliver said:

You have the muscles .

Me and HT well we are pleasantly passé

Observers of life lived by others.

There is going to be increased levels of tea drinking and a few more Sam Adams this spring. The corner has been turned.

RJ he knows something. Apart from those aweful,cigars of his.

Oly

I knew it was you who keep stealing my Sam Adams! Better than that crap some of the other guys had in the fridge...what was that stuff?

Oakie drinks good stuff, Lagunitas IPA  I believe,   Henry, no accounting for his taste, Narragansett  :(

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

20 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Apropos of the Slammer, I tripped over one recipe for it just now, by accident. Bob Veverka, "Innovative Saltwater Flies,"  pp 147-150.  

Veverka's description of the keel is a bit confusing.  It sounds like three stacks of lead tied on the bottom of the hook shank, for a total length of 1.5 inches.  Is that your take?  Has anyone else tied this fly and used this component?  I am wondering why it isn't just one continuous stack.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:28 PM, BromBones said:

Did you use the synthetic Devlin Blends or the natural Yak Hair?  Capt Ian recommends using his natural Yak hair blends for Slammers and large baitfish patterns b/c it's stiffer than the synthetic. 

You did a great job on that fly.  I'm waiting on some materials and plan on tying a few of these myself as soon as they come in the mail.  I'm curious to see how far they cast. 

I'm curious to see how far they cast. 

make casting harnes and use slip sinker from 1/8 oz to 3 oz and they will fly good.

if you need them high in water colum put the 2' bihind suspending yozury or floater.

I've been using Devlin Blends for a few years now. The blends Ian makes with Yak Hair. I started using Yak Hair after I couldn't acquire Bozo Hair years ago. The Slammers in Bob Ververka's book are made with feathers. I still tie the 6-7 plus inch Slammers with feathers, mostly saddles. That's my favorite big trout fly. I put a trailer hook in there for trout.

Keel for 10 plus inch Slammer is 15,  1/2 inch pieces of .035 weighted wire. Three levels of 5 pieces a level. Pieces next to each other form a flat rectangle. The keel is a rectangular box, put in underneath the weighted wire wrapped hook shank. 

When your big fly is weight balanced your grandmother could cast it from the grave.   Mark Sedotti

On 2/28/2019 at 0:21 PM, 02807Fish said:

Veverka's description of the keel is a bit confusing.  It sounds like three stacks of lead tied on the bottom of the hook shank, for a total length of 1.5 inches.  Is that your take?  Has anyone else tied this fly and used this component?  I am wondering why it isn't just one continuous stack.

Yes.

The book assumes some knowledge on the part of the reader, and even the detailed recipes aren't detailed.  I have seen the Slammer detailed elsewhere as having a keel just as you describe, with short stacks of lead. 

23 hours ago, No Bull S said:

I've been using Devlin Blends for a few years now. The blends Ian makes with Yak Hair. I started using Yak Hair after I couldn't acquire Bozo Hair years ago. The Slammers in Bob Ververka's book are made with feathers. I still tie the 6-7 plus inch Slammers with feathers, mostly saddles. That's my favorite big trout fly. I put a trailer hook in there for trout.

Keel for 10 plus inch Slammer is 15,  1/2 inch pieces of .035 weighted wire. Three levels of 5 pieces a level. Pieces next to each other form a flat rectangle. The keel is a rectangular box, put in underneath the weighted wire wrapped hook shank. 

When your big fly is weight balanced your grandmother could cast it from the grave.   Mark Sedotti

Thanks for the explanation Mark.  The video is excellent also.  After seeing it, I'd describe the keel as half a ranging round.

Mark 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 7:28 PM, BromBones said:

Did you use the synthetic Devlin Blends or the natural Yak Hair?  Capt Ian recommends using his natural Yak hair blends for Slammers and large baitfish patterns b/c it's stiffer than the synthetic. 

You did a great job on that fly.  I'm waiting on some materials and plan on tying a few of these myself as soon as they come in the mail.  I'm curious to see how far they cast. 

They cast a mile and don’t tire you out that bad as you would think and I used synthetic devlin blends. But yak hair will definitely droop less so I would recommend using that.

Why aren’t you fishing?

42 mins ago, t_man7 said:

They cast a mile and don’t tire you out that bad as you would think and I used synthetic devlin blends. But yak hair will definitely droop less so I would recommend using that.

Ian's been doing a lot of show's and traveling a bit so I haven't been able to get a hold of him for some blends.  I ended up sourcing some yak hair and flash and blended my own.  It was the first time I tried my hand at blending materials and I must say that it was more time consuming than I thought.  It was also difficult to get "right". For my first shot, it came out o.k. though and I'm glad I didn't mess it up to the point that I had to toss the stuff.  For all the time, money, and effort, I would have been better off waiting for some of Ian's blends.  

On 2/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, Mike Oliver said:

You have the muscles .

Me and HT well we are pleasantly passé

Observers of life lived by others.

There is going to be increased levels of tea drinking and a few more Sam Adams this spring. The corner has been turned.

RJ he knows something. Apart from those aweful,cigars of his.

Oly

Oly,  I warned you not to inhale!  Cigars' are serious smokes!  Cigarettes are for  limp wristed Hollywood Hero types.! 

21 mins ago, BromBones said:

Ian's been doing a lot of show's and traveling a bit so I haven't been able to get a hold of him for some blends.  I ended up sourcing some yak hair and flash and blended my own.  It was the first time I tried my hand at blending materials and I must say that it was more time consuming than I thought.  It was also difficult to get "right". For my first shot, it came out o.k. though and I'm glad I didn't mess it up to the point that I had to toss the stuff.  For all the time, money, and effort, I would have been better off waiting for some of Ian's blends.  

Semper Fi BB!  This week will begin the warmer Water fishing in the Hudson.  Harmon RR Station and the Croton River will awake the bait on the South side of Croton Point. Tis time to start yaking under the NYCRR Bridge and "Get Some!" white perch stirring on the mud flats. You must release the odd schoolie SB until April 15, 2019!