ccb

fish bites ?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

what are your thoughts?  do you like the product?  shrimp and clams?   anyone try it in freshwater also? 

Edited by ccb

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have used them for a long time. I mainly use the Fbbw's. They work just as good as the live Bw's. I still use live BW's , but the FB's stay on better in rough surf. Plus you can catch a fish and still leave them on the hook. This year I might try the clams.

Edited by hunter123

16 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I have used them for a long time. I mainly use the Fbbw's. They work just as good as the live Bw's. I still use live BW's , but the FB's stay on better in rough surf. Plus you can catch a fish and still leave them on the hook. RThis year I might try the clams.

whats the different between the Fbbw's , BW's and   FW's ?  you lost me ? 

Short for Fishbites bloodworms FBBW.   BW are live blood worms.  They work. I only use them for spot, whiting , small drum, any small fish you would use live Bw's on.

I use the FBBWs alone for spot, pompano, kingfish an other small fish. I use them often when baitfishing for larger species such as striper, drum, and blues. For example, if I am fishing bunker chunks, I will top off the hook with  square of the FBBW. Being tough, the square helps hold the bait on. I feel it may also make the bait look like its bleeding (who knows?). The FBBW also will stay on after the other bait has been stolen or fallen off. Even though I check the bait often, I feel this increases my chances. I have caught a lot of stripers and drum on the FBBWs alone, so I have confidence in them, even on a large hook..

I have tried the FBBWs in freshwater, but never had any real success. Likewise, I have never had noticeable success above and beyond real bait with the other flavors (shrimp, clam) in saltwater. Though I know a lot of fisherman that swear by them.

34 mins ago, wok167 said:

I use the FBBWs alone for spot, pompano, kingfish an other small fish. I use them often when baitfishing for larger species such as striper, drum, and blues. For example, if I am fishing bunker chunks, I will top off the hook with  square of the FBBW. Being tough, the square helps hold the bait on. I feel it may also make the bait look like its bleeding (who knows?). The FBBW also will stay on after the other bait has been stolen or fallen off. Even though I check the bait often, I feel this increases my chances. I have caught a lot of stripers and drum on the FBBWs alone, so I have confidence in them, even on a large hook..

I have tried the FBBWs in freshwater, but never had any real success. Likewise, I have never had noticeable success above and beyond real bait with the other flavors (shrimp, clam) in saltwater. Though I know a lot of fisherman that swear by them.

Pretty much same kind of use for me, mostly combined with real baits which had better results. (I also cut little squares for bait retention!)

Wok, you probably had more success than I had with FB alone. I still use the FBBW alone for my kids on one hook of a high low. 

Biggest strength of FB is also the biggest annoyance: you can’t get that stuff off of the hook. Using scissors works best. 

Someone on SOL way back mentioned FB baits are better in moderate to warmer water temps and innefective in temps low 60s & under. I can’t confirm that observation but I have a feeling that there’s some truth to it. 

6 hours ago, EricDice said:

Biggest strength of FB is also the biggest annoyance: you can’t get that stuff off of the hook. Using scissors works best. 

Yup, it is some hassle getting it off. 

When it is almost dissolved, I will put on another piece and cast out. Within one or two casts, the first piece will be completely dissolved, nothing left but the cloth mesh.  This can then easily be grasped with pliers and torn off the hook. I repeat with the second, third, and so forth so that I am only removing the cloth, yet always have bait on.

Any way I cut it, or pull it, I end up with some red goo on my fingers, shirt, pants, pliers at the end of the day.

There are times that they can out catch other dead baits. I prefer them on my distance rigs because they hang tough and last. Pierce them twice or they slip off during retrieval. Keep them in fridge much like other baits. Buying direct gets you the freshest bags. Don’t fret the mesh, just slip another piece on. They work fine in cold water. Cut up a strip then put them in pill bottle to keep them dry and you can add a piece quickly. Try other flavors and colors especially the yellow clam.

We had a tournament recently where FB was the only bait allowed.

Here’s the thing, they seem to work but I’ve never caught a striper on these whereas I have caught stripers on real bloodworms. So, I do buy them for reasons I already stated, but I really only use them on rare occasions.