Rkfool

Rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I will say that the avid is a more durable rod...

The Loomis rods are amazing and light weight and sensitive to a level of absurdity... but they are also thinner walled, especially the NRX inshore series.. that makes for a little more concern if your fishing around jetties or rocks and such.. dings on a thin walled blank can equal a snap in the not too distant future. That said, I have never broken one, and if i did the warranty is pretty solid. At $675 a pop, I think they factor the warranty into the price... 

The Loomis pro green I referenced is a less expensive option to the NRX, around $260 I believe.. the rod is a tad heavier due to a slightly thicker blank wall. Still insanely sensitive.. 

Will owning a Loomis ever be the difference between catching or not catching? No chance in hell

Is a Loomis a more sensitive rod than the avid? I'd have to say yes..

Is that marginal difference in sensitivity worth $400 more over an avid at around $250? That's a question only you could answer..

also, some food for thought here... If your fishing a $675 rod (the NRX) are you going to be focusing on the fishing or focusing on not damaging your rod? Once again, a question only you can answer.. 

Everyone's budget is different..

If it was me, and the cash was not immediately expendable, I would go avid for sure... its durability and lower price point would likely focus your attention where it belongs, on the fishing, instead of on the rod... and at that lower price, it leaves cash on the table for some other gear you may want as well, or even a second rod..

The avid is nothing short of an amazing rod brother.  Please dont in any way look at it as a downgrade, it's a different rod... both are very capable of doing what your looking to do.. 

I build rods, so when I buy I factory rod I cant help but scrutinize every single detail.. st croix in the only factory rod I've consistently found the guides properly places on (or very close to) the spine of the blank.. that says a lot about their craftsmanship. And their warranty is pretty solid also.. 

Hope this helps make your decision easier.. 

Again I really appreciate the insight. Very helpful. Now I’ve got to get one in my hands and feel it. The local tackle shop I favor is small and has a very small rod section. I have a feeling there won’t be either of them there. I may have to take a ride to tackle direct or something. If I like the avid I’ll probably pick up that and order the Suzuki if I don’t like it I may be splurging. Either way will be a win win lol

3 mins ago, Rkfool said:

Again I really appreciate the insight. Very helpful. Now I’ve got to get one in my hands and feel it. The local tackle shop I favor is small and has a very small rod section. I have a feeling there won’t be either of them there. I may have to take a ride to tackle direct or something. If I like the avid I’ll probably pick up that and order the Suzuki if I don’t like it I may be splurging. Either way will be a win win lol

Suzuki u say?.....  Great choice.  Which one? 

18 mins ago, Pisurfcaster said:

Don’t need a new rod you just need to replace the guide. Cheaper than a new rod too. 

I know lol and I will! 

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Suzuki u say?.....  Great choice.  Which one? 

I was thinking the 10’ as I already have two 9’ 3/4-4 oz rods

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Rkfool said:

I was thinking the 10’ as I already have two 9’ 3/4-4 oz rods

Great decision.. If you like fishing LT, then boyyyy are you gonna love that rod...   I have the 10 and it's an absolute pleasure to fish.. spent a good portion of last fall bending that rod and it never once let me down.  

Edited by Beachglass Guru