Rkfool

Rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Shane_O said:

I got an 8’ star steller light (light power) fast taper and put a penn ssvi 2500 on it just for that application. Perfect, the extra length gives you more of a lever arm to throw light baits and the rod is light enough to load up on them during a cast. Great for freshwater fishing as well. All with the flick of the wrist. I shopped around a bit before putting that setup together, to each their own.

I have a Star Stellar Light 8 ft, rated 1/4 oz ~ 5/8 oz, that throws unweighted plastics very well. It will also pull in a big snook or red, if you have some room to let them run. It is one of my favorite rods for inshore fishing the Tampa Bay area. 

13 mins ago, Spigola said:

Just remember that too soft a rod = longer time to land fish = higher mortality rate.  Thats why I don't like noodle rods.

10'6" noodle rod is good for stelie,he can not trow the hook.

i can horse the fish with noodle i have 30# power pro and 20# leader,it depend on size off line,you can fish with 6# test but you have to do what the fish tell you.

i use 6'6" spining ,medium,medium same reel and line and noodle give me 10' longer cast,but i have to cast that noodle with 2 hands,the 6'6" i cast with wrist,big defrent fishing 8 hours.

2 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

I have a Star Stellar Light 8 ft, rated 1/4 oz ~ 5/8 oz, that throws unweighted plastics very well. It will also pull in a big snook or red, if you have some room to let them run. It is one of my favorite rods for inshore fishing the Tampa Bay area. 

Agreed. It’s a pretty versatile setup if you play the fish correctly. The tip is very light but the fast taper 8’ light rod has good backbone when you get into it. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for albies, schoolie to mid-sized stripers, fluke, big lmb, pike, etc up here in the north east. Yet it’s still sensitive enough to use for trout. It reminds me of my old 8’ Tica dolphin medium light but with a little more backbone. The extra eyes also seem to help transfer more of the load to where the meat is which is nice.

18 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Im not exactly sure what your budget is, but I'll second (or third?) The avid inshore series a few guys have already mentioned. I have several and love them all..  The 7"6 or 8' in the ML or M would be my choice for your intended use... 

Although, I would take the good advice of several of these fine individuals above, and go bend some rods at a local shop if your able...

I toss unweighted soft plastics very very frequently.. The rods I use are chosen by not only their ability to feel the action of, and properly work unweighted plastics (like keitechs specifically), but also to be capable of delivering them a good distance with accuracy.. Additionally, I want to know that while I may enjoy a smaller fish with the rod, it's got to have the backbone to handle that rogue monster that will sooner or later show up...

The combos I use from shore are as follows...

* Avid inshore 8' - VIS80MLF paired with a 3000 Saltist back bay spooled with #10 832

* G. Loomis 7'8 - NRX 923S MR - paired with a VR50 spooled with #15 invisibraid

* G. Loomis 7'4 -   NRX 882 MR - paired with a Ballistic LT 2500 spooled with #10 J-braid grand

* G. Loomis 7'10 - ProGreen PGR943S paired with a Stradic 3000 spooled with #15 invisibraid.

If I'm in the yak or on the boat I would obviously opt for a shorter rod.. 

Thanks for all the input. After googling and what not I’m strongly leaning towards the avid. Would I love to get the loomis yes lol but 400$ price tag is a bit high. I could buy the avid right now, if I chose the loomis I’d have to wait for my tax refund (not that I’ll be fishing anytime soon). I’ve only owned one st Croix rod in the past and it broke casting a lure well within its range before I ever even landed a fish with it. That’s the only st Croix I’ve handled. Buddy of mine always has a light loomis rod with him. Made a few casts with it and I loved it. Would you say it’s worth the extra money?  This will likely be my most used rod so I don’t mind the extr cost if the experience is that much more enjoyable

18 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Im not exactly sure what your budget is, but I'll second (or third?) The avid inshore series a few guys have already mentioned. I have several and love them all..  The 7"6 or 8' in the ML or M would be my choice for your intended use... 

Although, I would take the good advice of several of these fine individuals above, and go bend some rods at a local shop if your able...

I toss unweighted soft plastics very very frequently.. The rods I use are chosen by not only their ability to feel the action of, and properly work unweighted plastics (like keitechs specifically), but also to be capable of delivering them a good distance with accuracy.. Additionally, I want to know that while I may enjoy a smaller fish with the rod, it's got to have the backbone to handle that rogue monster that will sooner or later show up...

The combos I use from shore are as follows...

* Avid inshore 8' - VIS80MLF paired with a 3000 Saltist back bay spooled with #10 832

* G. Loomis 7'8 - NRX 923S MR - paired with a VR50 spooled with #15 invisibraid

* G. Loomis 7'4 -   NRX 882 MR - paired with a Ballistic LT 2500 spooled with #10 J-braid grand

* G. Loomis 7'10 - ProGreen PGR943S paired with a Stradic 3000 spooled with #15 invisibraid.

If I'm in the yak or on the boat I would obviously opt for a shorter rod.. 

Thanks for all the input. After googling and what not I’m strongly leaning towards the avid. Would I love to get the loomis yes lol but 400$ price tag is a bit high. I could buy the avid right now, if I chose the loomis I’d have to wait for my tax refund (not that I’ll be fishing anytime soon). I’ve only owned one st Croix rod in the past and it broke casting a lure well within its range before I ever even landed a fish with it. That’s the only st Croix I’ve handled. Buddy of mine always has a light loomis rod with him. Made a few casts with it and I loved it. Would you say it’s worth the extra money?  This will likely be my most used rod so I don’t mind the extr cost if the experience is that much more enjoyable

7 hours ago, Spigola said:

Just remember that too soft a rod = longer time to land fish = higher mortality rate.  Thats why I don't like noodle rods.

I have a noodle rod already. I use it to fluke while my kids are swimming in the summer. I would not use it to fish for bass in the summer

2 mins ago, Rkfool said:

I will say that the avid is a more durable rod...

The Loomis rods are amazing and light weight and sensitive to a level of absurdity... but they are also thinner walled, especially the NRX inshore series.. that makes for a little more concern if your fishing around jetties or rocks and such.. dings on a thin walled blank can equal a snap in the not too distant future. That said, I have never broken one, and if i did the warranty is pretty solid. At $675 a pop, I think they factor the warranty into the price... 

The Loomis pro green I referenced is a less expensive option to the NRX, around $260 I believe.. the rod is a tad heavier due to a slightly thicker blank wall. Still insanely sensitive.. 

Will owning a Loomis ever be the difference between catching or not catching? No chance in hell

Is a Loomis a more sensitive rod than the avid? I'd have to say yes..

Is that marginal difference in sensitivity worth $400 more over an avid at around $250? That's a question only you could answer..

also, some food for thought here... If your fishing a $675 rod (the NRX) are you going to be focusing on the fishing or focusing on not damaging your rod? Once again, a question only you can answer.. 

Everyone's budget is different..

If it was me, and the cash was not immediately expendable, I would go avid for sure... its durability and lower price point would likely focus your attention where it belongs, on the fishing, instead of on the rod... and at that lower price, it leaves cash on the table for some other gear you may want as well, or even a second rod..

The avid is nothing short of an amazing rod brother.  Please dont in any way look at it as a downgrade, it's a different rod... both are very capable of doing what your looking to do.. 

I build rods, so when I buy I factory rod I cant help but scrutinize every single detail.. st croix in the only factory rod I've consistently found the guides properly places on (or very close to) the spine of the blank.. that says a lot about their craftsmanship. And their warranty is pretty solid also.. 

Hope this helps make your decision easier..