Rkfool

Rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TLap21 said:

I use an 8' Avid Inshore for this and would recommend it.  It's a little faster action than some prefer, which I personally like for imparting action on the plastics.  Worth a look, but would recommend feeling one before buying if you don't like faster actioned rods. 

Fast=stiffer moderate=softer ?  I tend to prefer a softer tip so I can really feel the lure at the end of the line. Most of the time it’s very light idk what the weight is of say a havoc sick fish is bit light and sometime hard to “feel” in the dark

18 mins ago, Rkfool said:

It’s all good. I definitely want the Suzuki in 10’ but not for this application. 10’ is just a little long. Stellar lite was another one I was intrigued by

Go talk to him about the shorter rods he has in prototype. 

Stiffness isn’t necessarily indicative of action, but the Avid Inshore has a fairy stiff tip. Not a broomstick, but the power kicks in close to the end of the rod, which is nice for a good, and quick hook-set. 

I find this way more sensitive than a noodle tip and you lose nothing between moving the rod and the soft plastic’s action. 

Another option you might be interested in, is the TFO Signature Series. 

my favorite for ultralight saltwater is gloomis greenwater GWR9000s it's 7'6" though a little shorter than you wanted. I got it to cast 6" Arkansas shiner sluggos to bass on small sandeels. I had a 360 Slammer on it but have been using a 2500 Clash the past 2 years its a joy to fish. 

2 hours ago, Rkfool said:

It’s all good. I definitely want the Suzuki in 10’ but not for this application. 10’ is just a little long. Stellar lite was another one I was intrigued by

Here's the Stellar Lite I posted about.

20180919_193939.jpg

Screenshot_20180829-124246_Gmail.jpg

I got an 8’ star steller light (light power) fast taper and put a penn ssvi 2500 on it just for that application. Perfect, the extra length gives you more of a lever arm to throw light baits and the rod is light enough to load up on them during a cast. Great for freshwater fishing as well. All with the flick of the wrist. I shopped around a bit before putting that setup together, to each their own.

13 hours ago, reelfire said:

Go talk to him about the shorter rods he has in prototype. 

My buddy bumped into Kil today fishing FL... Said he got a chance to fish that 10 Suzuki special but it was cut down to a 9 foot.. I believe the word he used to describe it was magical... 

4 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

My buddy bumped into Kil today fishing FL... Said he got a chance to fish that 10 Suzuki special but it was cut down to a 9 foot.. I believe the word he used to describe it was magical... 

Howd your new rod work for trout?

14 hours ago, TLap21 said:

Stiffness isn’t necessarily indicative of action, but the Avid Inshore has a fairy stiff tip. Not a broomstick, but the power kicks in close to the end of the rod, which is nice for a good, and quick hook-set. 

I find this way more sensitive than a noodle tip and you lose nothing between moving the rod and the soft plastic’s action. 

:agree:

Those avid rods are so sensitive I can feel a fish thinking about taking my lure..

On 2/9/2019 at 11:51 PM, Rkfool said:

Trying to find a decent light rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics at night for schoolies. Was using a Shimano cellus(I think) worm and jig rod my girlfriend had bought for me which worked ok but I cracked a guide. I’m thinking 8ft is the right length ad will be pored with a 2500-3000 size reel with ten lb braid. 

Im not exactly sure what your budget is, but I'll second (or third?) The avid inshore series a few guys have already mentioned. I have several and love them all..  The 7"6 or 8' in the ML or M would be my choice for your intended use... 

Although, I would take the good advice of several of these fine individuals above, and go bend some rods at a local shop if your able...

I toss unweighted soft plastics very very frequently.. The rods I use are chosen by not only their ability to feel the action of, and properly work unweighted plastics (like keitechs specifically), but also to be capable of delivering them a good distance with accuracy.. Additionally, I want to know that while I may enjoy a smaller fish with the rod, it's got to have the backbone to handle that rogue monster that will sooner or later show up...

The combos I use from shore are as follows...

* Avid inshore 8' - VIS80MLF paired with a 3000 Saltist back bay spooled with #10 832

* G. Loomis 7'8 - NRX 923S MR - paired with a VR50 spooled with #15 invisibraid

* G. Loomis 7'4 -   NRX 882 MR - paired with a Ballistic LT 2500 spooled with #10 J-braid grand

* G. Loomis 7'10 - ProGreen PGR943S paired with a Stradic 3000 spooled with #15 invisibraid.

If I'm in the yak or on the boat I would obviously opt for a shorter rod.. 

22 hours ago, TLap21 said:

I use an 8' Avid Inshore for this and would recommend it.  It's a little faster action than some prefer, which I personally like for imparting action on the plastics.  Worth a look, but would recommend feeling one before buying if you don't like faster actioned rods. 

+1 on the mojo inshore. It has a long enough butt to give you support against your forearm, for fighting large fish , 

I just sold a St Croix 7' 6"  Medium , Moderate ,Tidemaster inshore rod that was my go to Sluggo rod.  The rod can not be too fast IMHO, or else you will not be able to load it properly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I also highly recommend the St Croix Avid Inshore rods.  I actually have 7 and 8 foot in both Medium and Medium Heavy configuration.  I like the 7 foot for my bay rods on my friends boat but when tossing light soft plastic or plugs while standing on a beach or bank, I go to the 8 foot rods.  A bit pricey but a great off the rack rod.  All those rods are paired with Penn Clash 2500 reels and 10# Sufix 832 except the 8'MH that has an older Saragosa 4000 with 12# Sufix 832.

I've caught bluefish up to about 14 lbs on my 7' Medium Avid so you can imagine the reserve power these rods have.

I'll qualify my comments by letting you know I've been fishing about 63 years now.

Edited by Spigola