Rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics?

Rate this topic

Rkfool

Trying to find a decent light rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics at night for schoolies. Was using a Shimano cellus(I think) worm and jig rod my girlfriend had bought for me which worked ok but I cracked a guide. I’m thinking 8ft is the right length ad will be pored with a 2500-3000 size reel with ten lb braid. 

11 mins ago, Rkfool said:

Trying to find a decent light rod for throwing unweighted soft plastics at night for schoolies. Was using a Shimano cellus(I think) worm and jig rod my girlfriend had bought for me which worked ok but I cracked a guide. I’m thinking 8ft is the right length ad will be pored with a 2500-3000 size reel with ten lb braid. 

I would think you'd be looking into a freshwater rod of a sort.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

3 hours ago, Rkfool said:

Yeah figured as well, I haven’t fished fresh water in ten years and don’t know what’s what. Diawa presso was the first one that struck my fancy but it’s hard to tell from looking at pictures

you'd def have go and feel a rod for such a niche

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I love my Duckett for freshwater. I felt damn near every rod in Bass pro and once I picked up the Duckett I knew it was coming home with me, regardless of cost. It's really an unbelievable rod. 

They make both spinning and casting models. I have a Revo S on a Duckett Micro Magic, but I'm waiting to try my friend's Tatula :)

5 hours ago, reelfire said:

10 ft Blackhole Suzuki may work for you.

Do you actually read these threads? The op is throwing unweighted soft plastics with a 3000 size reel and would prefer a rod between 7 and 8 feet. Please explain how your response meets any of those parameters. 

To the op: there are bunches of rods available for your purpose. Try looking into inshore rods used by Southeastern redfish and trout fishermen. If they are too moderate for your taste, there are a range of faster action rods made for LMB guys. 

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot. 

9 hours ago, Rkfool said:

up to 1 oz i will go with spining rod  6'6" medium,medium,st.croix cheepest model,

you can have longer rod ,you will only work harder not casting further maybe 10' longer cast,spining rod.

i tested that.there is no good info on this from manufacturers and builders,i asked 20 defrent companys and builders everybody say i need longer rod,i casted with 7',8',9',10',11' rod same reel .

best easiest and acured was 6'6" spining rod,medium,medium shimano rod $9,it beet $200 rods.

sombody say you get whot you pay for,it is not true,you have to know what you buy or you get riped off.

I use an 8' Avid Inshore for this and would recommend it.  It's a little faster action than some prefer, which I personally like for imparting action on the plastics.  Worth a look, but would recommend feeling one before buying if you don't like faster actioned rods. 

Four young kids & other stuff means very budget minded choices. I have a 7’ one piece penn spinning rod, allegiance or squadron maybe, rated roughly 1/4 or 3/8 up to either 3/4 or 1 ounce. I use a small 2000 reel on it. It was abou $35 or $40 and we had a gift card for Walmart. It’s nice for me. 

I also went out one night with my kids set up. It’s a cheap (but graphite not glass) Zebco $10 six foot spinning rod with 2000 granite outdoors (aka outdoor anglers, aka “el cheapo”) reel, light braid & cheap 30 lbs mono leader, throwing unweighted zoom flukes in a salt lagoon middle of the night. Fished well at that purpose for that price and an unplanned session. Pulled in a cow nosed ray on that junk. So, get the Duckett if you can (I would); or find a short MH cheapo and tempt fate!

I've been using a 7'6" Star Stellar Lite rated for 8 -16# line and 1/4-3/4 Oz lures. It is a great rod for schoolies. It throws small sluggos and albie snax just fine. I have a Diawa BG 4000 on it with 20# braid but I'm sure a 3000 size reel with 10-15# line would work well with it.

1 hour ago, Sweetwater said:

Do you actually read these threads? The op is throwing unweighted soft plastics with a 3000 size reel and would prefer a rod between 7 and 8 feet. Please explain how your response meets any of those parameters. 

To the op: there are bunches of rods available for your purpose. Try looking into inshore rods used by Southeastern redfish and trout fishermen. If they are too moderate for your taste, there are a range of faster action rods made for LMB guys. 

Who pissed in your cherrios? I simply mentioned another option he may not have known about. Plus he may then find out about some of the rods that Kilsong has in prototype. Last time I checked knowledge wasn't a bad thing,

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

15 mins ago, reelfire said:

Who pissed in your cherrios? I simply mentioned another option he may not have known about. Plus he may then find out about some of the rods that Kilsong has in prototype. Last time I checked knowledge wasn't a bad thing,

It’s all good. I definitely want the Suzuki in 10’ but not for this application. 10’ is just a little long. Stellar lite was another one I was intrigued by