Thumb-Burner

Rod for Max distance with 2oz metal?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, jimmy z said:

The daiwa's I use are rated 3-6 but are more like a 1-2.5. 

I use and like Abu/Omoto 5500-6000 reels, no spinning reels used. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the OP does casting rods, not spinners. 

I'm amphibious.  I use both!

I second the Airwave Elites or for less $ the Daiwa Emcasts in 10' to 11' Medium  (for 1.5-2 oz) or MH (for 2-2.5 oz), but the Okuma Rockaway 10' Medium looks interesting especially if you can drop down to 15lb or 20lb braid.  The tips on the Rockaways are super thin and fragile looking though.

Thumb,

think you had a thread earlier about  ccp 10' 1-4oz. This is the rod I use to throw 2oz stingsilvers on the obx. It will flat smoke a 2oz lure, and also fishes 3 or 4 oz and bait  really well. Mine is spinning , but a conventional one should be just as good. Think the rod is right at $200.00 as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.  Scott

I would go BH Suzuki 10. It launches smaller lures and is perfect for smaller, but feisty, fish. If you are consistently throwing 2oz,  then maybe opt for the 9’6 instead. Both are in your $ range. The 10 can throw 2 oz, but I like it between 3/4-1.5 most.

If you have the technique a Lami 1321m will throw it a mile

And double as a long distance pencil popping rod

Forgot to mention that traditionally a mod/fast or fast action  rod may be considered best for casting metal and low drag lures the furthest. 

On 2/9/2019 at 9:59 PM, Thumb-Burner said:

Ok.  Not looking for plugging rod.  Looking for Max distance for 1.5-2.5oz metal...

200 or under.  Thinking 10'er or so.  This will be for Albies and Spanish mackerel and blues when they are way out there.  Currently using a 8.5 ft steelhead rod and looking for more

A good distance setup should take into consideration which reel /line and lure that you are going to use. 1 1/2 to 2 oz is a lot of lure to be using for Albies ... I generally only use such lure on large beaches with tons of current ... like Wasque point on MV.  I have used 9’ Lami’s with ZB22 and 30 lb Samurai with great success ... I would look at the Black Hole Rods as well as Lami and ever the Okuma Rockaway ... I have the 11’ light version and I used it with a VSX159 this Fall quite a bit ... I wouldn’t go over 1 1/4 oz with the light version.

I highly recommend to Black Hole S962 Monster Special Sea Bass, hopefully Kilsong will bring this rod stateside. I picked mine up off the auction site and it absolutely launches the Halco twisty 55. I realize that it's over budget, but what a great value overall. Another inexpensive yet not cheap option is the Kuying pirate PTS962M , I use one as my surf perch rod and it will also zing smaller metals quite a distance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just wanted to mention I that I have the older emcast , 11’3-8 and have paired it with a 706z reel and have used it to cast metal like kastmaster xl and Hopkins fairly far. The ferrule on my particular rod gets loose but that could be my lack of experience. I also have a mojo 11’ 3-8 which will launch a deadly dick pretty far. I would think a 9’ would be just as good though and same for 10, 10’6 if you are casting all day. My 10’ Cabela’s salmon steelhead tourney trail rated 1/2-2 will launch 1.5 oz kastmasters a good distance and feels like a feather. 2 oz pay loads don’t seem to go as far, but I could be wrong. The tourney trail is now the Cabela’s fish eagle salmon rod. It’s newest version. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

12 hours ago, rocketsurgeon said:

I highly recommend to Black Hole S962 Monster Special Sea Bass, hopefully Kilsong will bring this rod stateside. I picked mine up off the auction site and it absolutely launches the Halco twisty 55. I realize that it's over budget, but what a great value overall. Another inexpensive yet not cheap option is the Kuying pirate PTS962M , I use one as my surf perch rod and it will also zing smaller metals quite a distance.

If you like Black Hole S962 Monster Special Sea Bass, you should like Black Hole Suzuki rods as both are with the same concept and very similar each other.

Edited by ksong

And I think you have to weigh these two factors ... faster , stiffer rods really excell at punching tins long distance , and also aid it actually driving the hook home when you get bit way out on end of cast , but, they are not as good at keeping a fish buttoned up , specially those last 30yrds or so , the fight can be alil jerky from fast tip and result in pulled hooks more.. softer rod gonna lose some distance and hook setting power on them long bites , but fighting fish on is a pleasure and will for sure help keep that hook in its spot  ..and lets be serious here , who doesn’t like a rod hooped over deep ... 

so it really finding that balance that works best for your style of fishing ..  

just food for thought ... 

Edited by Wire For Fire

6 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

And I think you have to weigh these two factors ... faster , stiffer rods really excell at punching tins long distance , and also aid it actually driving the hook home when you get bit way out on end of cast , but, they are not as good at keeping a fish buttoned up , specially those last 30yrds or so , the fight can be alil jerky from fast tip and result in pulled hooks more.. softer rod gonna lose some distance and hook setting power on them long bites , but fighting fish on is a pleasure and will for sure help keep that hook in its spot  ..and lets be serious here , who doesn’t like a rod hooped over deep ... 

so it really finding that balance that works best for your style of fishing ..  

just food for thought ... 

Great point.  I've experienced this.  Even more pronounced with braid

Edited by Thumb-Burner