Thumb-Burner

Rod for Max distance with 2oz metal?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Ok.  Not looking for plugging rod.  Looking for Max distance for 1.5-2.5oz metal...

200 or under.  Thinking 10'er or so.  This will be for Albies and Spanish mackerel and blues when they are way out there.  Currently using a 8.5 ft steelhead rod and looking for more

For tins about 2ozs I like a Daiwa Sealine X 10'er, or the Emcast 10'er. Both are casting rods, not spinning. Their ratings are 3-6, but that is over rating them. They would fit your bill.:howdy:

There a few rods that are in the ballpark distance wise  at around $200 - depends on what you like casting style/ action - all 2 piece 10'6" or 10". 

Tsunami Airwave elite, Mojo, Star Paraflex, Black Hole Suzuki

I'm sure there are others...

Also for distance - I use 14# Fireline Crystal vs. 30# braid. 14# Fireline usually tests out at over 30# breaking strength.

34 mins ago, gman1253 said:

There a few rods that are in the ballpark distance wise  at around $200 - depends on what you like casting style/ action - all 2 piece 10'6" or 10". 

Tsunami Airwave elite, Mojo, Star Paraflex, Black Hole Suzuki

I'm sure there are others...

Also for distance - I use 14# Fireline Crystal vs. 30# braid. 14# Fireline usually tests out at over 30# breaking strength.

14# fireline is what I use for this as well.  Thanks all for the recommendations

2 hours ago, jimmy z said:

For tins about 2ozs I like a Daiwa Sealine X 10'er, or the Emcast 10'er. Both are casting rods, not spinning. Their ratings are 3-6, but that is over rating them. They would fit your bill.:howdy:

Wish I could find one of the old blue deadline x ten footers.  Those were perfect for this.  Is the emcast similar?

13 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Wish I could find one of the old blue deadline x ten footers.  Those were perfect for this.  Is the emcast similar?

I still have one of the older deadline x 10'ers and a 9'er too.

The newer sealine x and the emcast are pretty much the same. The older blank was light and strong, so are the newer models.

6 mins ago, jimmy z said:

I still have one of the older deadline x 10'ers and a 9'er too.

The newer sealine x and the emcast are pretty much the same. The older blank was light and strong, so are the newer models.

What's major difference between new sealine and emcast?

12 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

What's major difference between new sealine and emcast?

The sealine has a graphite composite blank and the emcast a graphite blank

From personal experience, an Airwave Elite 1102M.  Its an eleven footer but very light.  Have it paired up with a Penn Spinfisher V4500. This combo was used by John Skinner in one of his video's.  That's how I became aware of it.  I think the rod was $189 when I bought it.  

I would look at both the rod and reel for max distance. Daiwa makes some very nice sticks and always has for reasonable money. For 1.5-2.5 I would look at daiwas rated 2-5 over the lighter 1-4’s. Matched with lighter line and a good casting spinner would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I would look at both the rod and reel for max distance. Daiwa makes some very nice sticks and always has for reasonable money. For 1.5-2.5 I would look at daiwas rated 2-5 over the lighter 1-4’s. Matched with lighter line and a good casting spinner would be ideal. 

The daiwa's I use are rated 3-6 but are more like a 1-2.5. 

I use and like Abu/Omoto 5500-6000 reels, no spinning reels used. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the OP does casting rods, not spinners.