Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmy z

Berkeley Gorilla Braid

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have used this line, the 50# test, on a Penn 155 for years. I like the line for it's thickness and strength. I'm gonna get a new spool for my 155 and maybe another reel I have, conventional also. My question is, has anyone bought this line lately? Is today's Gorilla Braid thick like the original? I see there is a camo type now. The original light grey is fine by me. Anyone use this too?

6 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I think you're the only one

Lol, ya think?

I love the stuff. It's so strong that I'm gonna go 35# test. Or do one 35 and one 50#

I’m thinking gorilla braid is basically the same as old fashioned braided Dacron. It was popular on conventional casting rigs for many years.  I used to use it for backing and I probably still have an old spool of it somewhere. Nothing wrong with using something that you like and can believe in. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, valentine said:

I’m thinking gorilla braid is basically the same as old fashioned braided Dacron. It was popular on conventional casting rigs for many years.  I used to use it for backing and I probably still have an old spool of it somewhere. Nothing wrong with using something that you like and can believe in. 

It's not the old braided Dacron. It's a Dyneema/Dacron blend. But thanks for the reply:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

It does make good backing

Lol, if ya wanna use it for backing.

But I'm not. I would use it on my Abu's but it's just too thick. But for my chunking reels it's perfect. And there isn't anything stronger.

You can get some and use it for your bridge rig. Thank me later:howdy:

If you want thicker and stronger, just buy the diameter you want from whatever manufacturer, and it will end up more than strong enough.

I do use the green/white Gorilla Braid on my "cod" rig (made parenthetical by recent regulation changes), exactly due to the diameter. I encountered a couple of boats that banned braid, so off with the 80lb Power Pro I prefer, and on with the 120 or whatever GB, which looks enough like 30lb or so Dacron that I don't get harassed.

53 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I encountered a couple of boats that banned braid, so off with the 80lb Power Pro I prefer, and on with the 120 or whatever GB, which looks enough like 30lb or so Dacron that I don't get harassed.

:idea:

The only problem is that it's less dense(?) than most other braid, so it floats in the water column more, and isn't quite as sensitive. With 80lb PP, I can tell if my weight is just touching the bottom, or laying on it's side, in 250 ft of water. Not hyperbole.

12 mins ago, ermghoti said:

The only problem is that it's less dense(?) than most other braid, so it floats in the water column more, and isn't quite as sensitive. With 80lb PP, I can tell if my weight is just touching the bottom, or laying on it's side, in 250 ft of water. Not hyperbole.

On the contrary my friend, Gorilla braid sinks!:howdy:

2 hours ago, ermghoti said:

If you want thicker and stronger, just buy the diameter you want from whatever manufacturer, and it will end up more than strong enough.

I do use the green/white Gorilla Braid on my "cod" rig (made parenthetical by recent regulation changes), exactly due to the diameter. I encountered a couple of boats that banned braid, so off with the 80lb Power Pro I prefer, and on with the 120 or whatever GB, which looks enough like 30lb or so Dacron that I don't get harassed.

Dude, I know what I like and what i want. I don't need to buy something other than what i use or want. lol :howdy:

2 hours ago, jimmy z said:

On the contrary my friend, Gorilla braid sinks!:howdy:

The huge stuff I'm using definitely sinks less than what I'm used to, but that might be true of any braid of that diameter. When I'm shoulder to shoulder on a head boat, the difference in the line bow from the other patrons is obvious.