apagano80

Fishing Aruba

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi all heading to Aruba in April.  Any suggestions as far as lures along palm beach?  How about spots?  Is it still considered spot burning?  Any advice would be appreciated.

I fished there a couple of summers ago. Was hoping for some tarpon, but no dice.

DIdn't fish Palm Beach, but small castmasters and white fluke on a light jig worked in other spots.

My best luck was at Pos Chiquito Beach Park. Lots of small bonefish and bigger baracudas in the shallows. Saw some schools of ladyfish, but didn't catch any. Blue runners in deeper water.

Great place to snorkle too with a sunken fishing boat in the lagoon.

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

Go down by the cruise ship terminal, there's a tackle shop called paradise tackle, Decent selection... I walked right outside through the renaissance hotel  down to the rocks and got it in. 

Man i just got back from Aruba a couple of weeks ago. Totally bummed about the surf fishing while i was there. I stayed in a house near the high rises and fished a couple of the coral jetties right at sunrise before the boat traffic and swimmers. I fished up in secluded areas where it was all rocky and tons of channels. Nothing. I fished the south end in crazy waves. Nothing.

I have cell phone video of birds diving and fish busting for hours every day at all times of the day. Only problem was they were 300 yards out. Talked to some locals and they basically said you're screwed unless you float balloons out a couple hundred yards. I did find some places that looked really good, but didn't have my rod with me at the time. I am sure i would have better luck if i went back and tried again. 

I was swimming at Arashi beach on day around noon with 300 cruise ship passengers. I saw (i think) a huge cuda that basically went between my legs. Had to have been close to 30-36 inches.

I had heard of and seen youtube video of marshy area that held tarpon and snook. Looked for it all over in the area i thought it was. Asked a local vendor (that my wife purchased stuff from) about it because he was also a fisherman. He told me "no man we got nothing like that here" all with a huge smile and laughing under his breath. So i know it exists. 

Gear - light metal. The reef is super shallow and i was constantly getting snagged.