beret

Peeble Beach ProAm

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Guys I am in the northeast and watching the PeebleBeach ProAm..............and I am drooling over the structure and very fishing looking water right off that beach along the course........please tell me that is great striper water plugging off the beach......

I used to be a server at the Beach & Tennis Club in college in Stillwater Cove off the 17th T-off & Greens. Man many a fish off that private dock including Lingcod, Leopard sharks, cabezons, etc. I was not allowed to fish from May-Aug since the howty toyty yaht club was in full swing, but once I befriended the harbor master with a fist full of his favorite cigars and case of beer every once in a while, he would let me and friends fish there after hours. One night I was fishing alone for leopards and hooked one 5 footer, got down the ladder, gaffed it, pulled it up, just to see my other rod go off with a 6 footer, that one I gaffed but was too tired to lift it, so up to the club I went to ask the night crew for help. Put both sharks in the walk-in fridge because the head chef at the time didn't believe I was catching that big of sharks that close in, the next morning he got quite a surprise when he came in to do inventory in the walk in. The bigger shark was full of un-born baby sharks that the Vietnamese dishwashers went nuts over and made soup with. These days I feel bad about my youthful carnage. I knew I had a really special thing going while working there and still miss it. 

Couple of pics from the end of the dock I was able to dig up, couldn't find the shark pics though. Proof I am not making shat up. As you can see still an idiot many years later...

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

I've done a lot of diving off the pebble beach golf course area...

Lot of fish variety for sure...I've seen stripers while diving over there, but the area is more known for rockfish/lingcod etc...

Get's a lot of pressure from kayak anglers/divers, but can still produce...

Beautiful area to explore for sure...

Sincerely,

Jim