They do love live bait.

DoorGunner

On 2/11/2019 at 4:41 AM, DoorGunner said:

We always have grass shrimp around our dock but they are real thick during the winter months. We have a tide at the dock but the water moves in from two different directions, from the south and the west. Tide goes up and down but little current as the flow goes against each other. I believe the shrimp congregate here because there is food and they don't have to fight a strong current. Once we hit spring and the water begins to warm they thin out as they move out into the current. 

Here is a good example of the amount of shrimp we have around the dock during the winter months. Thats my drop net after I pulled it and it's sitting on snow covering the dock. Not even any bait in the net.

5c64b2ce17f59_001(8).JPG.0f8120e022e60d48fd173d9e11304ff0.JPG

Thanks Gunner for the info. I miss the Northeast estuaries. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

9 hours ago, bobber said:

looks like the place could use a clean-up............?

True. Right alongside the main road leaving Wildwood and  always has trash either thrown from cars or blown in by the winds. The rest is carried in by the tide and wind where it gets trapped in the corner. We are slobs.  

Going to give it a shot tomorrow. Did the catching your bait segment this morning and ran into a problem. The ditch was almost totally covered in skim ice. Temps were down into the twenty's last night. Set the minnow trap and sat in the truck for about twenty minutes. A friend who has his business right there came over and said that I had competition for the minnows. Seems a blue heron has set up shop there for the past two days and they can do a lot of damage to a small ditch like that. Pulled the trap and had five minnows with three being to small to even think about putting a hook in. The camera guy said that he had to get to church early because he sings and the practice before the service. I moved the trap closer to the edge of the weeds and let it soak for an hour and a half. When he returned I pulled the trap and thankfully we had about fifty minnows of assorted sizes for tomorrow. Picked the ones I want and ready to head out in the morning. Had some light snow this evening then it changed to rain but it's supposed to be above freezing so maybe we have a chance. Will let you know tomorrow evening. Stopped by a big box store this morning to pick up another pack of hooks and other things and they had live worms. Bicked up a carton of red worms just in case the minnows don't produce. Figure the yellow perch will take to them.  . 

IMG_1561.JPG.cd3ee515ce7c3db1a0ede56355aeb1bf.JPGWill never figure fish out. So far after five trips to this lake the score was about forty pickerel to eight yellow perch. Today the front passed through and it was windy and cold. Finished the show with three yellow perch and fifteen crappie. Not a freaking sign of a pickerel. For February 18th windy and cold it was just pure fun. Keeps the brain in the game. 

Edited by DoorGunner