Overmodulated

how important is reverse in Mirage drive?

63 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, Overmodulated said:

Kayak Newbie here.   Am considering the Hobie Compass because I like the size and weight, but am bumbed about its drive having no reverse.   I expect to do a lot of saltwater fishing with it.   Could anyone share their thoughts on the importance of this missing capability?

Many thanks!

You can buy reverse pedal with compass, I did. Just have to pay a bit more.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:19 AM, zpicker said:

You can buy reverse pedal with compass, I did. Just have to pay a bit more.

Did you have to pay the full price of the drive?  It's ridiculous .. $800 or $900.

Thanks

18 mins ago, Overmodulated said:

Did you have to pay the full price of the drive?  It's ridiculous .. $800 or $900.

Thanks

No, I bought during a special, it came with it at no extra charge.  Nowadays for a nominal cost you can upgrade to the 180 Turbo drive. Just search online for best deals. So at the end of the day it’s not ridiculous at all.  It’s a super sweet kayak that you can setup exactly how you want.

Best,

/C

49 mins ago, Overmodulated said:

Thanks

Just did a quick online search and 180 Turbo drive up charge on Compass is $250

The 180 drive is extremely helpful for fishing tight areas or heavy structure, especially if there is a strong current. It helps a lot for getting fish out of said areas, too. Not a necessity, but now that I've been using it for a bit I'd be hard pressed to go back to the non-reversible fins.  

On 2/12/2019 at 11:43 AM, buddha162 said:

Might be a slight exaggeration, but there hasn't been a trip I didn't want reverse in my kayak. I do need to figure out an anchor trolley system for my kayak... 

Roger, I agree 100% about needing the reverse. I saw your anchor trolley thread and was thinking about this in there too. For fishing fresh water near the banks I often wish I had a reverse to back me away from the bank as the wind is pushing me closer.

Then, when I move to FL and fish the mangroves (you guys are invited), I know I will need a reverse to pull back away from the root systems quickly before the fish go back in there and get tangled.

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Then, when I move to FL and fish the mangroves (you guys are invited), I know I will need a reverse to pull back away from the root systems quickly before the fish go back in there and get tangled.

Absolutely! Better brush up on your skipping skills too...place that lure deep under those mangroves lol. 

7 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Absolutely! Better brush up on your skipping skills too...place that lure deep under those mangroves lol. 

I do pretty well with that... with a spinning reel

for me personally I don’t find it necessary to have at all. iv had my hobie now going on it’s 3rd season with the 180 drive and it would be lucky if the reverse feature gets used twice a year. also depends on the type of fishing you are doing I guess

It’s surprising to read about all the people never using reverse. I use it every...single...time. Maybe surf launching and landing is different, but where I fish, rivers, inlets and bays, it is essential. 

23 mins ago, drmevo said:

It’s surprising to read about all the people never using reverse. I use it every...single...time. Maybe surf launching and landing is different, but where I fish, rivers, inlets and bays, it is essential. 

Prob won't use it much if you mostly troll or blind cast. 

I mean I could go catch fish floating on an inner tube so nothing is a must, could just pick up the paddle for some reverse.

This is somewhat off topic but i think pretty related and i didnt see it referenced in the thread. 

I do not have a hobie but was thinking about picking one up, but my assumption was that if you wanted to go backwards you just peddled in opposite direction ?  Is that not the case, can you only propel yourself forward with the pedals in the mirage drive ?