Overmodulated

how important is reverse in Mirage drive?

63 posts in this topic

I do not have it on my 2014 revo but i get envious watching my buddy reverse over a spot he missed a fluke or tog bite. Envy only lasted until he broke the reverse twice lol.  It would be very nice to have if you bottom fish/fish close to bridges/rocks but not necessary.

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a 2019 Outback once i see how loading it on my rack is compared to my revo

10 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Envy only lasted until he broke the reverse twice lol. 

Hey I think I saw that video...your buddy is hilarious...highly entertaining content! 

6 hours ago, robmedina said:

I use the Adventure Island- reverse has been imperative for me. but my yak is a floating dock....

I have a TI.  Reverse on that is mandatory!  With trampolines and 4 people on it, it would be a nightmare to maneuver that without reverse!

Reverse can come in handy.. no doubt...but I think the bigger draw back with hobie reverse is the drive itself....depending on how much you fish...I find the older non reverse drive holds up better..my reverse drive wore out after one full season ... for me I’d go with non reverse 

19 hours ago, TJC said:

Reverse can come in handy.. no doubt...but I think the bigger draw back with hobie reverse is the drive itself....depending on how much you fish...I find the older non reverse drive holds up better..my reverse drive wore out after one full season ... for me I’d go with non reverse 

What wore out on it?

20 hours ago, TJC said:

Will they replace or fix it?

I was in reverse pretty much all day yesterday. My drive for what it’s worth is still 100% after a season and a half of dense fishing. One issue I always have is steering is much harder in reverse in wind - not much you can do of course but I’d be interested in whether the 2019 outback or any of the others with 180 drives do better than my 2018 outback.

not sure if many of you do this but I work an area by going into reverse and casting, moving slowly against the current I can often stay put or go slow enough to work an area pretty thoroughly and of course the lure is moving with the current.

All the older Hobies had a reverse of sorts if you inserted the drive in backwards. First time I did it by mistake I thought I was going crazy!

1 hour ago, TJC said:

Hobie replaced parts due to it was still under warranty..  nothing broke..but the internal parts were worn away ..

35AD8F2A-E801-4578-A83A-023E3D6B440D.jpeg

Love to see a pic of what's worn after you swap out drums and such.

What was the problem that it was giving you?

Making noise, or just a rough feel?

1 hour ago, TJC said:

Just the beginning 

D836EC39-E3D9-4320-9ED3-D4E12FAE4E6B.png

Were you beaching the kayak with the drive still installed, by any chance? Just trying to avoid the same fate and I’ve heard that will do it. 

12 mins ago, drmevo said:

Were you beaching the kayak with the drive still installed, by any chance? Just trying to avoid the same fate and I’ve heard that will do it. 

Hang on, don't the new models have a slightly tucked in/concave area in the hull where the shafts are recessed for beach landings?

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, Africaster said:

Hang on, don't the new models have a slightly tucked in/concave area in the hull where the shafts are recessed for beach landings?

I think the Outback does, but the issue I’ve read about has more to do with sand getting in the internals than the masts bending if that’s what you mean. 

Edited by drmevo

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

I think the Outback does, but the issue I’ve read about has more to do with sand getting in the internals than the masts bending if that’s what you mean. 

Not really ... if the hull’s design has been tweaked to allow for drive in beaching (a good thing ... nay, a great thing), it’s a bit of a bugger that doing exactly what it’s intended to do results in increased wear due to sand getting into the “internals” ... unintended consequences