Overmodulated

how important is reverse in Mirage drive?

63 posts in this topic

Fish salt on LIS and use reverse a fair bit. I was toying with a Compass until I realized I could get a previous year OB for around the same price with a lot more fishing boat. The 180 drive was probably secondary in my decision to go for the OB. The better seat was higher up the list.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use it a lot around docks and moorings. I don’t go out front too often, mainly stick to habors, inlets and rivers. I have also used it out front, though, while getting pulled towards the rocks by a decent fish. 

Edited by drmevo

Why not do a demo on the water and then decide?

My '15 Revo doesn't have reverse and it's not a big issue for me, even though I mostly troll around exposed rock ledges. In a problem situation I usually use my paddle, meaning pushing the paddle against a rock that I don't want to crash into. A few times I had to use the butt of the rod to push the yak away from a rock. Not a problem for Tiger Lites :) 

On 2/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, buddha162 said:

I'd estimate I spend 50% of a togging trip circling back to a rock lol...

That sucks, I'd just anchor up at that point, I'd estimate I spend about 15% of my time effing with the anchor.

I don't have a hobie but I'm always paddling backwards re positioning fishing LIS boulders and bridges.

I picked my outback over a compass for other reasons, but frankly I couldn’t live without reverse. I might be reversing for 60-70% of my outings actually. Testing does not give you a lot of info compared to fishing a few times IMHO

19 hours ago, nateD said:

That sucks, I'd just anchor up at that point, I'd estimate I spend about 15% of my time effing with the anchor.

Might be a slight exaggeration, but there hasn't been a trip I didn't want reverse in my kayak. I do need to figure out an anchor trolley system for my kayak... 

I use it all the time. If you're purchasing your compass from a dealer, I believe you can upgrade your drive for about $200 more. Definitely worth the upgrade.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:55 AM, atv223 said:

You can certainly do just fine without it, but it is sure nice to have.  

That sums it up, the utility of reverse is akin to a rudder on a paddle yak.