Overmodulated

how important is reverse in Mirage drive?

63 posts in this topic

Kayak Newbie here.   Am considering the Hobie Compass because I like the size and weight, but am bumbed about its drive having no reverse.   I expect to do a lot of saltwater fishing with it.   Could anyone share their thoughts on the importance of this missing capability?

Many thanks!

In saltwater I don't need reverse unless I am fishing boulder fields which is never. For freshwater, I use reverse a lot especially in rivers. So I would say for saltwater if you are fishing open bays, ocean the reverse in unnecessary.

as noted above, it depends on what you do.  in the salt, I almost never use it.  But if I fished bridges or tight spots, I would.  I use it sometimes in FW.

I also used Hobies for ten years before they added reverse and never felt that I was missing anything...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Exactly what everyone else said. I have a 2014 Outback and have done just fine without it. It may make it easier depending on tides and what you are trying to do...ie: fishing structure. Hobie customers have fished without the reverse for many years and did just fine.

Edited by Pma531

I have both drives and when I am out with the reversible I very rarely use it. I suppose if I were in a situation where I had to back away from docks it would he convenient.   If its a case where you'd save money not taking the non-reversible drive I'd recommend not going for it.  You could buy a hand paddle for $30!

Definitely not necessary, but I like having it. Sometimes while fluking, flipping the fins to reverse gives me the drift line that I'm looking for. And I use it constantly for togging. Much easier to back up to the boulder I'm working than doing the wide circle.

While fluke and seabass fishing, if I’m underway and spot a piece of structure on the ff I can put it in reverse and come to a stop instead of going another 10 yards before I can drop my bucktail. 

It's convenient to have, but not necessary unless you're fishing in tight quarters. I do a lot of small lake fishing, and to be honest, it's not the best boat for the application. I went and bought another (paddle) boat just for lake fishing. But in open water, long paddles, or bridge fishing and stemming the tide, you can't beat the Hobie there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

For flyfishing (in the salt and fresh) its a game changer. I waited until the 180 drive was available before buying a Hobie. 

Edited by JRT

I fished lakes often in my 2016 Outback and there were oftentimes I wished I had a reversible drive.  Now that I sold it to buy the 2019 I'm so looking forward to having the reversible drive this time. 

It's nice to have but not needed.

For those that want to save a couple of bucks on a Hobie? Price out a 2019 Hobie model bare hull with no reverse drive.  You can find the Hobie GT drive with turbos new for  650. That's cheaper than the 900 Hobie Reverse Drive.

18 hours ago, csteven said:

And I use it constantly for togging. Much easier to back up to the boulder I'm working than doing the wide circle.

I'd estimate I spend 50% of a togging trip circling back to a rock lol...