Beachglass Guru

Leader recommendation

40 posts in this topic

Next time you fish pickerel or know you have a pickerel on the line. One of the way to greatly reduce break off is to not let the fish open it's mouth during the fight.  That means no jumping, no horsing it to stop it completely suddently change direction etc. The less vertical pressure the better.  Steady horizontal pressure, make them swim in wide circles. As long as they keep their mouth shut, you already won half the battle.  In real tight line struggle, their teeth will cut through pretty much any mono or fluoro easily. The smaller ones are way worse than the bigger ones.  

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

Next time you fish pickerel or know you have a pickerel on the line. One of the way to greatly reduce break off is to not let the fish open it's mouth during the fight.  That means no jumping, no horsing it to stop it completely suddently change direction etc. The less vertical pressure the better.  Steady horizontal pressure, make them swim in wide circles. As long as they keep their mouth shut, you already won half the battle.  In real tight line struggle, their teeth will cut through pretty much any mono or fluoro easily. The smaller ones are way worse than the bigger ones.  

when they jump drop the rod tip I did that with a muskie I was not targeting,,,no steel leader

5 hours ago, hobobob said:

This is some really good advice brother, thank you.. I will give this a shot for sure ...  much appreciated 

On 09/02/2019 at 2:42 PM, buddha162 said:

LOL that's why I don't bother with FG in lighter floro...it's a fool's game...completely unnecessary for anything under 10lbs.  

your light game doesnt have leader connected to main line ?

On 09/02/2019 at 2:03 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

I have a spool of seaguar STS #6 here and I was playing around with an FG attachment to the #4 fireline.. it was almost a joke how many times it slipped through...

So.... I softened the tag end of the flouro a bit in a cup of warm water.. then scratched off the waxy coat on the fireline.. then tied the smallest and tightest 30 turn FG I have ever seen.. cinched down and snugged up nicely I think, but to re-tie on the water would be a real b!#@h..

Gotta be a better way.. 

im facing the same problem everytime with FG knot using light 8lbs main line and only recently changed to a different type of knot and until now it work quite well

try using youcatan knot

This was an issue I struggled with for about 3 seasons. I do lots of trout fishing and also steelhead up in Erie. I had used Fireline for years, tried a few different brands of braid then ended up back with Fireline. I use a fluoro leader and I was tying it to the braid when I was using that with a blood knot, then decided that was too hard to tie along the creek so went with a uni to uni knot. That worked ok on braid but when I went back to Fireline I had problems. The knot was so weak that often the leader would snap off in my hands as I was tightening. Tried using less turns and thought that solved it, but ended up losing nice fish last year and thats when I completely gave up on trying to tie a fluoro leader to Fireline. I believe that once you put pressure on that connection, the Fireline cuts into the softer fluoro and ends up weakening the knot costing time, gear, and fish. So I went with a small swivel connection with palomar knots. That has been a good move and I'll be sticking with it. The only disadvantage I've found is that you might sometimes reel the swivel up against or into the rod tip and since you have to allow for the length of the leader dangling when you cast, it can complicate things when your trying to put a pinpoint cast in heavy cover. However those issues are a matter of adjustment and simply changing your casting style a little. The most obvious indicator of my results was that in 2017 in Erie, when I was tying the leaders on, I lost every single Steelhead lure I took with me, then went to Walmart and bought all they had and lost all of those the next day. Not to mention losing more fish than I landed, many of them swimming away with my lure in their mouths. Then in 2018 in Erie using a swivel connection I lost a total of 4 lures to bad casts, none to broken leaders, and only lost 2 fish the entire trip none of which broke my line. 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:58 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

Just put together a few new combos for the fresh and wanted a recommendation on what leader material you guys are using.. 

I know a lot of guys have recommended that I stick with mono, and I understand your reasoning, but I'm much more comfortable fishing braid for the majority of the time..

I did keep a fuego lt 1000 spooled with #4 silver thread for days when line freeze is an issue, but put braid on my other 2 reels... 

I have a fuego lt 1000 with a full spool of fireline #4 and a ballistic lt 1000 topped off with #6 832..

My question is, what are your preferences as far as leader material is concerned?

flouro?

Mono?

#4? #6? Other?

And what knots are you using to attach the leader to your braid? 

I'm mainly targeting trout right now so leader strength is a non issue, but will be going out next week to find some pickerel and I'm assuming I will need heavier leader for them.. #10? #15?

Just doing anything I can to keep the winter blues at bay....

Thank you in advance for your help guys.. 

I use power pro 30lbs braid tied to size#4 barrel roller with Seagar flocarbon 30lbs then I tie my bucktail on using a improve uni-knot

On 2/9/2019 at 1:16 AM, buddha162 said:

I use the same STS from 4 - 30lbs, good stuff and cheap! I did buy a spool of Sunline FC Sniper 7lb and use it as leader material...lots of people like that line, it's slightly more supple than STS. But then again, STS is leader material vs mainline for FC Sniper, so I would imagine the tradeoff is better abrasion resistance. Scooby recommended I think P-Line Halo, but I have so much STS sitting around never got to it. Personally I think if you're only using it as leader material, ie no concerns about memory or casting behavior off the spool...you can use anything (except berkley vanish, JFC that line gave me nightmares). 

Never targeted pickerel, but if I were to...with just the stuff I have on hand, I would tie a 4" 20lb floro bite leader to your line. I've used single strand titanium wire before for bluefish...those come in very light tests and you can actually tie certain connection knots with it...but probably overkill for pickerel. Though if you're using any $$$ lures, something to consider lol. 

Good to know this i just started using braid on my trout -crappie rod 10lbs power pro didnt know what size to uses flor to use or mono thinking 6lbs