Beachglass Guru

Leader recommendation

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Thank you man. Much appreciated advice there... I have never even seen these before.  Just did a quick Google search and they have my attention for sure.. only thing is, I dont see any strength ratings on any brands at all, just sizes.. what sizes are you using and and have you ever had one open up on you?  I wouldn't worry about them opening on trout obviously, but how would they handle some harder fighting species? 

Dunno the absolute break strength, but I use the smallest ones for trout and the rest of my gear is sized accordingly.  In the words of Forrest Gump, "You never know what you're gonna get" when fishing mini-jigs.  Attached are a few pics of bycatch while mini-jigging for trout.

2 Hour Parking.txt

My Carp.jpg

IMG_0091.JPG

P5070021.JPG

Fluoro is a subject that will get you a100 different answers at which is the best. I have personally found BPS XPS KVD Series to be as good as any out there, and it doesn’t break the bank. It has performed flawlessly for me for years, from #6 - #20, it has been excellent. I use an FG knot 99% of the time to tie it to my braid.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, buddha162 said:

LOL that's why I don't bother with FG in lighter floro...it's a fool's game...completely unnecessary for anything under 10lbs.  

Agreed.

I’ve been using sunline sniper fluoro... in whatever lb test, it’s been great.  Would definitely recommend for fluoro leader.

11 hours ago, shark lobster said:

If you are going after trout i would not use anything bigger than 4 lb mono leader or flouro if thats your thing !

Agreed. And the mono should be the plain jane Ande pink.

Its incredible just how strong that stuff is.

Its dirt cheap, so there's no reason not to try it.

Then make a decision.

2 hours ago, TJones said:

I’ve been using sunline sniper fluoro... in whatever lb test, it’s been great.  Would definitely recommend for fluoro leader.

I like their odd sizes too, 7lb is great for almost all finesse bass fishing...

Have you used the heavier FC sniper? How do you rate its abrasion resistance compared to say, seaguar blue/STS leader material? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

After trying all kinds of Fluorocarbon leader material I finally settled on Tatsu and love the stuff. It ties great knots, is smaller in diameter, less stiff than most fluorocarbons, and has a great balance between subtleness, abrasion resistance, and strength. It does not hamper the action of lures as much the other fluorocarbons and casts better. This can make a difference if you are swimming micro jigs or a lure with a subtle action or delicate balance.

The Alberto is a braid over the leader knot that helps protect the knot from wear when it is going through the guides so your knot lasts a longer. I use an improved Alberto knot with a locking loop.

With one of the newer smoother 6 or 8 lb braids you can tie a 4 to 12 lb. leader depending on how you plan to fish.

I have tried every type of fluorocarbon I could find including the super soft ones used for fly leaders, the ones popular with bass fisherman, and the stiffer harder ones for saltwater and pike fishing and for most freshwater fishing applications Tatsu is my go to fluorocarbon.

I buy the stuff on sale in the Winter and a 200 yrd spool is good for a lot of leaders.

Edited by Jay Blair

4 hours ago, buddha162 said:

I like their odd sizes too, 7lb is great for almost all finesse bass fishing...

Have you used the heavier FC sniper? How do you rate its abrasion resistance compared to say, seaguar blue/STS leader material? 

I’ve used the 20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8...

i use the 10 and 16 the most... abrasion resistance has seemed really good too me. I had a couple spools of seaguar red label that mysteriously went bad on me a few years ago. I switched to the sunline and have been very happy since. I have tried the STS seaguar with good results but was in lower lb test (6) for steelhead fishing. Blue label I always did like... but I think sniper is less $$ and just as good or better. I never tried the Tsatsu mentioned above.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TJones said:

I’ve used the 20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8...

i use the 10 and 16 the most... abrasion resistance has seemed really good too me. I had a couple spools of seaguar red label that mysteriously went bad on me a few years ago. I switched to the sunline and have been very happy since. I have tried the STS seaguar with good results but was in lower lb test (6) for steelhead fishing. Blue label I always did like... but I think sniper is less $$ and just as good or better. I never tried the Tsatsu mentioned above.

Sunline Fluoro is excellent line, is a little tougher, has a larger diameter, over tests more, and is a little stiffer.  I used to use it for hammering hooks through thick plastics where finesse and stealth were not an issue. You can achieve the same thing by going up a couple pounds with Tatsu and it still looks thinner and handles better IMO.

If I was looking for toothy critters I would use a tougher fluorocarbon than Tatsu or Sunline. or wire, though Sunline would be a good compromise for multispecies if toothy critter were around..

I landed a 31" walleye on a three day old 6 Tatsu leader that was used to land a 100 or more medium to small walleyes before I hooked the large one. The Canadian fishing lodge lake we were fishing was not a remote lake with naïve fish, but it had a ridiculous number of walleyes. I could see they big ones on the depth finder, but you had to get past all the mediums and smalls to catch them. We tried using heavier tackle and steel leaders for pike, but all our big pike were caught while we were fishing for walleyes.  Go figure, I guess we were only scratching the surface on our first trip and we did not even try to catch the lake trout.

I may try a more remote Fishing lodge this year. Some lakes are known for numbers of fish, some for big fish, and a few for both. I did a numbers lake last year because it was closer, had nice boats,  inexpensive, and had a good American Plan. We fished hard each day and did not want to cook. We made coffee and did some light cooking in the cabin, but that was about it. There were very nice meals at the lodge especially the breakfasts and Dinners and it gave you a chance to meet, socialize, and share fishing information with the other fisherman if you wanted to. Many of the folks at the lodge had been fishing there for many years.

Edited by Jay Blair

I have been using up all my STS trout fluorocarbon leader spools . I pretty cheap to purchase & quality is good. For my local stock trout fishing I have 3lb braid tied to 6lb fluorocarbon leader with a FG knot. When I hit bigger rivers for wild brown up in W. Branch Delaware. I have 8lb braid with 10lb fluorocarbon. The fish dont play up there and they will run you out  

Thanks for all the replys.. very appreciative for all the input and recommendations...

The #6 STS has been perfect the last few outings.. supple enough even with the 1/32 and 1/16 jigs. And it's more than strong enough, after all its trout were talking about here...

one of the spots my buddy and I plan to visit soon can hold good sized sea run browns and frequently a few schoolie holdovers in the mix as well.. I'll likely add a spool of #10 STS for these purposes..... 

My big question is still the recommendation for pickerel leader.... all I read about is how toothy they are, and I'd rather not loose $100 of lures to a few afternoons of boredom therapy...

I'm planning on going with #20 blue label... unless some pickerel sharpie out there has yet to chime in with a more suitable option..