Beachglass Guru

Leader recommendation

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just put together a few new combos for the fresh and wanted a recommendation on what leader material you guys are using.. 

I know a lot of guys have recommended that I stick with mono, and I understand your reasoning, but I'm much more comfortable fishing braid for the majority of the time..

I did keep a fuego lt 1000 spooled with #4 silver thread for days when line freeze is an issue, but put braid on my other 2 reels... 

I have a fuego lt 1000 with a full spool of fireline #4 and a ballistic lt 1000 topped off with #6 832..

My question is, what are your preferences as far as leader material is concerned?

flouro?

Mono?

#4? #6? Other?

And what knots are you using to attach the leader to your braid? 

I'm mainly targeting trout right now so leader strength is a non issue, but will be going out next week to find some pickerel and I'm assuming I will need heavier leader for them.. #10? #15?

Just doing anything I can to keep the winter blues at bay....

Thank you in advance for your help guys.. 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

I have a spool of seaguar STS #6 here and I was playing around with an FG attachment to the #4 fireline.. it was almost a joke how many times it slipped through...

So.... I softened the tag end of the flouro a bit in a cup of warm water.. then scratched off the waxy coat on the fireline.. then tied the smallest and tightest 30 turn FG I have ever seen.. cinched down and snugged up nicely I think, but to re-tie on the water would be a real b!#@h..

Gotta be a better way.. 

12 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I know a lot of guys have recommended that I stick with mono, and I understand your reasoning, but I'm much more comfortable fishing braid for the majority of the time..

Braid to leader for everything...the only time you need mono (and just leader mono, never a full spool) is when fishing topwater treble hook baits, bc floro sinks and straight braid will get tangled up in the front trebles. 

I've been using the Shin Fukae knot (there's a video on YT) to join lighter leaders to braid (4 - 12lbs). It's basically a half alberto knot, where you only wrap down and not up...it's slightly slimmer and imo just as strong and easier to tie correctly than the traditional alberto. It also casts through guides all day w/o issue. For length, generally you want the connection knot between the reel and the first guide, and a couple feet hanging off your rod tip to the lure...roughly 7-9 ft. That gives you plenty of room to retie, and there's enough distance from your braid to lure that it shouldn't spook fish for most applications.

2-6lb for trout, 6-8lb for most finesse spinning stuff for bass: dropshot, ned rig, tiny jigs/shaky heads, finesse jerkbaits etc. 

37 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I have a spool of seaguar STS #6 here and I was playing around with an FG attachment to the #4 fireline.. it was almost a joke how many times it slipped through...

So.... I softened the tag end of the flouro a bit in a cup of warm water.. then scratched off the waxy coat on the fireline.. then tied the smallest and tightest 30 turn FG I have ever seen.. cinched down and snugged up nicely I think, but to re-tie on the water would be a real b!#@h..

Gotta be a better way.. 

LOL that's why I don't bother with FG in lighter floro...it's a fool's game...completely unnecessary for anything under 10lbs.  

14 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Braid to leader for everything...the only time you need mono (and just leader mono, never a full spool) is when fishing topwater treble hook baits, bc floro sinks and straight braid will get tangled up in the front trebles. 

I've been using the Shin Fukae knot (there's a video on YT) to join lighter leaders to braid (4 - 12lbs). It's basically a half alberto knot, where you only wrap down and not up...it's slightly slimmer and imo just as strong and easier to tie correctly than the traditional alberto. It also casts through guides all day w/o issue. For length, generally you want the connection knot between the reel and the first guide, and a couple feet hanging off your rod tip to the lure...roughly 7-9 ft. That gives you plenty of room to retie, and there's enough distance from your braid to lure that it shouldn't spook fish for most applications.

2-6lb for trout, 6-8lb for most finesse spinning stuff for bass: dropshot, ned rig, tiny jigs/shaky heads, finesse jerkbaits etc. 

12 mins ago, buddha162 said:

LOL that's why I don't bother with FG in lighter floro...it's a fool's game...completely unnecessary for anything under 10lbs.  

Thank you brother.  I appreciate the insight.. I'm going to Google that knot now..

Any specific flouro you prefer? Or is this seaguar STS stuff sufficient..

Also, what flouro strength would be appropriate for pickerel? I've seen several threads where guys refer to steel or titanium leaders which just seems like SERIOUS overkill.. I know they are toothy buggers but I dont think they warrant metal leaders on UL gear.. 

Thanks again for the reply 

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Just put together a few new combos for the fresh and wanted a recommendation on what leader material you guys are using.. 

I did keep a fuego lt 1000 spooled with #4 silver thread for days when line freeze is an issue, but put braid on my other 2 reels... 

I have a fuego lt 1000 with a full spool of fireline #4 and a ballistic lt 1000 topped off with #6 832..

My question is, what are your preferences as far as leader material is concerned?

flouro?

Mono?

#4? #6? Other?

I'm mainly targeting trout right now so leader strength is a non issue, but will be going out next week to find some pickerel and I'm assuming I will need heavier leader for them.. #10? #15?

When I fish the Westchester Reservoirs for trout.. I use 15lb Braid connected to 8lb P-Line CXX...via Albright knot...if you believe in the whole visibility thing,Seaguar Blue Label seems to be good stuff..if it’s smaller stream trout etc..then I’d go to 4lb CXX .

3 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Thank you brother.  I appreciate the insight.. I'm going to Google that knot now..

Any specific flouro you prefer? Or is this seaguar STS stuff sufficient..

Also, what flouro strength would be appropriate for pickerel? I've seen several threads where guys refer to steel or titanium leaders which just seems like SERIOUS overkill.. I know they are toothy buggers but I dont think they warrant metal leaders on UL gear.. 

I use the same STS from 4 - 30lbs, good stuff and cheap! I did buy a spool of Sunline FC Sniper 7lb and use it as leader material...lots of people like that line, it's slightly more supple than STS. But then again, STS is leader material vs mainline for FC Sniper, so I would imagine the tradeoff is better abrasion resistance. Scooby recommended I think P-Line Halo, but I have so much STS sitting around never got to it. Personally I think if you're only using it as leader material, ie no concerns about memory or casting behavior off the spool...you can use anything (except berkley vanish, JFC that line gave me nightmares). 

Never targeted pickerel, but if I were to...with just the stuff I have on hand, I would tie a 4" 20lb floro bite leader to your line. I've used single strand titanium wire before for bluefish...those come in very light tests and you can actually tie certain connection knots with it...but probably overkill for pickerel. Though if you're using any $$$ lures, something to consider lol. 

flouro?

Mono?

#4? #6? Other?

never fished for pickerel, but this is the evolution of my trout leader/line setup.

trout leader.txt

Edited by bass11
grammar

flouro?

Mono?

#4? #6? Other?

As far as Pickerel go..I have been cut off fishing suspended jerkbaits for bass many times..usually it was 12lb CXX..which runs thick,,and has good abrasion resistance,,and the picks teeth cut through it like butter..and I’m sure they would cut through 15 just as easy.

7 hours ago, bass11 said:

never fished for pickerel, but this is the evolution of my trout leader/line setup.

trout leader.txt

Wow.  Great read.   And my second time reading that also I might add.. I had stumbled across that in another thread and read it through entirely.. you sir, are the reason for 1 complete combo I now have solely dedicated to micro jigging.. a technique, that since reading your post, has kept me up many long sleepless hours reading and watching videos on the technique

. Thank you for sharing 

7 hours ago, cashews121 said:

As far as Pickerel go..I have been cut off fishing suspended jerkbaits for bass many times..usually it was 12lb CXX..which runs thick,,and has good abrasion resistance,,and the picks teeth cut through it like butter..and I’m sure they would cut through 15 just as easy.

So if I was thinking 20lb blue label flouro I may not be crazy after all?

Here's the thing, I dont want the stiffness of my leader overly effecting the action if lures...

Maybe this is why guys are using titanium.... still seems a bit much though... 

5 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Here's the thing, I dont want the stiffness of my leader overly effecting the action if lures...

One of the main reasons I use a No-Knot Fast Snap is for improved and unrestricted action.  Stiff leaders in conjunction with the NO-Knot Snap is fine.  As a matter of fact, I prefer stiffer leader material.  The other is convenience.  Takes a little while to get the knack of using them, but once you do, you'll think they're  the greatest thing since sliced bread.  You are gonna have so much fun mini-jigging for trout you won't know whether to sh&t or go blind.

9 hours ago, bass11 said:

One of the main reasons I use a No-Knot Fast Snap is for improved and unrestricted action.  Stiff leaders in conjunction with the NO-Knot Snap is fine.  As a matter of fact, I prefer stiffer leader material.  The other is convenience.  Takes a little while to get the knack of using them, but once you do, you'll think they're  the greatest thing since sliced bread.  You are gonna have so much fun mini-jigging for trout you won't know whether to sh&t or go blind.

Thank you man. Much appreciated advice there... I have never even seen these before.  Just did a quick Google search and they have my attention for sure.. only thing is, I dont see any strength ratings on any brands at all, just sizes.. what sizes are you using and and have you ever had one open up on you?  I wouldn't worry about them opening on trout obviously, but how would they handle some harder fighting species? 

9 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I use a Double Uni Knot which seems to work well .  In your application I would probably go with 15 or 20 pound Fluoro - I usually use Seagar blue

:th:. That's what I was thinking.. I'll start with some 20lb blue label and see if I get cut off..

Edited by Beachglass Guru