Bow390

Fat cow problem

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, Big Will said:

This is what I always used to do. But it was a mess. How do they cure and do they have the same action afterwards? Luckily I'm not going to run out of uncle Josh anytime but there is one other alternative and I forgot the name I'll have to check when I get home but they are like 10 dollars for a jar of 6 it's ridiculous 

Can't comment on how it compares to pork but I think they have great action.  Never used pork.  Just wasn't a thing where Im from.  Never even heard of using it till I joined SOL 10yrs ago.  Salt does firm it up a bit but they soften up pretty quickly with a few casts.  As far as a mess goes I never experienced that.  I cure them in the fridge in a plastic colander with a pan under ithe to catch the excess juices.  After two or three days put in a container with just salt.  Use as needed.   

30 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I use Jello to dye the Squid strips...

Interesting.   I just use red food coloring.  Came out kinda pink.  Was killer on the cinder worm hatch. 

16 hours ago, Roddy said:

I still used the uncle josh stuff years ago.

it did have some motion to it but,hated having to put it back in the bottle afterwards.

after that,I switched to 6 white curlies and was sold on them.just hanging in the deep they move and look alive.

I also tried 8 inchers with some being double thick and they worked well too.

now,Bow390,I am going to yell at you a lil bit,in a friendly way.

why would you allow "lack of confidence" in a piece of rubber or whatever it is made of stop you from trying them?

I am sure you have skills at fishing with a bucktail so,what about that?

don't you think you have enough in you to fish them and catch with them?

I bet you do.

HH

ps-it ain't the arrow,it's the indian.

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian--- You gotta know Vito!

Crazy Bill

16 hours ago, Roddy said:

I still used the uncle josh stuff years ago.

it did have some motion to it but,hated having to put it back in the bottle afterwards.

after that,I switched to 6 white curlies and was sold on them.just hanging in the deep they move and look alive.

I also tried 8 inchers with some being double thick and they worked well too.

now,Bow390,I am going to yell at you a lil bit,in a friendly way.

why would you allow "lack of confidence" in a piece of rubber or whatever it is made of stop you from trying them?

I am sure you have skills at fishing with a bucktail so,what about that?

don't you think you have enough in you to fish them and catch with them?

I bet you do.

HH

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian--- You gotta know Vito!

Crazy Bill

18 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Make your own pork rinds. I got enough to last me for 10 years for about $3. It's time consuming and a bit physical to do, but well worth it. Check out this thread:

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/719471-making-your-own-pork/#comment-12947515

I just wanted to give you a perspective of these pork rinds I found .  They were obtained from a local B&T at a cost of $20

You seemed to enjoy doing it and it cost you a lot less

7841AEB8-6102-4D98-9DB3-90C61853EB71.jpeg

2225A975-AFDB-4E4F-822E-CBBEAB088DA7.jpeg

Just now, puff tentacle said:

I just wanted to give you a perspective of these pork rinds I found .  They were obtained from a local B&T at a cost of $20

You seemed to enjoy doing it and it cost you a lot less

7841AEB8-6102-4D98-9DB3-90C61853EB71.jpeg

2225A975-AFDB-4E4F-822E-CBBEAB088DA7.jpeg

I definitely did enjoy it, but man it was a lot of work. I know uj had machines that did the work, but after seeing how much it is to do by hand I'd be selling my jars for $50 each. Haha.

6 mins ago, chitala383 said:

I definitely did enjoy it, but man it was a lot of work. I know uj had machines that did the work, but after seeing how much it is to do by hand I'd be selling my jars for $50 each. Haha.

$$$$$ go for it.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like Otter tails curlytail version, works nice for fishing bucktails deep, and the strip has a nice twistertail action that does the trick. However, I have noticed that if you don't store them correctly afterwards, they have the potential to mold badly, and can kill some of the curlytail action. So probably best if you put them back in the jar in a similar fashion as they were after using them. Oh, and they use a mesh netting similar to fishbites for the material of the trailer. This works great for keeping the trailer from flying off the bucktail, but results in a big pita/ripping of the plastic when trying to remove them from the hook.. My recommendation is to try and wiggle the hook around some after you hook the trailer, in an attempt to widen the tear in the plastic a bit so its easier to remove the trailer when the time comes. Though, you'll be hard-pressed to not damage the plastic a little while trying to get it on the hook for the first time.

Edited by BassinJ

19 hours ago, jesgord said:

I have had great success with the split tail jig strips....they are my go-to trailer.  Not sure how you tested them...but here is a video of the various sizes/styles in action.   I noticed no decline in fish/hits when I switched over from pork several years ago.

18 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

I second what Jessie’s has to say. I use them pretty much exclusively now. I still have some jars uncle josh but bother with them any more. 

On 2/9/2019 at 0:16 AM, Roddy said:

:agree: good advice here...

with a little practice, fat cows produce COWS

I love the fat cow strips but I think many people are not familliar enough with the actions of the different cuts.. the split tail referenced by the OP has always proven deadly for me. I find that style of trailer needs more a much more lively retrieve.. its needs a lot of popping and bouncing through the water collum for its presentation to be more effective...

Imho, if your looking for that slow fluttering action on a more controlled straight retrieve, you may prefer the eel tail model.

Also, let's not forget that we can modify these things with a razor blade or pair of scissors.. one of my favorite mods is to split the eel tails down the center for about 3/4 of its length... absolutely deadly fluttering action 

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

:agree: good advice here...

with a little practice, fat cows produce COWS

I love the fat cow strips but I think many people are not familliar enough with the actions of the different cuts.. the split tail referenced by the OP has always proven deadly for me. I find that style of trailer needs more a much more lively retrieve.. its needs a lot of popping and bouncing through the water collum for its presentation to be more effective...

Imho, if your looking for that slow fluttering action on a more controlled straight retrieve, you may prefer the eel tail model.

Also, let's not forget that we can modify these things with a razor blade or pair of scissors.. one of my favorite mods is to split the eel tails down the center for about 3/4 of its length... absolutely deadly fluttering action 

I rig all my bucktails before going out.I usually rig 6 with 6 inch curlies,a drop of super glue just where the bend of the hook meets the shaft then slide the tail up and shove it all the way then done.

when one needs replacing,I just do it up again,no fuss.

HH

Roddy-  I was talking about an old Montauk Fisherman I used to fish with named Vito Orlando.  He used to say that often.

It is often true.

Crazy Bill

3 mins ago, Bill Dickinson said:

Roddy-  I was talking about an old Montauk Fisherman I used to fish with named Vito Orlando.  He used to say that often.

It is often true.

Crazy Bill

I picked that up around here somewhere.

it is def true,,the best gear in this world won't catch you fish unless you know how to use it.

HH