Bow390

Fat cow problem

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I just received a bottle of fat cow split tail as an alternative to uncle josh and as I tested the action in the water it is completely lifeless, it looks like I’m dragging a white plastic knife through the water. Anyone else experiencing this with the split tail? I know nothing will have the action of a pork rind but I expected a little bit of action

E32D6DFA-D359-4E18-A7F9-8B6BC590B830.jpeg

Yes.. I had some samples given to me at a show a few years back,,had the same impression,so I never fished em,,stuck with the Otter tails...That being said,they must catch fish cause guys use em..I just didn’t try em.

12 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Yes.. I had some samples given to me at a show a few years back,,had the same impression,so I never fished em,,stuck with the Otter tails...That being said,they must catch fish cause guys use em..I just didn’t try em.

I’m sure they will catch fish but If I don’t have 100 percent confidence in something I’m not going to use it

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, Bow390 said:

I’m sure they will catch fish but If I don’t have 100 percent confidence in something I’m not going to use it

I still used the uncle josh stuff years ago.

it did have some motion to it but,hated having to put it back in the bottle afterwards.

after that,I switched to 6 white curlies and was sold on them.just hanging in the deep they move and look alive.

I also tried 8 inchers with some being double thick and they worked well too.

now,Bow390,I am going to yell at you a lil bit,in a friendly way.

why would you allow "lack of confidence" in a piece of rubber or whatever it is made of stop you from trying them?

I am sure you have skills at fishing with a bucktail so,what about that?

don't you think you have enough in you to fish them and catch with them?

I bet you do.

HH

ps-it ain't the arrow,it's the indian.

Edited by Roddy

I have substituted squids that is sliced into strips to get the same action...Great bait for almost any fish... I add the squid strips to bucktails and the tail hooks on plugs... Great substitute for pork rind...

I have had great success with the split tail jig strips....they are my go-to trailer.  Not sure how you tested them...but here is a video of the various sizes/styles in action.   I noticed no decline in fish/hits when I switched over from pork several years ago.

Edited by jesgord

50 mins ago, jesgord said:

I have had great success with the split tail jig strips....they are my go-to trailer.  Not sure how you tested them...but here is a video of the various sizes/styles in action.   I noticed no decline in fish/hits when I switched over from pork several years ago.

I second what Jessie’s has to say. I use them pretty much exclusively now. I still have some jars uncle josh but bother with them any more. 

I agree with Roddy, I have always used Got-Cha 6” curly tail grubs and found them to be a good alternative since UJ stopped production. They come in a good variety of colors and have great action. I have used the FatCow strips and found them to be decent. One thing that can help the split tail strips, is to take a razor blade or sharp scissors and cut the “split” up another 1/4 - 1/2 inch and create a little more action to the tails. Not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. Just an idea.

3 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

I have substituted squids that is sliced into strips to get the same action...Great bait for almost any fish... I add the squid strips to bucktails and the tail hooks on plugs... Great substitute for pork rind...

Been doing this last few years with squid.   I buy biggest ones I can get and cut to the shape I want. Some straight some with curves some split tail.  Then i pack in kosher salt and a little curing salt.  Don't know if the curing salt makes much difference but I always have some around so why not.  Can be dyed too.    Oh....and cheap !!!!

Edited by Stryper Snyper
Post needed more words cuz it weren't long enuff.....

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

I agree with Roddy, I have always used Got-Cha 6” curly tail grubs and found them to be a good alternative since UJ stopped production. They come in a good variety of colors and have great action. I have used the FatCow strips and found them to be decent. One thing that can help the split tail strips, is to take a razor blade or sharp scissors and cut the “split” up another 1/4 - 1/2 inch and create a little more action to the tails. Not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. Just an idea.

Good tip I’ll give that a try 

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Been doing this last few years with squid.   I buy biggest ones I can get and cut to the shape I want. Some straight some with curves some split tail.  Then i pack in kosher salt and a little curing salt.  Don't know if the curing salt makes much difference but I always have some around so why not.  Can be dyed too.    Oh....and cheap !!!!

Talk about cheap. When I go to the supermarket I ask the fish monger if they have old shrimp, old clams or squid that they are going to dispose of and I tell them that I can use it as fishing bait and purchase it very cheap..

1 hour ago, Stryper Snyper said:

This is what I always used to do. But it was a mess. How do they cure and do they have the same action afterwards? Luckily I'm not going to run out of uncle Josh anytime but there is one other alternative and I forgot the name I'll have to check when I get home but they are like 10 dollars for a jar of 6 it's ridiculous