The Riddler

Inspecting Gear for the coming season

8 posts in this topic

Just washing a Kokatat PFD sold to me by Slappy at a fishing show.   I paid 130 bucks on a sale. Going into its 5th year of use.  This is the longest I have kept a PFD. Surprisingly the zippers are still intact and most importantly, no rips or abrasions on the flotation. You get what you pay for.  

The dry suit is good, My two piece system is good , all tops are good just  in the market for another Farmer john. 

Anyone else buying anything?

1AC36C21-D1BA-4190-8461-C7119378E62E.jpeg

0905EAEC-D751-44F4-A5A7-D6C87F2847F4.jpeg

There some good deals around. I found discontinued Kokatat Tempest Dry Pants and Tempest Top for a cheap 125 bucks brand new. Craigs and FB market place seem to have some good deals right now.

For Hobie owners, its a good idea to inspect your cables, and replace idler cables and chain assemblies that are showing signs of rust. 

Check hatch gaskets, lube with silicon or replace. 

Check Steering control, rudder stow handle and all cables.

All safety equip, esp cold weather gear.

Around now I chapstick or wax all zippers on garments/bags, and run them up and down. I also throw a few stitches on any sketchy seams. I check the spool engagement on all revolving spool reels, they usually are stuck on day one. I iron out any deep gouges on my three hulls, and check all fasteners, lines, drain plugs, etc.

On the Hobie v2 drive I check and tighten up the 3 cables as per Hobie. I also put a dollop of grease on the 6 exposed cable areas at the swages.

This Citica was a fail the other day, it was rode hard and put away wet. It’s ready to go now.

C7C34D59-EF4F-4E35-B5EE-0A41E64E1C29.jpeg