abaus3

First Saltwater Rod - 8wt or 9wt?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

One thought on rod choice that was recently being reviewed by a shop employee while I was picking out tying materials. Consider the warranty but also the service. If you break a TFO they have one of the fastest turnaround times of all the manufacturers. Location can impact this too. If you live on the East coast but have to ship your rod to WA then you add a few days going and coming. This may never be a factor but I know people who break rods regularly and this is a factor down the road.

I've read a lot of good things regarding the TFO BVK or Mangrove. a 9wt mangrove seems like it will suit me well

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, gman1253 said:

Echo's are nice as well with a great warranty. The 3 S is great though about $350 new, I picked 2 8wts up in the auction site for $200 each new.  The Ion XL I have not tried but Killie has - may check with him on his thoughts.

I already weighed in on another thread about 7wts.  The Echo Ion XL in 7wt is possibly one of the best buys out there for a generalist rod for short money, maybe tied with the TFO Professional II 7wt (but the Ion XL has more grunt).  Above 8wt the Echo Ions get a bit heavy.   In 9wt if its going to be a similar generalist tool (not primarily a distance casting rod), my recommendation would be to look into the Redington Predator, or the TFO Axiom II.  These are I think in the $300 or less price range and the warranties of both companies are solid.  The two rods mentioned are very tough 9w rods (lots of fish fighting power, fight above their rating), that would be easily able to upline to a 10wt floater or even a 400g sinking line.  The Colton Tradewinds XS rods and TFO Mangrove are also in that same price category and should be looked at. The TFO Mangrove has lots of fans.  The newer Orvis Clearwater rods are said to be much improved and could be another best buy.   Echo3 rods are I think being discontinued so the prices may drop down to around $300 or less.  the end, it will be a very personal choice based on what feels right...

Used rods are plentiful on the big auction site.  There are lots of great 9wt rods to choose from.  Some of the older Scott (S4S, Heliply) and Redington rods (CPS, older Predator series, RS-4) are reasonably priced (under $200, except maybe the Scotts) and as such great buys if they can be found in good to perfect condition.  Older Sage model rods like the Z axis, Xi2/Xi3 and RPLX 9wts are nearly equal*** to many of today's best rods, as are many older Loomis rods (IMX, GLX), or older LL Bean rods (Orion, early Double L) that were I think made by Loomis.   I am mentioning some of the older rods where the original warranty is generally still respected by the manufacturers or seller, although some may require original proof of purchase.

Edited by Killiefish
*** in my opinion also adjusted price info

7 hours ago, gman1253 said:

there's always Colton Tradewinds XL as well... 

Just bought the 9 wt.  Paired it with his Terrapin 1012 reel.  Cant wait to get it wet.  0106191944.jpg.f55d126b2911fd3bdeb55e9613665786.jpg

22 mins ago, On The Rocks said:

Just bought the 9 wt.  Paired it with his Terrapin 1012 reel.  Cant wait to get it wet.  0106191944.jpg.f55d126b2911fd3bdeb55e9613665786.jpg

Yes... very nice indeed.

There is someone who posted a new 9 wt for sale in the sell forum for a price that is well worth snatching it up.  Forget the 8 vs 9.  Buy the 9 that is posted to get you going.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice snooks,bonefish d. 

Killifish you are spot on regarding certain older rods. They might be heavier, but they are no  better than the new stuff being offered and also the older (upper scale) rods could take a hit from a clouser and survive. Rods today are too fragile IMHO.

Sage 1998 RPLX brand new 3 section rod 6 wt and up, the cost was $394.19 , today on the online market places the same rods in many cases , unused and NIB condition command on the low end $250.00 and on the high end $325.00.  Go figure this!

Regards,

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician