Aaron Barmmer

Best braid for cow bass in Boulder fields

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, Aaron Barmmer said:

I would like to hear what guys like to use when targeting cow bass in boulder fields. I have lost many BIG bass in the rocks using 50lb power pro with 10ft long floro leaders..... 

10 foot leader????

24 mins ago, Stuckatthebank said:

10 foot leader????

Yes.  I tie a FG knot that can cast right threw the guides with ease.  Figured the longer the leader the more abrasion resistance in the rocks 

I use 65 lb red power pro, 10ft 6  Blackhole Cape Cod Nanao and a Penn slammer 3 5500, 2 to 3 ft leader of 80lb clear Ande mono.  Fish with drag set at about 3/4 . I live on the north fork, we have nothing but boulders.

50lb power pro orginal and long 80lb  ande leaders were used alot in Montauk over the years. Not all boulder fields are equal but Montauk is a pretty rough area with regard to rocks. As with everything there is a trade off. I would feel better with 65lb braid and I’d feel  invincible with 80 but can I get my offering where it needs to be with such heavy lines?? I’m not so sure. 

2 hours ago, capecod said:

Ive seen this kid fish in person down at the canal, he has no freaking clue what he’s doing. 

25th post and your already ripping some guy apart online , that's weak . That's not how this site works , we help each other here . The guy is looking for some advice like a gentleman and you torch him . Get lost .

4 mins ago, giant basshole said:

25th post and your already ripping some guy apart online , that's weak . That's not how this site works , we help each other here . The guy is looking for some advice like a gentleman and you torch him . Get lost .

I 100% appreciate the back up! You the man.  This is my actualy demented twin brother trolling me.  He’s a real PRICK! Sorry for the mix up man 

Don’t know where OP is fishing but a good tip I picked up for Montauk is loosing your drag if a big fish runs and wraps you around a rock. Hopefully the line will slide over the rock and it won’t break you off. I don’t care how heavy your braid is, if you hook a hook a trophey bass you ain’t horsing him in on the initial run. 

But for an initial hook set I like a tight drag where that hook is getting buried in the fishes jaw. For big fish, setting the hook more than once gives me some more confidence knowing that hook isn’t popping out. I lost, without a doubt, the biggest of my life  on a late night tide in montauk from not setting the hook more than once. Hook popped out on the initial run towards a massive boulder 50 yards out. A few casts later another fish broke me off and took my BM eel skin needle on that same boulder. A few casts after that my buddy was weighing his 1st 40#. 

Each situation is always different but lose enough big fish and you’ll hopefully get an idea.