Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost

Avon/Hatteras in spring

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I have always concentrate on fishing the fall Oct-Nov  but this year we are planning a mid-April trip. What can I expect for surf action at that time of year? 

Watch the weather and water temps, they can and will flucuate that time of year.  If the water stays in the 60-65 degree range, you'll have blowtoads, bluefish, seamullet, spot, and Drum.

In our experience April can also have lots of sharks- sand tigers, sandbar sharks, that size.  You can't carry them home to eat, but they sure provide some excitement for awhile.  Drum can be there depending on weather/water (sort of hit and miss) and there are always skates, the occasional sea mullet or blue.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Avon/Hatteras -- We're not in Kansas any more. ;)

In May the water temps are 70 degrees. This is a bath tub.

April it's cooler. In my humble opinion for May. If you're

looking to target drum. I would put my efforts some where

around Corolla in the outer banks. If you decide to fish

where you are, be well prepared for freight train sharks!

GOOD LUCK ! !

Edited by SandSpike1

Ghost, I can't remember when the beaches in front of the villages are closed to ORVs.  It seems like it might be mid-April, but you can look at the seashore's website and find out.  I know that we stayed in Avon the first week of April two years ago and could legally drive in front of the house we rented. 

Thanks I will check the website. I am starting to pick the rods I am bring and I am leaning towards the heavier conventional stuff.

I enjoy casting the lite stuff for flounder but I think I will be too early for that type of fishing. 

Smaller stuff being caught a few miles south as I type, flounder, blues, black drum. Some bigger red drum in the mix also...

Thanks Byron, it sounds like it all depends weather and water temperature. I have made the trip to Avon once before in the spring and it was several years ago. According to my fishing log windy conditions messed up that trip, making fishing almost impossible.

Hope this year works out better, I think this past winter was colder and wetter than usual. 

To close the loop on the driving subject:  the beaches in front of the villages are open for driving through the 14th, the beaches are open for night driving through May 1st.  Generally, you don't have to worry about much in the way of seasonal closures because of birds in April so you should be able to get down the point.

I arrive this Friday for two weeks any last minute knowledge you guys can offer. How is the weather looking and the fishing this spring.

Thanks, see you soon

13 hours ago, ghost said:

I arrive this Friday for two weeks any last minute knowledge you guys can offer. How is the weather looking and the fishing this spring.

Thanks, see you soon

The weather is a crap shoot. Nobody can tell ya how the weather is going to be. With that being said, the fishing this time of year is very weather dependent. The sw blows should bring in the warmer currents which in turn will turn the fishing on. The fishing overall has been gradually improving everyday. Since you will be down for 2 weeks you should ask around and be able to get into some decent fishing. I will be following you on the 12th and staying till the 22nd. But I will be staying in Ocracoke. Best of luck to ya:hooked: 

Go to Frank and Frans your first day there.  Ask for advice of what your best bet is.  They have a great staff that will get you on fish.  Their job is not to sell you the store on your first trip, but to get you back a few times in that 2 week span and the next time there.  Avoid Walmart and whatever on your way down, and give them your business.  Well worth the 10% more or whatever their prices are, for the knowledge they share.  If planning to fish south of there a bit more, then do the same with Red Drum Tackle.  Check out both of their fishing reports.  Same with the pier on buying specific lures.  They will usually be able to tell you what the hot lure has been, and a shop filled with other tackle.  If you already have, then buy some drinks, snacks or t-shirts.  $10-$20 here and there for their knowledge, will make them happy and you happy.

If planning a trip to the Point.  Do a search on this site of the spot, especially on the etiquette of that spot.  Don't plan to go to the actual Point itself, and join in the conga line, with braid on your rod.   It is highly frowned upon.  If you position yourself a good distance away from that spot, with good distance between you and others, then I am sure braid is fine (if that happens to be what you have on your reels).  If OBX is the only salt water fishing that you do, then probably consider using mono if you are purchasing line.  That area is a washing machine like current, and lines will tangle if joining in the elbow to elbow crowds that gather there when fishing is good.

Porktown thanks. I am very familiar with the area, I spend several weeks each fall in Avon or Hatteras and have been doing so for at least the last ten years. This will be my second time for a spring visit and I have never been down as early the beginning of April. During my last spring visit a few years ago the winds were heavy and constant day after day making fishing very difficult. I was wondering if that kind of a windy spring is normal?

I normally fish the south shore of LI out to Montauk and it is all braid but I have some rigs with mono for the NC fishing. I tend to go with the flow.