bob_G

Birds of spring

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Took a trip down the taunton river today from taunton to fall river. I saw an osprey in its nest and a bald eagle hovering way above me. Tried to get pictures but failed miserably.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saw one of these today while riding over the back of Moose Hill in Sharon:

Woodpeker.jpg.363b698fb48d9b32c00f4b64c3ba529b.jpg

Was pretty cool, not more than ten feet from my driver side widow on an old dead roadside tree. Pretty large bird, bigger than maybe even a Bluejay.

Edited by Steve in Mass

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Was pretty cool, not more than ten feet from my driver side widow on an old dead roadside tree. Pretty large bird, bigger than maybe even a Bluejay.

Pileated woodpeckers were once a rare sight anywhere in the state. Rarely east of Quabbin, if at all. I see them all the time while huting turkey these days. Really impressive bird, almost the size of a crow. 

It's a good morning to be on the lookout for new spring arrivals.

For the people who watch these things......the radar was clogged with birds heading north last night.

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

It's a good morning to be on the lookout for new spring arrivals.

For the people who watch these things......the radar was clogged with birds heading north last night.

Bunch of new arrived warblers pics in the birder groups.

FWIW, that sustained S- SW wind that blows the bird migrants in also blows the first wave of schoolies into Nrw England. 

One of the things that attracts me to spring tom hunting isn't matching wits with the turkeys.  But rather the variety of birds I see in west central Ma that I don't see on the Cape. Its amazing what a difference a 150 miles can make.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

One of the things that attracts me to spring tom hunting isn't matching wits with the turkeys.  But rather the variety of birds I see in west central Ma that I don't see on the Cape. Its amazing what a difference a 150 miles can make.

You can match your wits with all of the toms I have every day in my yard , at times I may have 10 or 12 strutting around with the hens. I counted over 40 in a flock  the other day . One of my favorite birds to see during the year and they never fail to please

On 4/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Looking at the feet and claws, you'd think you were looking at a raptor.

A few years ago I was pre season scouting turkey near Quabbin. Late in the day, i decided to look over one more area.  After walkibg and calling for about 45 min, sat on a log for a rest. Out of nowhere a female pileated lands on the ground a mere few feet from me. Then, 2 magnificent males land a few feet from the  hen and begin to fight over her. Tumbling and rolling on the ground. Each trying to impale the other with their sharp beak. I'm in full camo so they can't see me. All this is going on under 10' from me, and my camera was in the car. Finally one bird had enough, and broke off to fight another day. The victor went over and sat next to his girlfriend.

14 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Good numbers of Purple Finch around our area today.

And the Kinglets have arrived, this one is a Ruby Crowned.

5cb54377bc44a_pfinch.jpg.955a7b083f3a2982353258cd83edd94a.jpg5cb54380eda18_rckinglet.jpg.e2dcef34d5e9fc2fc936c100a7fff1f2.jpg

Again, the amazing number of birds you guys get in that part of the state that we never see on the cape. Never seen a kinglet here.

The woodcock must have arrived by now, no?

15 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Good numbers of Purple Finch around our area today.

And the Kinglets have arrived, this one is a Ruby Crowned.

5cb54377bc44a_pfinch.jpg.955a7b083f3a2982353258cd83edd94a.jpg5cb54380eda18_rckinglet.jpg.e2dcef34d5e9fc2fc936c100a7fff1f2.jpg

Beautiful!

Funny sad story about ruby crowned kinglets;

When I was a kid, I had an old BB gun that was sighted in sharp enough to hunt tweety birds in the brush. I was hell on sparrows and starlings with my ole man's blessing but he had no clue how bloodthirsty I was. Any bird was fair game so long as it wasn't at a feeder.

Then one day with a particular tricky shot I brought down a tiny unfamiliar bird.

But when I held that beautiful little kinglet in my hand, my pride in the shot was squelched by sadness for killing it.

So ended my tweety hunting career.

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Again, the amazing number of birds you guys get in that part of the state that we never see on the cape. Never seen a kinglet here.

The woodcock must have arrived by now, no?

We saw our first one on 3/20 they are thick now.

I see on e-bird, someone posted a picture of one taken at the Scusset fish pier, standing in the snow, on 3/2.

That's pretty early.