bob_G

Birds of spring

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, Deep Hole said:

Now that is a serious start to Spring...

Blackbirds, ospreys, peepers and herring are the serious signs of spring

I'll be starting to look for early herring sometime next week. The time would normally be now if it weren't for this 2-3 day cold snap. 

45 mins ago, rst3 said:

1st Osprey was reported today on the Cape. 

Osprey2.jpg.1db07d6d027e18c5bb9a36de1c3963ed.jpg

Good to have these guys back. 

No, sorry.. .that's a picture of my wife at the clearance sale at Macys.    Ospreys don't have talons like that or that crazy look in their eye.

Here's a bird report from upstate NY.  While ice fishing Lake George today in the Bolton Landing area I heard the distinct call of a whippoorwill!  They are becoming scarce in our area and I've never heard one in the day or during this time of year.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:30 PM, buz23 said:

Here's a bird report from upstate NY.  While ice fishing Lake George today in the Bolton Landing area I heard the distinct call of a whippoorwill!  They are becoming scarce in our area and I've never heard one in the day or during this time of year.

If you here something like that , you should record it on your phone if at all  possible.

Reason below.

23 hours ago, rst3 said:

Ive never even heard a whippoorwill in daytime, much less in mid March. That's an amazing report. 

The best I can tell, if confirmed,  It would be the most Northern Whippoorwill ever reported in the US. on or before March 14...... ever.

Id also report it to the local audubon society or state wildlife officials. Theyd probably be pretty interested.

I will note that a bird song heard in Bourne that I swore was a whippoorwill turned out to be a screech owl. This was mid to late summer.

Something different some might not have heard of.

The goose in the middle that looks like a miniature Canada Goose is actually a different species called a Cackling Goose.

Notice how small it is, really about Black Duck size. The second pic shows the different head shape and small bill.

This one's a Richardson's Cackling Goose,

Fairly unusual around here,

Cack1.jpg.4d68cc53d20c785cd33ed9c1d387d23d.jpgcack2.jpg.626fbdf8750c34fb4f87c8267413dfc2.jpg