bob_G

Birds of spring

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

Justsaw big flock of robins yesterday for first time this year. I am in midlands of SC. woulda thought I would see them well before u guys in frozen north 

Had this in my back yard the other day. 

Couldn't get close and the picture's bad. Didn't get a good look when it flew off.  Bald Eagle?

20190120_090521.jpg

17 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Had this in my back yard the other day. 

Couldn't get close and the picture's bad. Didn't get a good look when it flew off.  Bald Eagle?

20190120_090521.jpg

Not nearly big enough to be an eagle.

People all over town are getting evening grosbeaks and cedar waxwings at their feeders. I never get these birds. Am I doing something wrong, or do these birds not normally frequent feeders?

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

People all over town are getting evening grosbeaks and cedar waxwings at their feeders. I never get these birds. Am I doing something wrong, or do these birds not normally frequent feeders?

The Evening Grosbeaks readily come to feeders, just isn't that many of them around.

This is one of the best years in a long time for them......but still pretty unusual to see them.

Never had a Cedar Waxwing at our feeder that I can remember. See them on crab apple and berry bushes of some sort mostly.

They love bugs too, the birds you see zipping around over a summer river late in the day are often Cedars.

13 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

The Evening Grosbeaks readily come to feeders, just isn't that many of them around.

This is one of the best years in a long time for them......but still pretty unusual to see them.

Never had a Cedar Waxwing at our feeder that I can remember. See them on crab apple and berry bushes of some sort mostly.

They love bugs too, the birds you see zipping around over a summer river late in the day are often Cedars.

People on Bourne fb are posting photos of both. In 40 years I've seen waxwings once in my yard. 

However, i now have Tomzilla living in my yard and making a pest of himself. Without a doubt, the biggest bird I've ever seen. His once magnificent beard is down to a few strands. However his spurs tell another story. Easily 1.75". He been living in my hood for years.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Grosbeaks go for straight sunflower seed almost exclusively and generally like to take it from a platform style or large perch type feeder.

Once you do get them they will generally hang in the neighborhood if the seed is consistent and they are not migrating elsewhere.

Waxwings will only stop if you feed with berries. Best way to get them is to have small berry fruiting trees and shrubs.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 0:27 PM, Steel Pulse said:

Haha we may have seen same one. 

Around 11 ish.We missed the big backup from the car fire.

Also ill often hear the cedars before i see them. They have a very high pitched call, like  a constant whistle or buzzing. Almost always in a big group, rarely see any solitarys. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:07 AM, bdowning said:

Also ill often hear the cedars before i see them. They have a very high pitched call, like  a constant whistle or buzzing. Almost always in a big group, rarely see any solitarys. 

:th: 

Doing what they do...... ( wife's pic )

5c72af6e1f918_Cedarcrab.jpg.d4c6a8898e27ad6bd0afaec4bf639847.jpg

Had four bluebirds here in southeastern Pa this morning. 

I usually don't see them hanging around the feeder but today they were.

I get them in my boxes, cool tk.see them this morning.

20190224_091526.jpg