Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Birds of spring

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Out my window, on the front lawn. 3 dozen robins. Several spashing in the puddle in my driveway, half dozen in the trees, the rest chasing each other and scratching the leaves for food.

5 minutes later the first red winged blackbird is under my feeder. 

Went out ice fishing this week and had turkeys gobbling on the roost both mornings when walking onto the ice. Ice fishing and gobbling turkeys at the same time are not the norm for me. They went silent as soon as they hit the ground. Got me thinking about turkey season.

1 hour ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Went out ice fishing this week and had turkeys gobbling on the roost both mornings when walking onto the ice. Ice fishing and gobbling turkeys at the same time are not the norm for me. They went silent as soon as they hit the ground. Got me thinking about turkey season.

saw some of the neighborhood toms strutting in one of the yards recently on my way to work...think it only takes a clear sunrise to get the toms started...the hens of course couldn't care less this time of year...

I have a real old tom hanging around my home. Only a few strands of his once impressive beard remain. The rest of the beard is gone. But I got a good look at his spurs the other day when he was under the feeder, and they were well over 1"  Yestersay morning he woke up up with his gobbling. I never get tired of hearing that.

Robins been wintering here for years. They move around from crabapple tree to winter berries. Sometimes they join cedarwax wings and blue birds. They love snowy days. A flock of robins in a crabapple tree after a fresh snow is a beautiful thing.

Last winter in the evenings I would watch hundreds if not thousands of robins fly in from all directions to roost.

I have not seen that at all this year.

I think the mild winter kept most further north.

Most winters up here in central mass we get sporadic flocks of robins. It helps that we have crabapple trees. Cedar waxwings are also common up here in winter. 

And pileated woodpeckers have become much more common in winter. I only run into them in the woods while trail walking but they are there. I dont remember nearly as many even 10 yrs ago, except in apr and may during nesting season. 

6 hours ago, bdowning said:

Most winters up here in central mass we get sporadic flocks of robins. It helps that we have crabapple trees. Cedar waxwings are also common up here in winter. 

And pileated woodpeckers have become much more common in winter. I only run into them in the woods while trail walking but they are there. I dont remember nearly as many even 10 yrs ago, except in apr and may during nesting season. 

Pileated as well as the other woodpeckers, bluebirds, owls, dozens of small cavity nesters and flying squirrels to name several, all have increased since beaver came back.

All that standing dead wood is low income housing for wildlife.