scooleen74

Recommend 7wt reel for SMB LMB Pike

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Building out the recon 7 i got for xmas, purchased Airflo Streamer Max for this setup.  Looking for a reel , dont want to spend too much as I rarely if ever put most of the fish i hook up here on drag, only exceptions have been a catfish 1x and one exceptional smb in current.

7 seems to be an in between size.

I like the Lamson reels, have a few cheapos that have taken a beating, I have seen the Behemoth around but wonder if thats too big.

Thanks in advace for anyone commenting.

What's your budget?  Orvis Clearwater reels look decent and are cheap, but I haven't used one so I can't comment on durability.  Ross Cimarron 2's are on closeout most places and can be had for $ 150...I picked one up for my 8wt. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish Redington Behemoths (original models) from Salmon/Steelhead/Pike to Striper/Albie/Mahi and have had no issues with drag function on any fish in any weather/temperature.  Switch, spey and single. The finish gets beat even with care and they are not lightweight, but I don't believe they get the credit they deserve.

Also Sage, Redington and Rio are all under Far Bank Enterprises, so the customer service is all the exact same company.

Edited by drunkenwanderer
Missing information.

Behemoth is a great deal for a freshwater, low-tier reel.  Great drag in the higher settings (some startup inertia low), and can take a beating.  And 130 bucks.  

you can buy a used orvis battenkill disc 7/8 for $100 or maybe less.  I have a few and they work great.  I find the drag fine, but really never use it as I fish primarily for smallmouth.  I think you will rarely use the drag and virtually any drag with a bit of palming will work.

You don't need anything fancy for LMB/SMB or pike.  Just a reel big enough to hold the line you want to use and 50 -100yrds of backing.  Redington Rise, any Lamson reel, Battenkills, anything really. Find something you like used or new and go for it!

qecfly has the answer!  don't overthink it.  just get something for less than a hundy that you like the looks of or looks good with your rod of choice.

The older Pflueger Medalists that were "Made in USA" are light and a proven design and half the price (or less). Make sure you get one with a metal drag plate and keep it clean and lubed and you'll be all set. A 1495 or 1495-1/2 (with a wider spool) should do the trick. If you want faster pick-up like the modern wide-arbor reels try a 1496. There's also 1496-1/2 and a 1498 but these would probably be overkill on a 7wt.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a pfleuger I liked the price and seems like an older battenkill that I had thanks everyone

On 2/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, stormy monday said:

For my 7 wt LMB rod I use the trusty old Medalist. Got the new version of it and it does me well. Nice in a retro way too...

that's all you need and still overkill since you'll almost never get them to the reel and the species in question never run,you won't even need backing!