rst3

Holdovers

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

In the 60s and early 70s Ma F&W used to drive the back trails on Sandy Neck and stock pheasant the entire length. Hunting among the dunes behind a pointing dog was an amazing experience.

My uncle back in the 50s,60s,&70s worked for and lived on the State game farm raising the pheasants in Ayer.As a kid going there at Thanksgiving was the coolest place in the world for me.It was a yearly tradition until my grandmother passed away in the late 60s.The other place was my aunts on Great Herring pond next to the boys camp on the west side.

8 hours ago, theshadow said:

My uncle back in the 50s,60s,&70s worked for and lived on the State game farm raising the pheasants in Ayer.As a kid going there at Thanksgiving was the coolest place in the world for me.It was a yearly tradition until my grandmother passed away in the late 60s.The other place was my aunts on Great Herring pond next to the boys camp on the west side.

I bet you know Gary Zimma:howdy:

On 2/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, theshadow said:

Another adventure ruined.When they built that "road" it brought tears to my eyes.

What is the “road” you are referring too?

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, z-man said:

What is the “road” you are referring too?

The trail that wound through the backsides of the dunes.Along the marsh and lowlands.Then,access trails through the dunes in multiple[5 I believe] locations to access the beach.Also,we could drive and camp[self-contained] right at the point& drop your trailered boat in on the inside.Another area was what was called LittleNeck.That was a spit that stuck out to the east prior to hugging the shore and around the clam flat to the Point.It was awesome being able to dig steamers & razors and walk back to the camper to steam them up.We used the broken clams and razors as bait for bass and big fluke right there where we dropped the boat to the lighthouse.We always respected the "village" properties and would drop off steamers to a couple of the older folks camps that didn't rake.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, Angler #1 said:

I bet you know Gary Zimma:howdy:

That's a name I haven't heard in some time. If it's the same Gary "the waterfowler" I know, we shot a lot of geese back 30 years ago. Wow, he's old!

17 mins ago, Ditch Dog said:

That's a name I haven't heard in some time. If it's the same Gary "the waterfowler" I know, we shot a lot of geese back 30 years ago. Wow, he's old!

Old is relevant my friend . He is still younger then myself . He also worked in the hatchery up in the west part of the sate as did his brother at one time if the same Gary Zimma

Just got back from a month in Florida fishing every day....now not fishing kills me, got into some holdover action on Friday not bad some mid 20 inch fish, still fun...lets hope the ice doesn't come back with the cold temps this coming week 

IMG_1344.jpg

2 hours ago, Joppa said:

Just got back from a month in Florida fishing every day....now not fishing kills me, got into some holdover action on Friday not bad some mid 20 inch fish, still fun...lets hope the ice doesn't come back with the cold temps this coming week 

IMG_1344.jpg

Joppa, Plum Island Surfcasters should have you as a speaker at their fishing show.  You killed it in 2018 and now you are it again in 2019 and it's only mid-February.  

1 hour ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Joppa

haha I don't know about that, but appreciate the kind words.....looking forward to the 2019 season, won't be long now fingers crossed for a warm spring! 

On 2/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, theshadow said:

The trail that wound through the backsides of the dunes.Along the marsh and lowlands.Then,access trails through the dunes in multiple[5 I believe] locations to access the beach.Also,we could drive and camp[self-contained] right at the point& drop your trailered boat in on the inside.Another area was what was called LittleNeck.That was a spit that stuck out to the east prior to hugging the shore and around the clam flat to the Point.It was awesome being able to dig steamers & razors and walk back to the camper to steam them up.We used the broken clams and razors as bait for bass and big fluke right there where we dropped the boat to the lighthouse.We always respected the "village" properties and would drop off steamers to a couple of the older folks camps that didn't rake.

Those were good days. It should still be that way. There is no REAL reason for it not to be. We need to take back what belongs to us. That is our land !