rst3

Holdovers

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Anyone get into any this yr?

Ive had a bastard of a time.

Finally broke my 2 month skunk last night as I got onto a school. But they were indeedthere, even in February with the water temp in mid 30s, one day or so after ice out. 

ezgif-3-0766029c2f4c.gif.b40862ac49d9a4f5551f3dda6e828b3f.gif

Sat on it/followed it for 4 hrs. Managed 3 legit strikes/landed fish in the icy waters. TBT, quit when my snags topped strikes, as those are honestly.. pretty sickening. But I did raise fish. So I'm happy about that.

Should tie me over for another month til Mid-March, when the water warms and strikes are much easier to come by.

What kind of depths are you catching holdovers in?  And what sort of structure/location, if you don't mind me asking?  I'm not even located in your state, just brainstorming where I should target them in CT/NY.  

There's a spot near me that I've been meaning to try for years but haven't.  

And is holdover fishing done at night mostly because people who see you would think you're crazy?

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

And is holdover fishing done at night mostly because people who see you would think you're crazy?

I think the looks I get are worse at night!

"Get a load of this guy.. with the rod and reel... at 4am--in January!"

I like to fish nights because the fish are bigger and they come into the shallows. Same as regular season.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:50 AM, pogie_boy said:

I look at people not fishing and I think they're crazy...

Back in the days when we were allowed to ride the back trails on Sandy Neck, we used to catch holdovers all winter in the Barnstable marsh. The fish were all small, rarely reaching 5lbs.

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

Back in the days when we were allowed to ride the back trails on Sandy Neck, we used to catch holdovers all winter in the Barnstable marsh. The fish were all small, rarely reaching 5lbs.

Another adventure ruined.When they built that "road" it brought tears to my eyes.

All smalls for me. I was gonna head down to Florida to fish for a week but had to cancel. Full moon showing up down there next week, no bueno for me. 

6 hours ago, theshadow said:

Another adventure ruined.When they built that "road" it brought tears to my eyes.

In the 60s and early 70s Ma F&W used to drive the back trails on Sandy Neck and stock pheasant the entire length. Hunting among the dunes behind a pointing dog was an amazing experience.