stormy monday

Toad Question

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, slip n slide said:

Ted,I understand the concept of tarpon tracking the fly and why the fly is made like it is.My question was about the tiny little eyes and do they even matter? I tie my crab and shrimp w/o eyes as they are so small it would seem to be a superfluous detail.Not having fished for tarpon (yet) I can't confirm whether it matters to them or not but in all the other species I've fished for it doesn't seem to matter at all....esp when you consider there's a big ole hook sticking out the backside that they are disregarding.

Using all the great examples on this thread I just tied some black & purple and some "chatruze". Local shop had no mono eyes and I didn't like my home made ones so I went eyeless. Will get them in from of some juvie tarpon March 20, I'll report back on results. I always put eyes on my flies and yet I can't tell you how many times one eye got knocked off and the fish kept hitting the lopsided fly that resulted. Can't wait to see though!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would have to agree that on many patterns eyes are probably superfluous but on the other hand I'm sure they don't hurt. However as Seadogg mentioned earlier, their purpose on toads may be to provide some additional buoyancy. I've caught fish using flies with and without so......

Spring couldn't come soon enough !

20190305_103242.jpg

Edited by sidelock

The foam ones were used in the movie Location X, made by the same company that produced Andy's Chasing Silver series.  I've fished them and they ride very high.

Crunch, I don't know what they imitate, it's the action more than anything else.  If I had to guess I'd say shrimp but the best color for these toads in most conditions seems to be chartreuse and what in nature is chartreuse color that fish feed on?  Not many fish aside from some fish that live around coral reefs.

Stormy best you get busy, and now for a left handed compliment, we want pictures to compare them to the box of absolute perfection, those Toads are a "Work of Art".

I am now going to do my post of my ragged Betsy's

23 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Stormy best you get busy, and now for a left handed compliment, we want pictures to compare them to the box of absolute perfection, those Toads are a "Work of Art".

Thanks for the compliment Dick but I see them more as a labor of love LOL

3 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

Ah Dick I'm afraid nothing I ever produce will be confused with perfection, my fly box looks remarkably similar to the lint collector in our dryer after the kids come home for semester break. After seeing sidelock's box I'm mortified to open mine, luckily there are some flies in there I got fish on in December so I know some of these Puerto Rican  sabalos have low standards. Last trip I think I brought 20 flies and only used one. This is a shorter trip and I have 100 tied (hey winter in New England) and there isn't a single fly in there that could cohabitate what sidelock tied! 2.5 years to go till retirement and when that happens I'm really going to work on my tying. 

Edited by stormy monday

I think a lot of the effort and thought we put into fly tying has more to do with self satisfaction and gratification. What they look like is not that important as long as they catch fish. I have a friend who's tying style is totally the opposite of mine, his creations are more utilitarian and less groomed for a lack of better word and they catch just as well.

1 hour ago, sidelock said:

I think a lot of the effort and thought we put into fly tying has more to do with self satisfaction and gratification. What they look like is not that important as long as they catch fish. I have a friend who's tying style is totally the opposite of mine, his creations are more utilitarian and less groomed for a lack of better word and they catch just as well.

Very true! I'm in the less groomed school for most patterns. I think for me I want them to look better than they do because the patterns I tie well inspire more confidence in me. I have a way to go on the Toad, more likely some of my other bunny flies will see more action, but I'll at least make some casts with these. They need a bit more trimming first, but I'll get there eventually;

toad.jpg.c3d4b8d4099f00292672b247f83c1557.jpg

They'll catch I'm sure. With regards to trimming and getting both sides even, I tie my EP fibers a little longer purposely and after they are all tied in, I stroke all the fibers forward and try to get them as close to 90* to the hook shank as possible. I then remove the fly from the vice and place the hook shank with the barb pointing down between my thumb and index finger and push all the fibers up and fold the material  "above" the hook shank so that I'm trimming both sides at the same time close to my thumb and index. This will result in both sides being identical in length and shape and then you can tweak them a little more if required. 

Edited by sidelock

Heading out tomorrow, but hopefully I can post this non-commercial link to a video of tarpon feeding on Isla Vieques. Watching this I totally get why the toad is an effective pattern!

Tutti fruiti got me a little 34" this morning on the first cast, a few casys later got one much bigger that broke me off in the mangroves. Met a local who has seen them up to 90# in these tiny creeks, what a rush! Will get out tomorrow at sunrise, for now rum and coconut water on the balcony with my wife.