stormy monday

Toad Question

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Filling my box for the next DIY tarpon trip in March, I'm happy with a lot of what I have, since they've already caught tarpon on them, but I'm trying to add some tarpon toads based on reputation. As always what I have on my bench is what I use, so for tonight it's tutti fruity tarpon toads. Anyways - how big or small is the trimmed part supposed to be? Here are 2 I have, are either close? The eyes are bead chain, I'll buy some plastic tomorrow at lunch, thanks for any advice!

jc

Toad1

toad1.jpg.89c12f239c9637710bcd5830e7f1e569.jpg

Toad2

toad2.jpg.ce0752d28bff96700ec60f288e86348a.jpg

Yes one was taken in the bathroom, the lighting in here is rough lol...

That looks good, but I’d maybe use a little less material on the head. That’ll make it easier to trim after, too. I’d personally trim that head a little bit more. This is one I tied recently. Good luck, man. 

3958B360-76D4-45BA-8D48-F15BCC04C4D2.jpeg

7735FF3D-1B0A-4C9F-A86F-0CA96D04B90F.jpeg

DA04EA59-748E-4D15-BC96-85962D541323.jpeg

17 mins ago, Seadogg said:

That looks good, but I’d maybe use a little less material on the head. That’ll make it easier to trim after, too. I’d personally trim that head a little bit more. This is one I tied recently. Good luck, man. 

Very nice.

Cabo

1 hour ago, acesover said:

Are you going with a guide? If so, let him tell you what will work. If not, at least you tied a nice looking Toad!

No guides where I'm going, but I jumped 10 when I was there in December so I have a good feel for it now. The 3rd and 4th rows from the top of this half have all taken these juvies so far;

tres.jpg.4b7cba98480c7744f7f601180b17b5e1.jpg

With Google maps I scoped out a river mouth nearby, not much info available on it but I found 3 pics on the internet from years ago; a tarpon, a snook and a pretty big jack, so I'm going to try to get to it. No roads in there, but looks like a possible trail that can be a combo of bike and bushwhack. I did this a little in December but post hurricane some spots aren't accessible and others have so much debris you'd never land anything. But that's the adventure part so I tied up some bigger stuff for that;

dos.jpg.be789828fd8f64a03d6cb353b5a8a88e.jpg

Bunny goes over really well with baby tarpon, and has been good for me with jacks. The toads will be a nice addition and maybe a machete. I have more than enough flies but it's winter and I'm bored...

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

That's just what I'm going for thanks! I tied the other one thick to counter the bead chain,hopefully the local shop has plastic so I can tie it proper now...

3 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Im not a fly guy,so,this might be a stupid question.

Anyhow, when you fish this, does it ride hook up,

or hook down? Also,what knot do u use to tie these

on? Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, yosco said:

Im not a fly guy,so,this might be a stupid question.

Anyhow, when you fish this, does it ride hook up,

or hook down? Also,what knot do u use to tie these

on? Thanks

The hook point rides down. Those eyes are monofilament so they have no weight to them.  Basically the fly is super slow sinking so it stays very close to the surface, which is why the rabbit strip is inverted. The idea behind that is to give the tarpon something wiggly to look at from below. From what I understand, the head is designed this way so the fly planes evenly in the water when it’s stripped. The head material is secured with X wraps. I like to trim the hairs “against the grain” so to speak. This prevents accidental over-trimming and allows you to achieve a more rounded profile. The fly is tied on with a loop knot to allow it to move more freely. Because of the heavy bite guard used for tarpon, one of the most effective is the double figure 8. This knot tracks much straighter than any other popular loop knot and is pretty easy to tie. 

Edited by Seadogg

Fly fishing interests me. Ive only caught 3 bluefish on

a friends flyrod. What turned me off the most was

actually fighting the fish. To much crap going on between

loose line,the bucket, kinda felt like I was handlining the

fish. The lack of distance,casting,even by guys that can,bothers

me. I think I am going to try putting effort and investing in a

setup for fresh water fishing. I can wade to pools for small mouths

on the Delaware river near me.  Fishing BFD's Sanibel/Captiva

surf would be ideal . I get there once in a while and am always

surprised I don't see more fly guys. Love that place.

Lots of great info in this forum. Thanks to all u guys.

4 hours ago, donfranklin said:

Need to trim the body WAY down, and thin it out, of the fly will never sink.  I personally ally have never seen a tarpon hot a topwater Fly....

It happens, man. I see what you’re saying about this pattern, but I’ve caught them on gurglers a few times. Even got one on a spook with spinning tackle once. They’ll hit floating stuff for sure. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, titleguy said:

Looks nice.  I have had great success with toads on stripers at the Cape, btw.

Now the secret is out:)