bronson

rod up by rod mounts vs rod loft pro or other?

19 posts in this topic

any reviews on the rod up? prob try to find a used rod loft .......anything I'm not seeing out there for interior rod storage?  2000 4 runner....thx

Rod up looks like it's a little friendlier to rear seat passengers vs the rod loft crossbar that runs from grab handle to grab handle.  Have had the rod loft since 99 on 3 SUV's, love it with front seat passengers only.  Currently on a 2010 4Runner.  Good luck with your search.

I have both the original Rod Loft Deluxe (4 rod inserts) and the more recent Rod Loft Pro (3 inserts for 3 rods).Both have been discontinued and both are perfect for my interior rod storage. I haven't found the rear crossbar position a problem for the rear seat passengers. The rear crossbar is mounted with suction cups to my rear side windows and I put it far enough forward so I can load stuff in the tailgate section w/o it being in the way. The front crossbar can be mounted in several ways with included attachments but I always used the grab bars for mounting. It was positioned right behind the headrest in the Explorers. Same mount with the Rod Loft Pro. I centered the rod inserts on the crossbars so the rods would run down the center of the vehicle and the passengers in the rear seat could sit next to the rods. I used the Rod Loft Deluxe on my Ford Explorers for years and it fits all standard models of 4x4's including the 4Runner. The only reason I bought the Rod Loft Pro was because I needed a longer insert for the rear crossbar for a newer, wider 4x4, which wasn't available in the discontinued Rod Loft Deluxe. If you decide on the original Rod Loft Deluxe, LMK as I'd consider selling it.

Just looked at the RodUp photos on their website. As I learned from selecting the proper installation position of the Rod Loft, the higher up you put the rod holders/bar, the less room you have for long rods because of the angle of the windshield. 

With the Rod Loft installation, if I keep the crossbars pretty low in the vehicle, I can place my 9' flyrods in the inserts and they lean along the dashboard using the greatest length at the bottom of the windshield and practically touch the windshield. 

It looks like with using the RodUp system, the rods are stored at the top of the vehicle, near the roof, which gives much less room considering the angle of the windshield if you have long rods. Just a consideration. 

I would not be able to use the RodUp system for my flyrods.

2 2500 reals on light rods.  2 6500 abu on med rods.  2 6500ll rods on heavier rods.  I know I may b asking a bit much. but at the price......more about organization Than anything

The original Rod Loft Deluxe, IMO, isn't heavy enough to support all the rods/reels you intend to use with it. The 6500 reels are heavy.

The Rod Loft Pro has heavier crossbars and double suction cups on each rear crossbar and you could use two -3 rod inserts with it. I do find, when going over road irregularities or turning a corner quickly, the reels do bump together and flyrods, with their flat reels, sway. Hope this info will help you with your decision.

Ron

Pic of the back of my 4Runner from another thread.  You need to mount the rear hangers on top of the crossbar to prevent heavy rod/reels from falling out.  You can also stagger the rod in the rack so the reels don't bang together. 

DSC04309.JPG

Yes, this is the Rod Loft Pro shown in Darth's truck. 

A question, Darth. I found that when I mounted the rod inserts on top, in the rear, like you do,  I couldn't tighten the heavy duty zip ties enough to keep the inserts up top and not slipping downwards.. Do you find that the inserts stay in place using the ties or do you use something else to stabilize them?

8 mins ago, flysully said:

Yes, this is the Rod Loft Pro shown in Darth's truck. 

A question, Darth. I found that when I mounted the rod inserts on top, in the rear, like you do,  I couldn't tighten the heavy duty zip ties enough to keep the inserts up top and not slipping downwards.. Do you find that the inserts stay in place using the ties or do you use something else to stabilize them?

Grab the end of a zip tie with a pair of pliers and pull while pushing with the tip of a flat screwdriver against the locking part of the tie till they don't click anymore.  Makes them real snug.  Can you envision that?  I have bought new zip ties over the years to replace old ones. 

Thanks, Darth, for the tip using the pliers. I'm sure it will make those ties tighter.

BTW, nice neat setup in your truck.

thx for replies! that u mog is sweet!  still nothing on rod up...I do like how the rod up appears to go between head rest so passenger head space not affected.....