Maxel Hybrid 20

Rate this topic

nfd27

3 hours ago, nfd27 said:

Little update on this. Hit the show in Edison had both the Saltiga 15 and Maxel Hybrid 25 in my hand. Have to say one felt like the best reel I’ve ever touched the other one absolute junk. Got hands on the Saltiga first and was impressed with small size and how smooth it was. Just felt like a well engineered reel. Also liked the spool lock that will come in clutch when I snag something.  I then held a Hybrid. I don’t know what it was but it just felt cheap. My biggest issue was when engaging the push bar for free spool to re engage you really had to crank on the reels handle. I’m used to a smooth Calcutta the Hybrid I borderline felt like something would snap. So I went to another booth to try theirs and same result. The thumb bar was tough to engage from free spool and while reeling felt minor grinding. Made my mind up looks like a Saltiga 15 in my future. 

That's interesting.  I own two HY20's, which I use mostly for fluke/porgy/tog/sea bass, but have pulled up a few smaller bass as well (I tend to fish three way bucktail rigs in heavy currents for bass so the Maxel's out).

The first time I saw it, I figured there was no way that thing would get anywhere near 28 lbs of drag.  It was extremely light, but I didn't get a cheap feel from it.  It turned out to be a great reel, which works out well on some of the lighter rods I use for the smaller fish.  My son stole it so often I bought a second one to use myself.  I did think that having to reel to re-engage was somewhat annoying, as I've been fishing with an Abu Revo that has a switch that lets you go back and forth from 'momentary' to 'on-off' with the release.

I will say I've had that one HY20 for 2 years now, and it has held up well despite getting plenty of use and not much maintenance.  Both reels have been reliable.  But I think any bass significantly higher than schoolie range will probably give the drag a hard time.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:50 AM, Jewjitzu said:

The Terns are very well made but are a serious drop off from the Boss Valiants. I think people were expecting BV’s with a star drag and were disappointed when they found out it just wasn’t as good. The BV’s aren’t the smoothest reels (stainless gears) compared to saltigas and trinis, and the Terns are even rougher than them. I know a few people who either returned or sold them for that reason. But for the price, the build, and durability, they are really not a bad choice. And you can find them on the bay at a good discount. 

Did Accurate resolve the water intrusion issue with the Boss Valiants that was known to seez the reels of the past. 

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Did Accurate resolve the water intrusion issue with the Boss Valiants that was known to seez the reels of the past. 

In honesty I didn’t know of the issue and I haven’t heard of updates made to it. 

In terms of sealing and protection against the elements, it’s no Saltiga. Not even a Saltist. 

And I am happy that it has the two year free service because I have the feeling it will go in a few times. That being said, when it’s in tip top shape, it is a powerful awesome reel. 

@Jewjitzu

I have the 30 narrow 2 speed that are about 8 years old. As you said when there working there great. Caught some nice fish with those reels. But even at the time of purchase in the O&M'S they stated to have the reels in full drag and lightly mist them with fresh water to clean. I whent on a tuna charter ounce and before I knew it the captain was hosing down my tackle for me at the end of the day. A week later I had a seezed up reel...

Lou

Edited by Lou T

10 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

That's interesting.  I own two HY20's, which I use mostly for fluke/porgy/tog/sea bass, but have pulled up a few smaller bass as well (I

2 hours ago, Lou T said:

2 hours ago, Jsnake4 said:

I also have a maxel that I got not long after they came out. For the money I think it’s a good reel. Mostly use it with 20 lb braid for ocean fluke jigging

1 hour ago, Jewjitzu said:

In honesty I didn’t know of the issue and I haven’t heard of updates made to it. 

In terms of sealing and protection against the elements, it’s no Saltiga. Not even a Saltist. 

And I am happy that it has the two year free service because I have the feeling it will go in a few times. That being said, when it’s in tip top shape, it is a powerful awesome reel. 

to fish three way bucktail rigs in heavy currents for bass so the Maxel's out).

The first time I saw it, I figured there was no way that thing would get anywhere near 28 lbs of drag.  It was extremely light, but I didn't get a cheap feel from it.  It turned out to be a great reel, which works out well on some of the lighter rods I use for the smaller fish.  My son stole it so often I bought a second one to use myself.  I did think that having to reel to re-engage was somewhat annoying, as I've been fishing with an Abu Revo that has a switch that lets you go back and forth from 'momentary' to 'on-off' with the release.

I will say I've had that one HY20 for 2 years now, and it has held up well despite getting plenty of use and not much maintenance.  Both reels have been reliable.  But I think any bass significantly higher than schoolie range will probably give the drag a hard time.

I have a Maxell Hybrid 20. I bought here used. Owner said it had a few trips from one season on it. It was is good shape but I had it fully services at a Maxell authorised shop. It's spooled w/ new 325 yds of Maxcutro 30 & a 25lb mono topshot. I can't imagine needing or using more than 10 lbs of drag. 

I plan on using it for jigging deep fluke, seabass, shallow haddock and small school cod (e.g. off the Block and Nantucket w/ jigs from 4 up to 7 or 8 oz max.

I have it paired w/ a Black Hole Challnger Bank 731M.

Do you guys think it has what it takes for those jobs?

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

I have a Maxell Hybrid 20. I bought here used. Owner said it had a few trips from one season on it. It was is good shape but I had it fully services at a Maxell authorised shop. It's spooled w/ new 325 yds of Maxcutro 30 & a 25lb mono topshot. I can't imagine needing or using more than 10 lbs of drag. 

I plan on using it for jigging deep fluke, seabass, shallow haddock and small school cod (e.g. off the Block and Nantucket w/ jigs from 4 up to 7 or 8 oz max.

JD

One of mine is spooled with 20lb Fireline.  I've used it on a heavier rod (a Lami 7040) to diamond jig 8-10 oz in heavy current.  Not ideal conditions, but I had some equipment problems that trip and had no other choice.  I figured it was a recipe for disaster, but we pulled up a few decent sized bluefish that trip without any issues.  Definitely took a bit more work to get them into the boat though.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

JD

It will handle that. I’ve jigged up to 8 with mine on a St Croix mojo jig no prob. I feel the rod is more the X factor. And I feel the same as some, true world drag it has way more than plenty. I think a lot of guys have never actually scaled their drag. When you scale a lever drag with like 12 lbs of drag and hook it to something and actually pull it’s way crazy how much it really is. If you fished 28lbs of drag you are locked down. Lol

12 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

That's interesting.  I own two HY20's, which I use mostly for fluke/porgy/tog/sea bass, but have pulled up a few smaller bass as well (I tend to fish three way bucktail rigs in heavy currents for bass so the Maxel's out).

I fish primarily shimanos and accurate (since they’re leftie friendly) and comparing the Maxel to them it felt like a cheap reel. I did like how small it was and weight but I really thought engaging from free spool either the thumb bar and handle would break. And like I said just giving it a few cranks it felt rough and not smooth like a shimano or accurate. My biggest issue is the amount of negative reviews versus positive. The negatives outweigh the positives by a lot. I’d love a Trinidad but shimano doesn’t make lefty models so I’m going the next best Thing with the Saltiga. 

Its tough with the Maxel price tag when the better Saltiga is $100 more and 10x more reliable. Also I’ll take Japanese made over Chinese any day of the week. Talking to another guy that fished montuak for flounder this past year said he saw either Saltiga or Trinidad’s on the boat. Said there was one Maxel and the guy fishing it had replaced the reel once and broke the nut holding the arm last year. I just can’t justify all the issues with Maxel. Very glad I was able to get both these reels in my hand happy I will be going with the quality proven reel. 

22 mins ago, nfd27 said:

I fish primarily shimanos and accurate (since they’re leftie friendly) and comparing the Maxel to them it felt like a cheap reel. I did like how small it was and weight but I really thought engaging from free spool either the thumb bar and handle would break. And like I said just giving it a few cranks it felt rough and not smooth like a shimano or accurate. My biggest issue is the amount of negative reviews versus positive. The negatives outweigh the positives by a lot. I’d love a Trinidad but shimano doesn’t make lefty models so I’m going the next best Thing with the Saltiga. 

Its tough with the Maxel price tag when the better Saltiga is $100 more and 10x more reliable. Also I’ll take Japanese made over Chinese any day of the week. Talking to another guy that fished montuak for flounder this past year said he saw either Saltiga or Trinidad’s on the boat. Said there was one Maxel and the guy fishing it had replaced the reel once and broke the nut holding the arm last year. I just can’t justify all the issues with Maxel. Very glad I was able to get both these reels in my hand happy I will be going with the quality proven reel. 

The Saltiga's are definitely a quality reel.  The Maxels are a different animal, namely that drag release bar that makes it like a pseudo-baitcaster.  It's also a lot smaller and lighter, so when paired with a lighter rod makes for a very strong light tackle experience.  

The Saltiga's heavier - and sadly not made in Japan.  The one that I have is made in Korea, although I'm sure Daiwa has other factories elsewhere.

I bought it primarily for those species (mostly fluke/seabass/porgy).  With a very light rod, I have a lightweight combo that I can jig with one hand, which comes in handy while I'm out on the boat.

I tighten down the drags on everything before a heavy rinse. Isn’t it true your drag lbs. only needs to be 1/4 of your line pound test.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Having owned a lot of these, I will say that the Saltiga is not the next best thing. It’s far away better than all of them. Including the trini. Including my B.V-300. In build, in protection, and even smoothness. 

And it’s a whopping two ounces more than the Hybrid. Not a huge difference when using an 8 ounce rod. It is made in Korea but you wouldn’t know it until looking. It’s is very much japan’s finest. 

48 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

Having owned a lot of these, I will say that the Saltiga is not the next best thing. It’s far away better than all of them. Including the trini. Including my B.V-300. In build, in protection, and even smoothness. 

And it’s a whopping two ounces more than the Hybrid. Not a huge difference when using an 8 ounce rod. It is made in Korea but you wouldn’t know it until looking. It’s is very much japan’s finest. 

Little confused if you’re saying it’s not the next best thing or is?