Minwax wood hardner

Rate this topic

Punch63

I do epoxy for sealing wood baits, I do use Minwax Wood Hardener for doing casting eggs as I can soak 25 to 30 at a time, fast drying, then just a double dip in minwax polycrylic. I do however do the hardener in my garage due to the fumes. 

"Never make the assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"

Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06

20 hours ago, Punch63 said:

If I do the bake and epoxy, what do I thin down the epoxy with paint thinner ?

Thanks for responding 

If you want a thinner epoxy, I'd recommend systems three. Its harder to work with; though, as long as it is the seal coat and not the final finish issues wont necessarily be a liability. 

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

From what I've read, thinning epoxy will leave micro holes. I doubt, however, these are an issue when primer and paint follow up to plug any water intrusion. My concern would be that I want best adhesion possible, and I know epoxy seeps into and clings to warm clean wood rather well. I don't wanna mess with that by adding ingredients.

I would not add thinner of any sort to epoxy topcoats, I'm afraid of 'lifting' the paint and micro holes

No.. I bake to like 275-300, let stay till good and warm , i stick them in foil cause I use a small toaster oven and don’t want to burn them.. I use etex , mix it up equal part by volume then i let it sit with alil desk light over it to gently warm it , it will thin slightly as warmed , then just smear all over plug and use lil syringe to squeeze it down through all holes .. once alil tackyish just rub all excess off and hang to dry .. I like to check them after an hour and wipe up and excess that drips out from inside .. after 2-3 days they rocks solid and good to go ... get your plug finished sanded before you seal ... 

Thanks Wire, I kinda thought adding poly. Maybe a little overkill. I don't expect my plugs to last forever anyway, if they did, I'd have nothing to do in the off season.

I've been using ERC full 2"×2" real nice wood to work with, makes a heavier pencil, close to 5 oz., than normally made.

Edited by Punch63

2 hours ago, Punch63 said:

Thanks Wire, I kinda thought adding poly. Maybe a little overkill. I don't expect my plugs to last forever anyway, if they did, I'd have nothing to do in the off season.

I've been using ERC full 2"×2" real nice wood to work with, makes a heavier pencil, close to 5 oz., than normally made.

I can’t take credit for it .. I learned it here from sudsy ... it’s a great method.. . it’s not about making a plug that last forever , cause if you actually fish them , they are disposable and one day mostly likely will be gone .. but it’s more for me about having a plug that swims the same from first cast till the end of its day and doesn’t take on water .. sealed and finished with etex properly makes for one tough ass plug in my experiences .. have went hundreds of big blues that would of turned a Gibbs to tooth picks on pencils I’ve finished and they hold up very very well .. just my 2 cents 

16 hours ago, MarineSniper said:

I do epoxy for sealing wood baits, I do use Minwax Wood Hardener for doing casting eggs as I can soak 25 to 30 at a time, fast drying, then just a double dip in minwax polycrylic.

I do however do the hardener in my garage due to the fumes. 

I wouldn't even do that

Outdoors only and stay upwind at all times !!

That is some seriously bad stuff and unless you have a powerful venting system or a detached garage, those fumes are going to find their way somewhere you don't want them to

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962