HugeDinghy

Genealogy companies and criminal investigations

Rate this topic

125 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just got a guy in RI from a distant family member whose dna hit. Murder. No dna on file and no previous criminal record. 

Kinda creeps me out, to be honest. I think we have already passed the point of no return with it, but t feels like a huge governmental overstep. 

What say you? 

Edited by HugeDinghy

It’s a trap. I think there must be a very big loophole with personal information that has allowed them to do this. That being said I like it when bad guys get caught, just don’t like the corporation just giving access to that stuff. I mean, do they have to have a warrant to get it? 

Listened to a podcast the other day about the need for an internet bill of rights. They say they can create within 99% accuracy, your view on anything, based off of what you like and who you are connected with, on social media. Very minority reporty. 

They tell me all the time they have records of my grandfather. But when you hit it , it wants you to join and give them all kinds of info.  They email you every day  pain in the as

don’t  do it 

This is why I'll never do one of those genealogy tests. You never know when you might have to resort to drastic measures. Why give investigators a leg up?

Just now, MikeMc said:

This is why I'll never do one of those genealogy tests. You never know when you might have to resort to drastic measures. Why give investigators a leg up?

point is dipchit, you don't have to. 

My moms adopted so it would be interesting to see what her background is, but I don't want my DNA out there. I worry that health insurance companies might eventually get their hands on it and. Might do something like deny claims due to preexisting conditions.

Its not actually an invasion of privacy, imo. The computer models simply point in a direction. Like analyzing hair left at the scene for identifying characteristics. 

9 mins ago, MikeMc said:

So Will decides that he feels like a viking and gets a DNA test, next thing ya know, I got a 40 y.o. kid from some chick I banged at an REO Speedwagon concert.

1 min ago, Billybob said:

So Will decides that he feels like a viking and gets a DNA test, next thing ya know, I got a 40 y.o. kid from some chick I banged at an REO Speedwagon concert.

If you did the crime,,,,

actually, too late now, but if i left a kid anywhere, i would want to know.

4 mins ago, Billybob said:

Yeah no thanks