oldschool77

Looking for heavy duty lanyard coil for surfcasting pic for attention

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Anybody ever drop your tool down the crevice of a rock pile or jetty and it's jammed inside for good?  Now you are anchored to the rock pile with your 1000lb uncuttable lanyard with the tide rolling in.

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

Anybody ever drop your tool down the crevice of a rock pile or jetty and it's jammed inside for good?  Now you are anchored to the rock pile with your 1000lb uncuttable lanyard with the tide rolling in.

there's a knife for that...

ps - I have seriously considered that. i carry 2 knives, in case i'm tarded and drop one... If I drop the second one - I deserve what  I get.

15 hours ago, hobobob said:

Um, take your belt off? If the tide is coming in so fast that you are in that much danger, you should have been out of there awhile ago.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've made coiled lanyards like these from weedwacker cord and paracord sheathing like mentioned a few times in here.. wrap it around a pencil or a piece of small pipe or whatever and boil it.. after it cools it will hold its shape. Then sheath it with the outside of a piece of paracord.. crimp and shrinkwrap the ends and your good to go.. literally takes 15 minutes including cool down time..

That said I cant stand the coiled lanyards. They constantly tangle up like an old phone cord..

I only use straight lanyards now and they are even easier to make.  For $10 you can buy the material to make dozens of lanyards.. they take about 1 minute each to make and it couldn't be simpler...

20190224_223323.jpg.c7a98aa2ef27f174db4f0cd8a3764090.jpg20190223_155028.jpg.88429190ee55ffcea0718437e7c4f418.jpg20190224_223344.jpg.e47b3c258fcd535d6d19c803e9b1d3ca.jpg

Edited by Beachglass Guru

On 2/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

I've made coiled lanyards like these from weedwacker cord and paracord sheathing like mentioned a few times in here.. wrap it around a pencil or a piece of small pipe or whatever and boil it.. after it cools it will hold its shape. Then sheath it with the outside of a piece of paracord.. crimp and shrinkwrap the ends and your good to go.. literally takes 15 minutes including cool down time..

That said I cant stand the coiled lanyards. They constantly tangle up like an old phone cord..

I only use straight lanyards now and they are even easier to make.  For $10 you can buy the material to make dozens of lanyards.. they take about 1 minute each to make and it couldn't be simpler...

20190224_223323.jpg.c7a98aa2ef27f174db4f0cd8a3764090.jpg20190223_155028.jpg.88429190ee55ffcea0718437e7c4f418.jpg20190224_223344.jpg.e47b3c258fcd535d6d19c803e9b1d3ca.jpg

Hi Beachglass, is that rip/bungee cord?? If so what’s the diameter if you know. I like that idea. Thanks 

8 hours ago, Mark L said:

Hi Beachglass, is that rip/bungee cord?? If so what’s the diameter if you know. I like that idea. Thanks 

Yes, its marine grade bungee.. I get 2mm and 3mm.. 2mm is what you'd want if your just looking to hold pliers and such. I use the 3mm mostly for kayak applications.

And I also used..

2mm Aluminum sleeves and 3:1 dual wall adhesive lined marine grade shrink tube..

3 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Yes, its marine grade bungee.. I get 2mm and 3mm.. 2mm is what you'd want if your just looking to hold pliers and such. I use the 3mm mostly for kayak applications.

And I also used..

2mm Aluminum sleeves and 3:1 dual wall adhesive lined marine grade shrink tube..

Ok thanks for all the info. 

The coiled lines on medical equipment like ultrasound, e-stim units, etc have SS braided wire inside them. You can just buy a machine, throw it away and use cord, about $800.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:05 AM, Beachglass Guru said:

And I also used..

What size is the shrink tube?  And I’m guessing you use 3mm sleeves with the thicker bungee?  Going to use this on the kayak. 

16 mins ago, Jsnake4 said:

What size is the shrink tube?  And I’m guessing you use 3mm sleeves with the thicker bungee?  Going to use this on the kayak. 

Yup.. thicker bungee needs larger sleeves..

Used marine grade 1/4" 3:1 dual wall adhesive lined for the 2mm..

Same but in 3/8" for the 3mm..