Followers 0
NJ Dave

Odd Blackfish question

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:37 AM, Tom T said:

Snaps style :th: 

2018-11-04 09.57.58.jpg

We get them like this on my charter boat often enough (out of Westport, Ma) and I tell people those are "Provincetown Tog". They put their ass over the bait and say "set the hook fella"!

On 2/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, Slacker said:

Spiglet.  The Ocean Explorer and the Norma K3 are both sailing tomorrow.  100-140' of water.

One guy i work with sometimes shows his disdain over the lack of meaningful (or any) input from our customer and calls it "deep sea fishin".  Feb trips on these boats is probably not very different.

21 hours ago, jason colby said:

We get them like this on my charter boat often enough (out of Westport, Ma) and I tell people those are "Provincetown Tog". They put their ass over the bait and say "set the hook fella"!

Hi Jason!

How's the flounder fishing been ip there?

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Hi Jason!

How's the flounder fishing been ip there?

Hi Mike!

The flounder fishing sucked last year in comparison to the past 15 years. The draggers really had their way with the things and since then I've had a couple of meetings with The Department of Marine Fisheries Director, Doctor David Pierce who agreed with me there was an issue and he promised to take measures to try to correct it. What he came up with was shutting down dragging north of Cape Cod and in Cape Cod Bay during the month of April when the flounder are moving from deeper water and into the bays and estuaries. At least it will give the fish a little break even though we all know it is not enough. The state has been exceeding its commercial harvest quota for several years running and any other council would deduct the overage for the next year but for odd reasons, not here.

On the plus side, even though the fishing was slower last year, we still "limited out" over 90% of the time during "prime time" (May 15th to June 30th). This year with the dragger ban in April it should be much better.

JC