Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJ Dave

Odd Blackfish question

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

So, I have been tog fishing for about 10 years. I can hold my own and catch fish.... Oh, I miss plenty of fish as well.

My question is why, can't I catch big fish ?

I'm stuck on an 8 pounder as my best.

A guy can be standing next to me using similiar tackle and bait and would catch several large fish while I chip away at cookie cutter fish.

Is there some type I should be looking for a certain bite I am not feeling ? 

I mainly fish conventional gear and have just started the jigging game which is a whole new learning curve.

Thanks 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not putting your bait on the nose of the big fish. There is no magic, no special bite. Put your time in, fish with MikeY or Snaps and one day your luck will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mickrazz said:

You're not putting your bait on the nose of the big fish. There is no magic, no special bite. Put your time in, fish with MikeY or Snaps and one day your luck will change.

Yea like that time on the MIMI when you pulled 2 - 9lb fish from under my feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NJ Dave said:

So, I have been tog fishing for about 10 years. I can hold my own and catch fish.... Oh, I miss plenty of fish as well.

My question is why, can't I catch big fish ?

I'm stuck on an 8 pounder as my best.

A guy can be standing next to me using similiar tackle and bait and would catch several large fish while I chip away at cookie cutter fish.

Is there some type I should be looking for a certain bite I am not feeling ? 

I mainly fish conventional gear and have just started the jigging game which is a whole new learning curve.

Thanks 

 

1) Cast away from the crowd. 

2) Larger fish, hang back, you may notice, folks around you, swinging, getting small fish, then the bite slows, or stops, thats when a larger fish comes in and says "get the eff out of my way"  cause now the larger fish, are stirred, they come in and give you the bite you been waiting for.

3) Feel  a different bite ?  Something strange not the usual thump ? Swing. 

4) Fish the bite.

 

Confused yet ??

 

I hope these water temps come up before they close TOG, cause Mick we are going south !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try using some larger bait.  There are a few oldtimers who use half of a whole blue claw as bait for around bridges and slay big tog.  You've just got to let them eat for a while.  Obviously, if you don't want to get whole blue claw, just use some larger green or Asian crabs.  Good luck...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The “right bite” is bull****.  I have caught double digit fish that hit like a freight train and double digit fish that hit like a mufflered mouse fart.

 

You get a Tog bite, set the hook.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Slacker said:

The “right bite” is bull****.  I have caught double digit fish that hit like a freight train and double digit fish that hit like a mufflered mouse fart.

 

You get a Tog bite, set the hook.  

You know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Slayer said:

Please explain the mufflered mouse fart bite in greater detail.

You are really gonna need to catch a mouse and experience it first hand.  You can get the mouse muffler on Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice but there is a "touch" I think I am missing. 

I fish with guys that consistently catch big fish. Yea they have more tog time at the rail than me but i do believe there is something I am doing wrong. 

I Let em chew plenty , sometimes too much. I guess that is tog fishing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, mickrazz said:

tap tap tap..scratch..tap tap  THUMP BANG ZOOM POW BOING.....

The deer was coming towards me and bang, bang, BANG!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.