JohnP

Thinking of bottom painting my boat am I crazy?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

i'm a diy boater for the most part.

many years ago removed bottom paint from a 20', said will never do that job again.

3 years ago had my 13's bottom paint mess soda blasted off professionally, pricey ~$400 but worth it.

then i did a gallon (3-4 coats) of epoxy barrier coat, caught the west marine brand on sale. 

for that first season used petit conventional bottom paint, tacky epoxy based. at fall haul out those paints held great. just needed the usual power wash to remove the slime.

then next spring i did 2-3 coats of ez to use petit hydro coat ablative with a super thin roller, holding up really well.

Just one thought; I don't know what states you guys are in but some states (like NY) strictly regulate how toxic materials are applied and disposed of. Bottom paint is a toxic material. Check first, fines can be high.

9 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Just one thought; I don't know what states you guys are in but some states (like NY) strictly regulate how toxic materials are applied and disposed of. Bottom paint is a toxic material. Check first, fines can be high.

I’m in NJ.  Last 2 years I had to listen to my mechanic who painted my boat complain for what seemed like an hour about how the state regulations limit him from being able to use coatings that are toxic and are most effective. He has to use paints that very slowly wear off and remove the beginning of growth with the coating. Says chance of getting caught are slim but the fine can be bad.  I would think most marinas aren’t going to risk using illegal coatings.  Given that, I have been pleased with results over the past 2 years but my boat is used 3 or 4 days per week which also helps to limit aggressive growth.  

1 min ago, JimJ said:

I’m in NJ.  Last 2 years I had to listen to my mechanic who painted my boat complain for what seemed like an hour about how the state regulations limit him from being able to use coatings that are toxic and are most effective. He has to use paints that very slowly wear off and remove the beginning of growth with the coating. Says chance of getting caught are slim but the fine can be bad.  I would think most marinas aren’t going to risk using illegal coatings.  Given that, I have been pleased with results over the past 2 years but my boat is used 3 or 4 days per week which also helps to limit aggressive growth.  

I wasn't really talking abut illegal coatings, I was talking about things like the water from power washing and the dust from sanding. Some states have very strict rules about how that stuff can be disposed. 

FYI I posted pix of the bottom after it came out of the water late November 

here is what it looked like going in

the bottom paint looked good from the previous year no?

46764710-B091-4E21-BFA2-A09CAF7CA885.jpeg

Anyone who sands bottom paint of is a sadist IMO.

For gods sake, rent a powerwasher with a sand attatchment and be a human.  Pretty easy if you insist on DIY

I think BillyBob went this route too

My Hull gets power washed when I pull the boat. Then come spring I apply a coat of Interlux ACT.

Its ablative and there is no reason to sand or scrape.

I just have my girlfriend tape the sides and climb under there to slap a coat on.:)

I wax the hull while she is doing that.

Takes 3 hours on a 25 ft boat

I would look into this route. The only problem is you have to paint the bottom every year because its Ablative and the Power washing takes off some off the loose stuff at the end of the year. The paint is only meant to last one season anyways

This is before and after the 2018 season. 

The boat got the orig bottom paint job in May of 2017

head scratching 

( I got a guy to to this in the spring )

0F3F434F-8808-4BC9-BE69-B7834ACF8DEA.jpeg

BEA80AA3-FD8D-4D43-B6FC-0E2E180252D4.jpeg

On 2/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, makorider said:

funny story about how bad this job does suck....

Think I was 17 or 18.  I'm sitting on the ground with my legs on either side of the trailer tire reaching under the boat to get a hard to reach spot.  Quart of micron on the trailer fender.  ****ing dog comes my, hits the can with his tail or ass, quart of micron in my lap.

Dad was no where to be found, didn't know what to do....do I take mineral spirits to the nads?  Didn't matter, you know how thick that stuff is, by the time I got somewhere to shed clothes without leaving a paint trail to get killed over, damage was done and semi permanent.  Gave a whole new meaning to blue balls. 

Micron?  That cost you a couple of lunches.