JohnP

Thinking of bottom painting my boat am I crazy?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Had the bottom painted 2 years ago. Now it looks like most of the paint is off and I’ve got scraping and sanding to do. Then I’d have to figure out if I’ve sanded enough to apply a coat of paint. Then repeat. 

Id have to buy protective gear. Etc 

but I think the boat yards charge a lot 

I’d really rather tackle it myself but thinking it over

what say you?

Probably the worst job of ownership; and the one that may be worth others to do it.

I wouldn't worry so much about sanding.  Maybe feather in bad areas, but I wouldn't go nuts.

Bottom of my Mako looked like a moonscape with a couple decades of hard antifoul.  When I finally had it blasted, I gained .5 - 1 knot at cruise.

Hard or ablative?

Bottom paint is easy .done it alot but it does suck. Worst thing is sanding. You will get the taste of metallic in your mouth if you don't wear  protection. Only last a day but if you smoke it intensifies it.  So don't plan on having taste buds for a day,in other words eat a healthy meal before hand. Only thing I have found to help overcome it is heavy blacken season.lol. just YouTube it cant mess up.

Get a sanding attachment for a long paint pole. Makes it a lot easier. Give it a good pressure wash, sand the bad spots, tape it and roll it on. You'll save some money doing it yourself for sure. I wouldn't worry too much, its bottom paint

What kind of boat?  How big?  On a trailer?  Can you and some friends block it up?

If you can safely block it up yourself, do the job yourself and save the Grand.

You can get it up on blocks enough to paint around the bunks with the trailer jack.

Otherwise it’s just a nasty dirty job. 

Have to say it looks worse than mine ever did at 2 years, maybe that’s just more usage.   

I think if I was having a yard do it I’d have it blasted clean and start with epoxy coat.  

Should have been powerwashed immediately after being pulled.  Makes like a lot easier down the road. 

I was about 15, sanding bottom paint, is when I decided to go to college.

Before even going through the hassle of blocking it, I would give it a good power washing, and spend a few minutes working on the worst spots.  You'll either make rapid progress and decide the job is worth doing yourself, or it will be evident that it's a nightmare.

What's your time worth?  What's doing the job your way to your satisfaction worth by comparison?  What's your laziness level (mine is quite high, that's why I'm comfortable asking other).  :)

For a marina to block, wash, sand and paint that boat right, you're looking at at least a grand, probably more.

To block it yourself, wash it, sand it reasonably, tape it and paint it, probably what, a solid 8 hours, spread over two days?

I have done the Jack Stand in my yard thing sanded, primed, painted, etc.. Takes a lot of time and not enjoyable at all. Last year had it done by someone else. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

don't load the 1st coat = make / spread it just to cover thin , the second coat is your protection coat to send it home 

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Should have been powerwashed immediately after being pulled.  Makes like a lot easier down the road. 

I was about 15, sanding bottom paint, is when I decided to go to college.

Chris Crafts, Bertrams all wood boats when I was a kid , we used to mix Kerosene with the bottom paint 

Posted (edited) · Report post

One more suggestion - when the bottom is painted - have them paint the rest of the bow section that was left unpainted.  This is purely aesthetics, but IMO it will look quite a bit nicer, black bottom will also camouflage the grungy water line a bit better.  Most Contenders are done this way, especially the ones that have their bottoms gelcoated a different color.

Edited by Cpalms

Posted (edited) · Report post

depends if you want it done right.

I'd use ablative, put down a color other than black (blue maybe), then two coats black.

You'll be good for multiple seasons, when you start seeing blue peeking through you know you're ready for another application.  Touch up the waterline by hand every spring for aesthetics.

Edited by makorider